Horrible experience...

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure called JellyBean
I just have to share... cos there are not many people who understand!

Today, I left JellyBean in the kitchen as I went upstairs to do some work.. he has the run of the kitchen and can fly up to me if he wants! Which he mostly does!!! Anyway after about 10 minutes I was wondering where the little Bean was as I usually call to him and his whistles or chirps back..

Went down to the kitchen and zero sign of him.. I called and called and nothing. At this point I started to panic.. check the windows, checked upstairs.. checked everywhere.

I then noticed that the top drawer in a set of drawers beside the sink was slightly open.. so I opened that carefully calling him all the time.. Nothing.. I took out all the drawers. Nothing. No sound. I then called my partner and was in floods of tears.. I looked at the back of the press and there was a opening about 3 inches - I was utterly scared.. he must of gotten down there.. I ran for tools and screwdrivers to try and get the panel of. After 10 minutes, I could lift it so that I could put my hand behind the panel. I was so so frightened that I would find a suffocated or stuck bird.. Still crying so much, I reached in - and nothing... I called him again.. nothing.

Finally, I put hand down so that it went under the base of the drawers - there was a small gap... and then all I could feel was his little foot stepping up on my fingers and a gentle "JellyBean"

Words cannot express my complete relief - I cuddled him so much - I was so happy he was fine... Such a dreadful experience.. but a happy ending!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
What an awful experience for both of you! I'm so glad this scary story had a wonderful ending. These things happen so fast no matter how hard we try or how well we plan. I admire your quick thinking, it sounds like you rescued Jelly Bean immediately. Hugs to you and skritches for Jelly Bean.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Wow - I can't imagine the feelings that you must have been going through. You kept your composure though enough to take things apart.

Lullx

Mar 6, 2015
Central New York
Parrots
Nephele - Baby CAG | Genevieve & Phaedrus - Green Cheeks | Lucy - Lutino Cockatiel | Ludo, Zero & Anzu - Budgerigars
I'm so glad JellyBean is okay!

I've "lost" birds in my apartment before and it's always really scary. Losing budgies in various rooms is why I started clipping their wings. Someone would get startled and fly around, causing everyone else go to into that same panic mode, and then budgies go zooming off into different rooms simultaneously. The bigger birds understand how to find their ways back to their cages, but my budgies seem to get really confused and just kind of cling to whatever they landed on in the other rooms haha
Since they're so small and scared, they don't make a sound so it's like a giant game of I Spy, trying to spot them and take them back to safety.

I've also lost my green cheek a few times. Now she's not allowed out of her cage if I'm not in the room or the very next one. Well that, and she's just plain naughty and likes to get into everything at every chance. Conures love to hide and wiggle into things (as you're well aware of haha!) so it's one big scary game of hide and go seek with her.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
What a scary few minutes you had there! So glad JellyBean is safe and sound.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Man, do I also know that gut tearing panic!
My JoJo purrs like a kitten any time I leave a drawer open and will explore it to no end!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Been there in that panic too. I've had to restrict Venus to her cage now because she roams so much now and if I can't watch her, it's a no go. Here is an example. I was on a work call, she is playing in her box but then I see her waddle towards the kitchen. No appliances were on but I could hear little parrot feet padding on the floor and tinkling sounds. Below is what I found. No it wasn't running, nor was it warm or hot but talk about a mischievous little opportunist!! Kitchens are definitely dangerous so I've incorporated new rules that are slowly being accepted by her Highness.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452829868.719271.jpg

OP
J

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure called JellyBean
Thanks everyone... I had felt like a very neglectful parent!!! At least it happens to others.. and yes, JB is obsessed with drawers!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I'm glad that turned out well! My darling Titan escaped his tub before he was even fully feathered (that's him in my sig pic) and I was away from home. When I got back and couldn't find him I nearly died. I have a cat! My us and and friend and I tore apart the entire house. He found his way to the farthest possible corner of the house, under a closed door, into a closet, under some laundry, and into my shoe. I know that sickening feeling of being sure your "oversight" has killed your baby. I'm so glad you were able to come out of this one ok!

Most Reactions