House Guests and Inherent Dangers

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
While most of us are cognizant of the dangers that hot stove burners present to our flock, never assume a house guest has any awareness of any bird dangers......

I just read about a visiting sister using the kitchen stove and not making sure where the family bird was. After turning off the burner, the family bird flew into the kitchen & landed on the still extremely hot burner, burning both feet. As it turned out, the burns were only superficial, but had the bird not lifted off the burner, it very well could have been a case of amputation instead of burn medication application.....

You might want to make a list of the potential dangers your house poses...and...invite all house guests to read this list...or...keep your bird caged during the guest's visit.....

Just figured it might be a good topic thread for discussion.......

aboyce76

Jan 29, 2013
Inverness, FL
Parrots
2 Yellow Collared Macaws-
Liberty and Faith
Blue Crown Conure -Charlie
Parrotlet -Willow
Peach Front Conure -Honor
Senegal-Patriot
That's an awesome idea!! I am about to have 20 people staying at my house for my son's graduation, some of those people being under the age of 11. I have contemplated boarding my girls but after the attitude I am getting from them now after just boarding them for 4 days (we went on vacation) I am a little hesitant to board them again so soon. We were thinking about moving their home to our bedroom while everyone is here but then they would be secluded and that doesn't sound like a good option to me either. Guess I will start working on that list NOW so come the 14th of June when the mass amount of people show up I will have something ready for them.

Wish me LUCK!!! I have never had that many people in my house at one time and they are all staying HERE!!! YIKES!

Thanks for posting this idea!! :D

OP
W

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I am about to have 20 people staying at my house for my son's graduation, some of those people being under the age of 11.

With that many, you're probably not going to have the control factor you normally would.....even adults might be tempted to poke things in cage bars, fingers, pencils, straws, etc., etc., etc., not to mention trying to feed them, who knows what.....

If it's possible, you might want to give more thought to moving them to your bedroom for the short time of the inundation.....

Congrats & good luck.....

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
always a great reminder :D

luckily my house guests are very attentive with that stuff and do think of our birds :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
House guests are a rare thing for us here anyway, but just because people are invited into my house does not give them permission to do things such as cook, go upstairs, open our windows without asking us first etc.

SO; basically, you're not allowed to even fart in my house without expressed permission to do so, that's how safe our bunch are around guests. :54:

It's basically a case of "unless you want a health and safety lecture for each event, don't ask/do" :rolleyes:

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
This is so true!! Great reminder post. Even keeping a list of "absolutely not" foods. My parents were notorious for feeding anything delicious to Georgie when i wasn't home and they were bird sitting. When i would hear things like "Georgie loves french fries. She ate a whole bunch of them." i would just cringe. Thank God it was never anything horrible like avocado but still.....a well meaning guest could easily try to make friends and feed something on the absolute NO list.

Most Reactions

Latest posts