How can I get my lovebird to eat fruits

PepeLoro/Mango

Sep 2, 2023
Parrots
Fischer's lovebird
I've had my feathered baby since December of last year, she came to us on a sunny dya out of the blue, she was dirty and tired and landed on the roof of my car, and till now I've been taking care of her, but recently I've just had anxiety over her diet and if it's lacking, I've investigated what diets and foods to buy her but it's never consistent information, I've tried giving her fresh fruits and vegetables but she doenst even pick at them, but rather shakes her head as in distaste, I've been giving her a generic seed mix with those colored beads, but I won't be buying it again since she clearly doesnt like them, she just leaves them in her container.
So bassically I just wanted to know if there's any recommendations to get her on fresh foods, and what I should be looking for in seeds or any food.

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
I've had my feathered baby since December of last year, she came to us on a sunny dya out of the blue, she was dirty and tired and landed on the roof of my car, and till now I've been taking care of her, but recently I've just had anxiety over her diet and if it's lacking, I've investigated what diets and foods to buy her but it's never consistent information, I've tried giving her fresh fruits and vegetables but she doenst even pick at them, but rather shakes her head as in distaste, I've been giving her a generic seed mix with those colored beads, but I won't be buying it again since she clearly doesnt like them, she just leaves them in her container.
So bassically I just wanted to know if there's any recommendations to get her on fresh foods, and what I should be looking for in seeds or any food.
That was very nice of you to take her in!
Lovebirds are quite picky eaters. My Dilute opaline lovebird was very picky when it comes to eating greens. But Now, she really enjoys carrots and other since I used a method:
One method is to demonstrate the food to the bird. That its edible, and can be eaten. If you have another bird which eats vegies, then let your birb watch. If you don't, and if your little Lovie is attached to you or spends time with you, You can eat that vegetable infront of the birb. this way, she'll find it interesting and would take a little nip, and if she likes it, will countinue, and if she doesn't, she'll just shake it off her beak and you'll have to try another.
You can also sprinkle seeds ontop of a vegie, make sure that its juicy and the taste of the vegetable/friut has become on the seed's shell. This way, When your bird picks a seed from the vegetable/fruit, she most likely will get interested and would take a bit from the vegetable/fruit, but this won't always work. This only worked for my budgies and not Snowii.
You can also make chop, and mix some of her favorite food into it, but make sure that her favorites are visible on top of the chop or anywhere that she can see. she most likely will recognize it as food.
And the last tip I can give you is that an only seed diet may make the bird happy, but its very unhealthy. Imagine giving your child a diet of only bread or rice, and no other adds. It can cause health problems such as liver fat disease and Hypovitaminosis A, Which are pretty fatal and hard to get rid of. In the wild, they may feed on seed but they fly many miles and forage, which give exercise and get rid of the fat. But as in captivity, a lovebird does not forage for food unless you give it foraging toys or outside-the-cage time. So I recommend a pelleted diet with vegetables. You can do further reasearch about on how to make your bird eat pellets. there are many tutorials on yt and on the web.

GoodLuck! I hope this helps!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
FYI, I just looked up peach faced lovebirds (PFLB) aka rosy faced lovebirds on Cornell University's E-bird website (you need a paid subscription to access the information) and I learned that they are native to dry woodlands and scrublands of southern western Africa that have adequate water from precipitation, rivers and streams. PFLBs feed primarily on seed pods and flower heads of Mimosa trees (Acacia and Albizia sp.) and buds and foliage of "various other plants" including Euphorbia sp.
They are also considered agricultural pests for grain, corn and sunflower crops.

I'm relaying this information about their diet in the wild because I have a subscription that's needed to access the info and it's probably the most reliable source for info about wild birds.

Since peach faced lovebirds don't eat much fruit in the wild it's not surprising that yours isn't interested in it. Obviously you don't have access to the seed pods from Mimosa trees so this diet is hard to duplicate in captivity but we all do the best we can. The dietary theme for parrots that are native to more open drier climates vs tropical rainforests seems to be their reliance on seeds and grains rather than fruits.

OP
PepeLoro/Mango

PepeLoro/Mango

Sep 2, 2023
Parrots
Fischer's lovebird
That was very nice of you to take her in!
Lovebirds are quite picky eaters. My Dilute opaline lovebird was very picky when it comes to eating greens. But Now, she really enjoys carrots and other since I used a method:
One method is to demonstrate the food to the bird. That its edible, and can be eaten. If you have another bird which eats vegies, then let your birb watch. If you don't, and if your little Lovie is attached to you or spends time with you, You can eat that vegetable infront of the birb. this way, she'll find it interesting and would take a little nip, and if she likes it, will countinue, and if she doesn't, she'll just shake it off her beak and you'll have to try another.
You can also sprinkle seeds ontop of a vegie, make sure that its juicy and the taste of the vegetable/friut has become on the seed's shell. This way, When your bird picks a seed from the vegetable/fruit, she most likely will get interested and would take a bit from the vegetable/fruit, but this won't always work. This only worked for my budgies and not Snowii.
You can also make chop, and mix some of her favorite food into it, but make sure that her favorites are visible on top of the chop or anywhere that she can see. she most likely will recognize it as food.
And the last tip I can give you is that an only seed diet may make the bird happy, but its very unhealthy. Imagine giving your child a diet of only bread or rice, and no other adds. It can cause health problems such as liver fat disease and Hypovitaminosis A, Which are pretty fatal and hard to get rid of. In the wild, they may feed on seed but they fly many miles and forage, which give exercise and get rid of the fat. But as in captivity, a lovebird does not forage for food unless you give it foraging toys or outside-the-cage time. So I recommend a pelleted diet with vegetables. You can do further reasearch about on how to make your bird eat pellets. there are many tutorials on yt and on the web.

GoodLuck! I hope this helps!
Thank you so much for the insight and tips I will for sure be trying out the sprinkling of something she likes onto fresh foods, I'll also look into buying those foraging toys, I've tried making her toys out of toilet paper rolls and paper cupvake liners,but she usually gets bored of them and just leaves them alone, I'll also look into the pellets mentioned, again thank you so much!

OP
PepeLoro/Mango

PepeLoro/Mango

Sep 2, 2023
Parrots
Fischer's lovebird
FYI, I just looked up peach faced lovebirds (PFLB) aka rosy faced lovebirds on Cornell University's E-bird website (you need a paid subscription to access the information) and I learned that they are native to dry woodlands and scrublands of southern western Africa that have adequate water from precipitation, rivers and streams. PFLBs feed primarily on seed pods and flower heads of Mimosa trees (Acacia and Albizia sp.) and buds and foliage of "various other plants" including Euphorbia sp.
They are also considered agricultural pests for grain, corn and sunflower crops.

I'm relaying this information about their diet in the wild because I have a subscription that's needed to access the info and it's probably the most reliable source for info about wild birds.

Since peach faced lovebirds don't eat much fruit in the wild it's not surprising that yours isn't interested in it. Obviously you don't have access to the seed pods from Mimosa trees so this diet is hard to duplicate in captivity but we all do the best we can. The dietary theme for parrots that are native to more open drier climates vs tropical rainforests seems to be their reliance on seeds and grains rather than fruits.
Thank you so much for sharing this, I fortunately live in a tropical area (Mexico) so I'll see if I can find what native seed trees are here and see which ones she likes, thank you so much! I've given her natural sunflower seeds and she loves to tear up the shells for the fruit, my sister also said she might like Cinamon sticks (I made sure it was the right kind) and to my surprise, for how picky she is she loves chewing that sticks up!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Also the size and texture should be varied until you find the right one. Some birds like their veggies in big chunks, some like them diced smaller and some like them almost puree'd. Experiment and find out his favorite.

Most Reactions

Latest posts