How Can I Earn Money?

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
I need more toys, my cage is bare because the budgies have officially murdered all of their Christmas toys and all of my pocket money is geared towards an emergency vet bill as my parents won't pay and buying a new massive cage ( not that my current one is too small, in fact, it could probably comfortably hold four more ). I have tried making toys, those don't last long however.
So I need to raise some more money for toys.
Any ideas for making more money?

PS: I probably need about $20-$50.
Thanks in advance! :cool:

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
when I was your age I had a once a week job as a newspaper deliverer. It didn't pay too much but I'm sure it would do. Plus the extra money could go towards toys, cages, and even vet bills. but thats just a suggestion.

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
I don't think I can get a job at my age where I am, but I'll ask! Thanks!
What other odd jobs? It isn't Autumn. Thanks!

Last edited:

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
You could take a course or just offer your name up and see if you can get some babysitting jobs. That's what I did for money before I could get a job. :)

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
I was 11 when I got my job delivering newspapers. Some odd jobs you could do are things like walking your neighbors dogs, baby sitting, house hold things your neighbors don't want to do such as washing windows, mowing lawns, pulling weeds from flower beds theres all kinds of things you can do you just have to find it.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Ratzy you guys have a huge place, where you live.
Tell your folks you are willing to do odd jobs, around the house for an extra income.

Mention at your age, it would be difficult to find odd jobs. (here in S.A. you have to be 16 years) .
Good luck

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Try to establish youself as a pet sitter. It is especially needed for birds when people are away and want a caretaker for them.

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
Great ideas everyone, I like them all ( though Spiritbird's idea sounds excellent lol )! I'll ask mum and dad for odd jobs. Hopefully the person whose budgie I looked after will be spreading good stuff about me round ( I got rid of her budgie's biting issue and advised the owner ).

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
SB beat me to the punch on the pet sitting.

Also, we have a "pricelist" for chores around our house. Laundry, $2/load; extra day of dishes, $5; etc. Basically, it works out to $5/hr. I haven't done laundry for years. My youngest son earns all of his spending money by doing laundry. It may be worth talking to your parents.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
We don't employ paper round people under 14 because we'd hate them to carry anything too heavy!

I have however let some of the younger kids desperate to earn money do light housework around the shop.

IE: Dusting the shelves or hoovering the carpet or cleaning the fridge and windows.

Maybe you could combine this and ask at your local pet shop to go and keep their cages clean a couple of times a week for a small fee? Even better, you could explain what you want money for and say: I will clean the cages in return for some toys for my birds! It could even be an ongoing thing ;)

Good luck!

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
I do laundry already for no money :p
I did try doing a pricelist once but it didn't exactly last long :)
I could, Von!
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Most Reactions

Latest posts