Houdinis NO MORE

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
As some of you may remember, I had a "little" problem with Niko constantly opening and removing his food doors and dishes. Well, it didn't take Ripley long to learn how to open his food doors, even though it's an entirely different mechanism than Niko's. :11: Monkey see - monkey do.
Here was my dilemma for those who haven't seen it: http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/34640-living-houdini.html

I ordered those metal disks on eBay, but when they arrived I quickly realized there was no way I was able to use them. They were just a wee bit oversized:

Then my little Engineer in the making (my son Mark) came up with a BRILLIANT idea. He went to Lowe's, bought this long stick of metal, cut it, drilled holes, he got ALL the hardware, and he even installed his contraption for me....on BOTH cages. :D

Now how can innocent faces like these be so clever and ornery?

And yes, those contraptions work GREAT. Niko's been quite frustrated at his now inability to toss stuff out. :09:

The pictures of the contraption didn't come out well - I'll try and take some better ones.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Looks great wendy! They will never get that door open again.

OTOH, with those giant can openers mounted on their faces I think they could open a M1 Abrams Tank!!
Just give them time! lol

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I think they are AWESOME Wendy!!! Your sone did a great job! Yay!:jumping40

We all need a son who likes engineering! LOL!

Love the pics of Ripley & Niko, too! Great photos.

Did you do both cages? Hopefully neither of them will figure this out!

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

I can't contain myself here @ your comment about the giant can openers opening M1s!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! What a visual!!!

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I think they are AWESOME Wendy!!! Your sone did a great job! Yay!:jumping40

We all need a son who likes engineering! LOL!

Love the pics of Ripley & Niko, too! Great photos.

Did you do both cages? Hopefully neither of them will figure this out!

Oh yes, we HAD to do both cages because Ripley figured out how to open his feed doors, too. :52: It was quite funny the first time he did it. He had opened the breeding door unbeknownst to me. I was sitting on the couch, right next to him and kept wondering why he sounded as if he was on my lap. Looked to my left, and his entire head was out the door. :11:

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
LOL! Too funny! That must have been a nice surprise! NOT! ;)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That's a great idea! I have to be very careful to close Kenji's cage or he can open his doors LOL

I love the photos of them, so pretty :D

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I'm just amazed how gorgeous they are...I don't know anything about lock stuff, I'm just ga-ga over the profiles! :)

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
I'm sure that they're plotting the next takeover but I ask, How can those sweet faces cause so much mischief? ;)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I have the same cage for Lola and so far she's being good...I've been thinking of doing something to the doors if she tries to open them but so far she's fine and well behaved....she rather rip her toys apart.... :)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I have the same cage for Lola and so far she's being good...I've been thinking of doing something to the doors if she tries to open them but so far she's fine and well behaved....she rather rip her toys apart.... :)

I know they didn't do it for lack of toys or stimulation. Niko's been doing it for a LONG time, but Ripley shocked me.

They sure showed me. :eek:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
By the way, Willie's old cage had no screws cause he took them all off...He learned to open his existing cage even though its double latched.... :)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
By the way, Willie's old cage had no screws cause he took them all off...He learned to open his existing cage even though its double latched.... :)

:eek: OMG, are you serious???? Luckily the cage didn't collapse on Willie. :eek:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
It holds together just fine as it hooks together...it was a old style cage....

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I put pad locks on any houdini in the house....lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts