Hormonal Plucking?

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
Hello all. About a month ago I brought Roxy to my mother-in-law's house for birdsitting for a few days. She has been there several times over the past 4 1/2 years varying from 2 days to 3 weeks once when they were doing work on my apartment. She has two birds as well, and Roxy always seems to like it there because she talks to the other birds and I have never had a problem. Until this last time. The very next day after I dropped her off, Roxy had pulled a large majority of her chest and neck feathers out. Roxy has NEVER plucked before EVER. I don't understand why she would do it so acutely. I thought maybe it was stress. Anyways, I brought her home and she stopped.

Her feathers grew back in a lot, and three weeks later (last week) she laid two eggs. This is normal for her, last year she laid a clutch every three months. I keep them in there for 30 days then take them out, unless she breaks them and eats them first. This was her first clutch since December, but still no issues with binding or anything. So, I figured that maybe the plucking was hormone related. She accidentally broke both of these eggs (she does a lot of kicking around) and ate each one. The last one was a few days ago. Well last night I saw her pluck a feather out right in front of me. I put her in her cage and covered her for the night and over night she had plucked all of the new ones out that had just grown in! Does this sound like something hormonal? I am making an appointment with the vet for this week just in case. I am just so upset that she is all of a sudden plucking like this. I only feed her fresh food, no pellets, and I have always been very careful about what I give her.

Please help!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
It's good that you're taking her in to the vet to rule out any medical issues. You'll also want to consider if anything has changed in her environment.

But there is a good chance that this is related to her egg-laying. I've not experienced this with my ekkies, but I've heard cases where a female ekkie will pluck herself to make nesting material for her eggs. Has she been putting the feathers anywhere in particular?

OP
C

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
It's good that you're taking her in to the vet to rule out any medical issues. You'll also want to consider if anything has changed in her environment.

But there is a good chance that this is related to her egg-laying. I've not experienced this with my ekkies, but I've heard cases where a female ekkie will pluck herself to make nesting material for her eggs. Has she been putting the feathers anywhere in particular?

I know that sometimes they will pluck their chest feathers out when nesting, but she does not appear to be putting them anywhere in particular. Plus she is also plucking the feathers out on the back of her neck, so I'm not sure that's what it is.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Here is a link to a very informative thread started by Allee which might give you some insight into what is going on with Roxy as well as possible approaches to helping her through it.
http://www.parrotforums.com/showthread.php?t=52217

But has anything changed in her environment?

I also wonder if she might not be reacting to some skin irritation or something?

OP
C

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
Went to the vet and he agreed that it appeared to be hormone related. He said her weight is great and she otherwise looks good. He gave her a hormone shot which I was not too happy about but I said ok since he's the expert. Now here we are one week later, and she pulled out the few new pin feathers that had grown in. Is there any significance to the fact that she appears to be doing this overnight? I emailed the vet, and he suggested a stronger dose of the hormone shot...

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Birds can pluck any time, but many pluck at night while no one is watching, it seems they know they have a problem but can't resist the urge.

I understand your fear of hormone shots but I think your vet is probably right about Roxy, the sudden aggressive feather pulling and egg laying. I'd give the hormone shots a chance. When her hormone levels drop back to normal she should be okay. Hopefully this is a one time episode and Roxy won't repeat it. Best of luck. Please keep us updated.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Were any tests performed? Blood work? Fecal? X-rays? Any skin samples?

Yes, it could be hormone related, but has everything else been ruled out? Getting shots may or may not be the answer. I have heard the implant is more effective than the shots, and that is assuming it is hormone related.

OP
C

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
Were any tests performed? Blood work? Fecal? X-rays? Any skin samples?

Yes, it could be hormone related, but has everything else been ruled out? Getting shots may or may not be the answer. I have heard the implant is more effective than the shots, and that is assuming it is hormone related.

He did not perform any tests this time. He said he saw no reason to perform bloodwork because it appeared to be hormonal based on the locations of the plucking and the egg laying.

I emailed the vet and let him know that she pulled out her new feathers, even after the shot, and his suggestion was to just give her another shot. I have to find the money if I am going to do that. These shots are over $200 each!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Well, for $200, you might as well get some tests done! Or find another avian vet!

Most Reactions

Latest posts