Houdini!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
So last night my wife and I finish looking over my son's homework and head into the family room to do some flight training with Bixby. As some of you already know, I had been working with him on his flight skills in the smaller confines of my son's bedroom, and only recently (and with MUCH trepidation) have I moved the training out to the rest of the house. I worry, possibly over much, about him getting hurt with so much more space.

Progress has been considerably slower out of the bedroom. The extra space gets him all excited. And for Bixby, excited=clumsy.

So you can imagine our surprise and dismay upon discovering that Bixby WASN'T IN HIS CAGE! Yes, Bixby has pulled off his first cage escape! Apparently, my wife had forgotten to slide the latch on his water cup door, leaving it unlocked. And that was all my little green Houdini needed to sneak ever so quietly out of his cage!

Fortunately for us, all Bixby did (so far as we know, anyway) was climb up to his cage's playtop. And there he perched, quietly entertaining himself as we approached, our eyes wide with worry over what could have happened as much as with relief that nothing had.

He cocked his head inquisitively (and, I believe, with some amusement) at us as we approached, and I could see his thoughts as clearly as if a thought balloon had appeared over his head: "What's THEIR problem?" Smh.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Smart boy! He was having a good time and taking advantage of the parents :)

I think we've all been there at least once and for too owners probably several times.

I'm glad it ended well.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
So Bixby is super smart in addition to being gorgeous! So happy that nothing happened to him while he was out. Y'all are so careful with him, though, that I'm sure he didn't have enough time to get into mischief.
Hmm...so he is named after the Incredible Hulk, and has the skills of Houdini - wonder who he will emulate next?

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Our tame boy, Alex, will work out which door or hatches aren't locked, and escape. Our plumhead is the real escape artist though- he/she will work clamps off lifting doors, lift the door and escape :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts