horse owners?

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I will keep that in mind, thanks. No I have not seen them yet. Trying to figure out when to go see them. I'll take pictures, and hopefully my phone cooperates and uploads them. In the meantime, I will ask for more current pictures of them, since all will be yearlings between May and June.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
If I had to pick from that bunch the 3rd photo with the 4 stockings would be the first choice. I’m pretty sure he’s just leaning/turning that way not actually pointed out Permanently but I’d definitely Double check. The second choice for me would be the last young filly (she might be a little too under in the back but better photos would probably be needed to tell for sure). Then, the first photo would be 3rd choice but new photos might change those rankings depending on how they are growing.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
We are going to go look at a used trailer tonight(hopefully), and are going to go look at the babies on Friday at 10am. :D Exciting!

If the person who wants the buckskin hasn't put a deposit, would it be poor form to buy the colt out from under them? We will be there, cash in hand, ready to make a purchase and potentially even with a trailer. Provided the buckskin still looks good confirmation, movement, and nature wise.

Another factor we just decided on in our decision making process is we don't want a flashy animal. We want something quieter than an atv to sneak up on trespassers, so a big bright white or spotted horse would not exactly blend in. Hahaha not that that applies to any of the colts we are considering from that ad, but the buckskin probably has the best potential to "blend in" to the forest. Shrug. Not a huge deal, but also worth considering.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Exciting! Cash in hand and first come first serve! That's the rules of the world! The other person isn't as serious as you.
Make sure he us as good in person.
This guy seems like a more true breeder and upfront, so I ha e a good feeling about your visit! I hope he will be a resource and helpful in the future. Make sure to ask about vaccine when and what he will need, how often he deworms, a d what type he uses, what his favorite fly spray is. Ofcourse save question until after you've decided which one you want. Ask what carrier he uses, and what tools he had in ha d to do himself. If he is good and wants to talk share and explain, see if he will demo a hoof trim, or if you can come back to observe one.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
A lifetime ago, I had a Palamino Quarter Horse. His name was Aspen & I adored him. The smell of the barn and horse stalls were like heaven to me. It was my special me time.

Cv35RWI.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We are going to go look at a used trailer tonight(hopefully), and are going to go look at the babies on Friday at 10am. :D Exciting!

If the person who wants the buckskin hasn't put a deposit, would it be poor form to buy the colt out from under them? We will be there, cash in hand, ready to make a purchase and potentially even with a trailer. Provided the buckskin still looks good confirmation, movement, and nature wise.

Another factor we just decided on in our decision making process is we don't want a flashy animal. We want something quieter than an atv to sneak up on trespassers, so a big bright white or spotted horse would not exactly blend in. Hahaha not that that applies to any of the colts we are considering from that ad, but the buckskin probably has the best potential to "blend in" to the forest. Shrug. Not a huge deal, but also worth considering.

Horse trailers are rarely properly cared for and with the vast majority having a steel structure floor with wood planking or plywood flooring. The combination of poor care and horse pee; the floors commonly need to be replaced. Also, the wheel bearings are commonly bone dry and the tires are age checked (cracked).

Bring a floor jack or a barrow jack so that you can lift it up and inspect the steel floor structure and the wood flooring. Don't be surprised if the floor is rotten and the steel floor structure is little more than fragments of their original self. Lift one side and check the undercarriage and while still in the air attempt to spin each wheel. They should spin with near zero effort and without any noise. It is common for Horse Trailers to have excellent tire tread, but be dry rotted (age checked /cracked). Repeat on the other side. I like to use a standard screwdriver to poke at the steel frame. Dry rotted tires - replace before hauling horses.

Keep in mind, horse trailer failures make the 6:00 News, its an automatic!!! Don't be that guy!!!

Take a long look at the hitch and all the working parts. The swivel should work smoothly, by rotating right and left. Note: Some trailers will have brakes, look the system over closely, they commonly do not work well. If you buy the trailer, assume that they do not work by driving accordingly! Trailer lights, rarely work, commonly poor grounding of the system. Newer trailers will have a ground wire that is common for the full system (they are worth the extra money).

Assure you have the correct ball for that trailers hitch. Common ball size above 2". Call and ask!

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
" Another factor we just decided on in our decision making process is we don't want a flashy animal. We want something quieter than an atv to sneak up on trespassers, so a big bright white or spotted horse would not exactly blend in. Hahaha not that that applies to any of the colts we are considering from that ad, but the buckskin probably has the best potential to "blend in" to the forest. Shrug. Not a huge deal, but also worth considering. "

We have friends at the cottage and they have horses that they ride year around. Their Winter, long-body riding coats are to die for... Anyway, both horses are black as a moonless night! They have no problem come up on me in the dead of Winter on a bright sunny day!!! Unless your trespassers know that you are coming at a specific time, you will be on them long before they see you on a horse...

FYI: He has a long rifle that he carries off his saddle year around. He has the same problem you do, but commonly young adults free camping on this front acreage. We, as you have black bear and according to him, he commonly comes across them while riding... I believe that your State like Mine is a year around open carry State. Black Bear will common go the other way, but a moma with cubs.... Not so much...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
A lifetime ago, I had a Palamino Quarter Horse. His name was Aspen & I adored him. The smell of the barn and horse stalls were like heaven to me. It was my special me time.

Cv35RWI.jpg
Aspen was a gorgeous horse!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Bug N flock!!!
Can't wait to hear if you are bringing home a yearling!!!!! And you better post a ton of pictures!

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Oh I will! Ok, changing out of PJ's, letting dogs out, and heading to the farm! We just watched one of our hens give a piggyback ride to a hawk. O.O walked the hakwk all the way over into the barn, at which point the hawk decided a chicken breakfast was less appealing than getting out of the strange cave. Smart chicken. We need to actually get on locking them up. At this point we know we have to, we just have not had the time yet to build a large coop and enclosed run for them.

We have to soon tho! Yesterday 4 hawks were flying around. Maybe the pair that nested in the area last year, and 2 adult chicks? They seemed friendly to each other at first, then one started trying to chase off 2 others.. Anyway, back to getting ready to go!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Can't wait !
A cheap feed to have on hand is that hard corn on the cob they sell for animals. Has to be good quality no mold! But you only need to feed about 4 ears aloung with hay a day to maintain your horse. That's what we did in winter. Store careful to keep our nice and pests and mold and damp.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
So. Bit of an unexpected twist. We put a deposit.... on a filly. And not any filly, but the "ugly" black one from the ad. I was hesitant to choose the cheapest one and a filly at that, but I just couldn't walk away from her personality. In person she seems better put together than in the ad. Honestly, all of the foals were much better looking in person than in the photos on the add. The breeder has been doing this for decades, and has the family of our little filly for generations back. He knew off the top of his head details about the sire, dam, grand sire, etc of each of the foals(not all related. A few half siblings though). We had a nice chat and spent plenty of time in the barn with the foals really thinking about it and getting to know them. In the end, the black one just won me over with her personality. She just wanted to be up close and personal with me getting loved on and scratched all over.

The breeder will be bringing her to us on Sunday afternoon. We can always call and change our minds on which one we want, but I think we will not change our minds. Here is a bad photo of her; I will post better ones when she gets here. The photo was an afterthought. I was so focused on just being there that I only thought of taking a pic when we had decided on her and were starting to leave.

20200221_122723.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well she is the only one I would not have choosen... Thin neck thin build , ( no horse is ugly , just a term)
But you were there. I'm happy you will be adding a new baby to your home. Glad he seemed like a good guy.
Heart counts for a lot, and willingness, good temperament is very important! :) Maybe she will grow into herself and really shine. How old is she?

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I feel like I rained on your parade. I just wanted to add, a pretty horse doesy mean squat if you can't work with it or trust it!

So yippie! A sweet filly!! What's the name going to be? Or are you waiting till you know her better? I hope she is a big blessing and keeps you safe! Horses can be as protective as dogs. Keeping out critters , alerting you to strangers.

My mare Outlaw wasn't pretty, besides her wonderful color. And she protected me once from a pack of roving stray dogs. She kept her body between me and them, and kicked out and tried to bite them. And once when I was 13 or 14 I was riding her on an empty country road far from home. A group of men came by in a car, then came back and brought a man on a motorcycle. They tried to catch us. ( Yeah I've had an interesting life) one guy almost grabbed her bridle,but she body checked him, and spun. She was a real smart mare. We had to take to a feild of new corn, they followed us for an hour till I got close to farm houses..( police didn't find them)

So I'm wishing you that same special relationship with your new filly! That's she's smart, sweet and protective! I've loved my mares the best I have to say! And they one day you get to breed her and have the joy of a new foal as a bonus.

I'm so excited for you. I miss having a horse in my life so much!

Last edited:
OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Hey, don't even worry about it. You literally can't rain on this parade. We are just too excited. :D Plus, you were helping me to choose so you were just expressing your opinion! No problems at all. :)

We figured starting with a sweetheart was easier for us with limited experience than starting with a more unsure baby. 2/3 colts were unsure(not crazy or wild). The buckskin was more willing to come up to you and interact, but he didn't seem to care for his halter and lead too much at all. The sorrel was so, so lovely in person, but he never let me pet him. He would come up and sniff me but was still quite unsure, and the chocolate and white was way more timid. Not scared outright, just unsure and shym the breeder hadn't had the time to work much with the colts but was starting to. The fillies seemed way more used to people. The black was a total love after the initial shyness. She came up and sniffed me a bit and I slowly petted the tip of her muzzle and worked my way up her face. By the time I got to the top of her head she was putty in my hands and let me touch her everywhere. The pretty champagne filly in the ad was a bit more shy than the black, and the classic champagne was a sweetheart like the black. The classic champagne was a much smaller filly tho, even tho she was the same age. She had had a slow start since her mom was a first foaler and didn't have a lot of milk at first. We decided against that sweetie simply because she was small and we figured we were going with a small, but still full sized breed so better to not get a small individual.

In the end the decision was between the black, the sorrel colt, and the buckskin colt. They were all absolutely stunning animals(the photos do NOT capture the colors of these animals well), but we decided to go with the taffy lump rather than the buckskin or the sorrel. Again, the sorrel was just a bit too shy as yet for me to feel confident choosing him, and the Buckskin, tho willing to come say hi, was frisking around trying to get off his halter and lead. Another thing we had to consider was access to our farm, afterall. The dirt road "driveway" we have would no way let a loaded horse trailer not get stuck, so we will have to have the breeder bring the foal to a cross street around 1/4 ish of a mile away and walk the foal up thru our neighbor's field. A horse who is unsure of the halter yet, or one who is shy would not be an easy animal to lead up thru the field. Butters walked it easily when we first got him(with a little bit of jack donkey trying to nip us along the way), I'm sure this filly will too. But we were on the fence about the buckskin doing it or the sorrel. The breeder said his lines calm down real quick, and he did seem to be speaking the truth, but we decided the black was probably the best choice. Plus, SHE IS SUCH A SWEETIE!! He did say they tend to calm down after a trailer ride. IDK how true that is, but he was saying his next step with the colts would likely be trailering them and going for a ride or two.

We did not tell him exactly when we would be coming in the window he gave(he drives the school bus for the local high school and needed to do the afternoon driving). When we got there he was in the barn working with the chocolate and white colt on the halter. He didn't really know when we pulled up(he had a tractor idling nearby), and he was using very gentle techniques to gentle the colt. Even kissed him right on the nose, after talking quietly and breating in his nostrils.

He was not ingluencing me talking to the babies. In fact, he and hubbs got distracted talking about security cameras as I went around interacting with the babies. Apparently he has had people steal horses from him several times. Just pull a trailer up, load a group of horses in, and take off. One time they even came up to his barn and stole horses right out of their stalls!

As for a name, maybe Strawberry(Berry for short), but we are not set on that. Probably will decide after she has been here for a little while. It took us a couple weeks to settle on Butters' name if I remember right. Today the plan is to do a bit of pasture work and organizing of supplies in the house. We figure tomorrow we will be glued to the farm doing horse things, and then in the first half of next week we will finish going to stores and then be done and just here. We have plenty of projects to do here anyway, so nbd.

Yesterday got some information about where to take a soil sample to get some advice on how to improve the soil and what types of grass we should plant in the pasture. I also ended up getting a painful tick bite on my back that is still sore and itchy this AM. Hoping that turns out to be nothing, but we kept the tick in case we need to have it tested for any tick borne illnesses. Yipe!

And a balanced barefoot farrier finally got back to me, so we will try to figure out a time to have her come out and trim Butters and maybe do a little desensitization on the baby. Butters had his feet done a couple of weeks ago, but by someone who knows horses better than donkeys. He had some thrush and toe separation going on(horse feet are left longer than donks, so he hasn't had a proper trim in ages). Hopefully this farrier can get his feet the right shape for a donk and give us some advice on trimming and feeding. We have cut Mr. Butts' sugar waaay way back, and are putting in a "gravel"(creek rock. lol the stuff is free, we just have to move it) pen for him to keep him out of the mud and off the spring grass. Thankfully he isn't foundered or anything like that, but he did seem stiff and sore for a little bit. We have been using 3 products in rotation to clear up his thrush, and it does seem to be working, but his feet are too long for a donk and it is trapping material. The sooner he has a proper trim, the sooner we can fully beat out this thrush.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Today's the day!!!!!! Can't wait to hear the update on the new yearling!!!!!!
Whoop!!

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
She will be here by three! We are putting the last touches on the small pen we are keeping her in for the start. We cannabalised the top wire from Butters' pasture(it was like a foot over his head lol) and are now detangling the nightmareish mess of wire and then stringing it up on the T-posts we drove yesterday and running it over the "driveway" to splice in to Butters' pen. We *definitely* have more poly wire SOMEwhere, but I tore the whole house apart top to bottom and cannot for the life of me find it! So we will be stopping by the feed shop first thing when it opens tomorrow for more poly wire and other fencing supplies. Thankfully we found a bag of insulators so we do have everything needed, but will have to replenish our fencing supplies asap and redo the wiring on her temporary pen. It is right up by the house, too. We will be able to see her out the windows!! :D at least for now, until we finish the pasture improvemwnt project. We have been directed to take a soil sample to the soil conservency to have it tested and get advice on what to add to the soil, and what grasses will grow well for us. My cousin suggested burmudagrass, but the feed shop was hesitent to sell it to us and suggested the soil sampling route to be sure it will work for us. The article my cousin went off of for suggesting bermuda was from University of Kentucky, so farther West in the state and more towards the flatland areas.

Also found out there may be grants to help us pay for fencing! Woo hoo! That would sure be nice if we could get reimbursed or partially so for fencing off a nice big pasture, and putting in a perimeter fence. Would cut down on wildlife in our clearing, but also predators. We don't have to fence the whole property either, just our clearing would up security a lot and cut down on predators. So next week we have some business with ole' Uncle Sam.

Most Reactions

Latest posts