How can I help Cal?

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
So Cal has started her first moult. She's been losing her green feathers at a rate about one a day for the past week and all her little head and chest feathers are coming in like good un's!

Trouble is, she isn't taking to it well! She's in a bit of a mood, shall we say ;)

She's constantly crying for attention, even though we're in the room and when she has someone's full attention, she's all like: meh. lol

I did a few experiments with various fave foods,out time upstairs, cuddles etc and it turns out, she doesn't want any of that - she wants a shower. She makes this clear by doing the conure "excited" sort of dance when I show her the spray bottle.

I know however, that you can over bathe and at the minute, she wants 3 up close sprays a day and she'd have more I think!!

My question is, how many would you say, is too much?

Obviously, her diet is pretty darn good with the pellets/fruit/veg/nuts/mineral blocks but is there anything perhaps she should have more of to help her?

She's doing a really good job of getting rid of the pin feathers herself and I've only seen one blood one which has been replaced with feather already.

She's otherwise well, eating, drinking, playing,poops normal, snuggling...trying to pull me INTO the cozy hut with her by my index finger, talking...the usual! So I'm not worried of any underlying cause. This is just day 2 of the discontent and she's clearly well into her moult. It is appearing symmetrical also which was a relief.

In a nutshell, I've covered everything that my knowledge and books have to say on the matter lol.

I just don't want my baby to suffer if there's anything at all I can do to help her.

Thanks in advance guys xx

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
oh poor Cal :(, moults must be so irritating for our fids.

I don't know how much I can help, but I remember reading somewhere on this forum that some extra protein can be helpful during moults....nuts, eggs etc.

Ovbiously the water provides a relief for Cal's irritation. I have heard of people using aloe oil (is this correct :confused:) and adding it to the water spray. Not sure exactly how that works though, I think Spiritbird would know.

I hope Cal feels better soon :)

Jodi

Oct 1, 2010
East Coast United States
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Panini
Blue Crown Conure Amos
I do not know the answers to your questions, but does she take baths on her own? Panini goes into the shower with me and searches out his bathing bowl if I'm short on time and dont bring him in the shower.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Have you tried offering her a water dish so she can completely dunk herself under? She will at first just look at it and not know what on earth it is but if you keep on giving a fresh dish with luke warm water inside every morning then she will soon figure it out.

Sterretjie has a big lunch box (yes, lunch box) that she baths in almost every morning. She completely dunks her head and wings and then splash it over her back. When that is done she turns around and dips her whole backside until completely soaked. :D

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
Aww, poor Cal! There isn't much I can add to what you've been told here/have read elsewhere - added protein, baths and patience for any moodiness seem par for the course during molts. Cal's so lucky she has such an understanding mummy!!

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Thanks guys!

I too have read about the aloe, Ben but it wasn't a very positive subject from what I can gather...like you I don't know exactly the method lol :D

Yes Links, she likes to have a bath but not inside her cage - only outside. If you put a big bowl in her cage she ignores it. When it's on the living room floor - different story! I know....strange birds of ours! I do the spray bottle for her and she turns around and lifts her wings or wherever she wants to get wet. This is 3 times a day or 2 with a dunk bath lol. I just don't know if I can "over water" and get rid of too many of her natural bits!!!???

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey Von, don't know that you could really over bathe a bird, the way I look at it, many parrots are from the rain forrests of south america, where they get about 8-10 FEET of rain per year, I'm sure that keeps them pretty wet most of the time.....lol, I would just make sure that its warm enough for Cal after her shower, I'm not a big believer of using Aloe either, but thats just my personal preference :)

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Shame Von, yikes - sounds pretty hectic your side. I spray Rosie and she baths on her own - Linky has a great idea!!! Why dont you give your local vet a call and ask him/her? Rosie is also molting and can be quiet a madam. She also looks like she is being attacked by lice and will run faster than usual around her cage. The vet gave me Promolt 5 which is a vit supplement for molting and everyday use. I hope you can get it your side - it makes me feel relieved because I know that Rosie is getting everything she needs.

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Thankyou Bobby! I just worry ;) If I can let her be sprayed when she wants then that's great. She'll use her water bottle if I don't but madam does so prefer a hint of warmth in her water ;). I just tend to hold her close in a towel while she dries if the room isn't really warm.

That sounds fab, thanks Ecclipse!

I will have to ring and see if they have it available. They'll surely have a substitute regardless!

I just want her to be as comfy as possible!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Molting birds are like us ladies with a big case of PMS. Rosie was so so grumpy for quite a while. Vet told me extra protein and calories in the form of 3 nutriberries per day. I guess they just need our understanding of what they are going through and a little help with the pins on the head. Have faith it will come to an end with nice new feathers. After the molt is when Rosie really learned how to fly well.

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Thanks for asking guys ^.^
Cal was a lot better after a few days and has been her happy self the past week +.

It's quite a heavy moult and I thought I'd post to compare.

This is Cal during "grumpy" mode....

This is her today......

She's growing up SO fast!

She's beautiful.

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
Aww poor baby! Glad she's feeling better, those blood feathers and bald patches were probably too much for the little lover!

I see more yellow poking through the back there!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions