how accurate is avianbiotech?

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
i want to dna test one of my parrots and was wondering how accurate they are and how long does it take to get the results
thanks

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
99.9% accurate. It will also depend on how careful the person taking the sample is, & there isn't any cross contamination.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I got my results very quickly. The longest part of the wait was waiting for snail mail to get it there lol. Once they had it, I was emailed the results within a couple days.

OP
C

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
i found another website cheaper and i think it is just as good but do u get a free kit from them??

http://dna-vion.com/

also when u order whats the difference between the blood tubes and the blood cards and which is better?

Last edited:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I'm not sure about that company, I've never heard of them. I've been speaking with a lot of breeders as of late and it seems pretty unanimous that they all use avian biotech. I think I would rather use them just because of the reputation they have. So far, I have only ordered blood cards but they were completely free and arrived in less than a week. As long as you are careful not to contaminate the sample they seem really accurate and for $20, I'm not going to complain!

I also think it's a little strange that that company chose to name themselves DNA-vion, wouldn't it make more sense to call themselves DNA-vian?

From my understanding, a blood tube is when you actually draw blood(usually done by a vet) and then send them the vial of blood. avian biotech also does disease testing and this requires more blood than dna testing.

Last edited:

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
I did feather testing for Keen through avian biotec. They had the results to me the day after they received it. I was very pleased with their level of service.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
i found another website cheaper and i think it is just as good but do u get a free kit from them??

Bird sexing through DNA for all species of birds.

also when u order whats the difference between the blood tubes and the blood cards and which is better?

No you don't get a free kit... You actually prepay for the birds you want sexed....

When I did my birds many years ago, I used an Australian company... All I had to do was prick the birds foot to draw a drop of blood... The kit was free, but I then had to pay for the results... I still have four tests left... I might just test my Alexandrine...

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, I was surprised when my vet said they didn't use them for any kind of testing anymore due to the number of mistakes. They do seem to be highly recommended on this site and others. And the cost is certainly reasonable, both for DNA and disease testing. And who knows how long ago she had problems with them; I didn't ask. I just said. oh, really? And I was afraid to ask the cost of whatever lab they are using. I really don't want to spend $75 or something instead of $20.

I'll be there again late this week if you all want me to ask who they do recommend.

Most Reactions