Help and thoughts needed!

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
This is a bit of a long story ;)

I used to do wildlife caring, i have raised 7 baby possums and one wallaby, from when they have no fur and you have to wake up every 3 hours to feed them hahaha

Well, the last one i did was about 5 years ago!

And this morning, mum just called me and told me she found a dead wallaby on the road, and there is a little baby in its pouch, its so sad, people just hit them and drive off without checking pouches!

So mum asked me and said if i wanted to raise it, and then when it gets old enough, we take it to a wild life rehabilitation area, where you release them and they teach them to be free again!

I said yes, of course, they are adorable, having this little wallaby cuddling into you, giving kisses, chasing after you..

Mum is taking it to the vet first, to make sure its healthy, so i asked her to ask about if its safe to be around Fargo...

You guys might not have any idea about wallabies, but i thought i would check!

Is there diseases or anything dangerous that can be transferred across to Fargo?

I would keep it in my big walk in ward drobe while its a baby, so Fargo wouldnt actually be able to get into it/bite it or anything like that..

I could also put a big sheet across the entrance of it, so fargo has absolutely no access into that area..

Sooooo, do you think it would be ok.. or will it have some disease that Fargo might get and make him sick?

Or do i need to quarantine it for a week or so in another room?
:confused:
Should i email my avian vet and see what he says, even though he probably doesnt know about wallabies either :p
I have no idea haha

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
It's fantastic your mom is taking him to the vet :D If I was in your place I would contact your avian vet to see what they think. I think it would be fine as long as the wallaby is healthy.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
An avian vet is also a qualified 'normal' Vet too and considering your country I imagine they're somewhat skilled with the wildlife too. I'll have a quick nosey for zoological diseases that can pass but I say go ahead and ask your vets about them and see if they get in touch. For now I'll do some scouring for you!

I say go for it if you're confident you can help the wallaby, you sound like a good carer for it. :)

Edit- Cannot find any diseases that cross between wallaby and birds so I think you're safe for the most part. Just get him health checked and be vigilant with Fargo and I'm sure you'll be rightyo :)

Last edited:
OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Ok thanks guys!! and that would be very helpful Mayden :D

I will email my vet now!

Mum just called again and said he is a little boy :) and apparently he has a bit of a sore leg, its swollen, probably got hit by the car, but mum says he is very active and doesnt want to sit still hahaha

So will see what the vet says..

Sometimes at such a young age he might not cope well with an injury :(

But will keep you updated once mum goes to the vet, and if all is well then i will have pictures for you tonight!

Apparently he is just starting to fur up, so not really young, but i have raised ones before they have furred up before :)
Wallabies are much more of a handful than possums are, but i have nothing else to do with my time than sit in my room anyway hahahaha

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Awwww...I can just see in the local news...a macaw riding a wallaby....lol

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
awwww! I wanna see pictures when you get him settled in!! How exciting for you! :D

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
HAHAHA Mikey! Could you imagine that ;)

Heres a bit of a blast from the past..

My first possum, Tilly.. We took her on holidays with us hahaha She used to follow me everywhere, and do big leaps to me :p

And then this was Nylf, back in 2007, he got released on our property, and a year or 2 later, he came back, a big boy! He still remembered me and was super friendly even after all that time of being in the wild!

See, an animal never forgets

And lastly, Daisy, was my first wallaby, she used to give kisses :p

I was still in school when we had these, back in 2006-2008
So i was just on morning feeds and afternoon/night feeds

But i actually have a terrible sleeping schedule, because i fall asleep at my computer watching movies, and usually wake up at 3am, so wont have troubles doing those feeds now!

We have had- Tilly, Billy and Milly ;) hahaha

But if i get this guy, he will be called Cypher.. Little Cypher.. Such strange names i know :p

Fingers crossed he will be ok! :)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
what an experience of a lifetime!

can't wait to see some photo's.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Yay! Thank you to you and your mom for helping the little guy! :D Get us pics when possible, too, please. Wallabies are awesome!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Good thing I don't live in Australia or I'll be rescuing everything there is....lol

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Mum just emailed me a photo of him, she wants to call him Orgi -.- because she works in the organic industry haha

But then i thought an even better name would be Gimli ;) So it shall be Gimli haha

He is only 400 grams, and has a swollen foot, but he is alert and active so thats great!

Mum has given him a feed and took him to the vet...

They xrayed his leg and it is not broken, just very swollen and the tip of his tail has gone :(

Now its time to go find all the pouches in the cupboard and make up his bed! :p

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
Thanks for sharing so cute!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hehe thanks guys :)
My vet emailed back and said
Off the top of my head, no - there aren't any obvious diseases the joey can get from, or give to, Fargo.
All the best

:)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:eek: OMG!! WHAT an exciting day, Tab!!!

Yup, you've got a roommate now. :D

Gimli could NOT be in better hands. And I LOVED all the other pictures you posted, too.

I agree with Mikey, I'd be rescuing EVERYTHING in site if I lived in Australia. :)

That "joey" is just adorable!! May he grow big and strong for you. :D

Dacombe

Aug 13, 2011
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot, Rupee
That is the most adorable little animal! I wonder what he'll think of your macaw!

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
OMgoodness... SO CUTE!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Most Reactions

Latest posts