HORMONES!!!

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
Is anyone else's parrot showing signs of being hormonal right now? Sugar is constantly screeching very loudly and when on top of her cage will lunge at me if I walk by!

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Is anyone else's parrot showing signs of being hormonal right now? Sugar is constantly screeching very loudly and when on top of her cage will lunge at me if I walk by!
None of mine are, but I also go out of my way to try to keep hormones at bay. We get 12 hours of sleep, daily baths, no sugar in our pellets, tons of veggies and almost no fruit, thirty minutes to an hour a day in the fresh outdoors, and seed is only used as a treat.
I don't allow my birds to play on top of their cage. I think a lot of birds are cage aggressive at least two of mine are. I have found I can avoid a whole lot of drama by having them play in a different room than where their cages are.

OP
Tanglwood02

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
None of mine are, but I also go out of my way to try to keep hormones at bay. We get 12 hours of sleep, daily baths, no sugar in our pellets, tons of veggies and almost no fruit, thirty minutes to an hour a day in the fresh outdoors, and seed is only used as a treat.
I don't allow my birds to play on top of their cage. I think a lot of birds are cage aggressive at least two of mine are. I have found I can avoid a whole lot of drama by having them play in a different room than where their cages are.
She gets more than 12 hours of sleep...probably 14. She gets plenty of baths, no sugar, she's not much on eating veges...the only thing I have a problem with. But I do make her an excellent mash that does have veges in it but she picks thru them. She will eat bell peppers and only gets a bite of fruit as a treat as she won't eat seeds or nuts. Her favorite is chickpeas and whole wheat pasta (I limit the amount of pasta I put in their mash). On nice days she gets at least 3 hours of outside time sometimes more. She's never been cage aggressive...only when she's hormonal. I've done my research on cutting down the hormones...I was just wondering if anyone else's birds were acting this way.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Yes. All 3 of my parrots are hormonal right now, and 2 are molting. I personally don’t change their diet, or do anything different when they are hormonal. I used to make changes in the past like changing lighting, diet, their toys in their cages I’d move around and such. It didn’t change anything so I myself stopped. If they are molting I give them baths more often.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Cant say as my Amazon Salty is hormonal right now. We had a HELL of a mating season earlier in the year tho.

Most Reactions

Latest posts