hormones or illness??

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
I have read that if they "lay down" it is a sure sign they are female and this is a part of a mating behavior..... Anyone know if this is true? I was told Sammy was a male, but I realize this just may be what the owner wanted and not an exact truth.

Sammy does that a lot when I talk to him, Even does it on my hand if I am holding him.
He is also shaking his wings while he is laying. just lifted them off his body, not spreading. (as if getting ready for a flight take off )
He seems like he is shaking at other times to without the laying or moving of the wings, best I cant describe it , its like a shiver that we would do in the cold.

anyone familiar with this behavior? I have read they tend to get moody during this time and I wanna be sure I know what is going on to avoid bites. lol

I realize I post lot's of questions, but I am trying my best to learn. I am not trying to be annoying.

thanks so much

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Never feel bad for asking questions, it's always better safe than sorry :)

My female Galah Rosie doesn't do that, but my African grey(unknown gender) does. BUT Kenji my grey isn't doing it as a hormonal behavior, but begging. He doesn't know how to fly, and often gets down low, holds his wings out a little(shaking them some).

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, Ashley is right, it could be begging behavior. :)

It's not really breeding time for Amazon right now, even though my Hunter DOES occasionally get in the mood and does this, too.

lpolliard

Sep 1, 2012
Media
Mission Viejo CA
Parrots
Male Eclectus ~25 years old (rescue)
My male Ekkie does this and it means he wants to be somewhere else, but he is too afraid to fly there. We are working on his confidence.

OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
thanks. I just wanted to be sure, figure the best place to ask is here ! after all, you guys have helped me since day one of him coming home. lol thank God for this site and all of you

OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
just an update, he is back to his usually self and personality today,! yippee!

Most Reactions