How can I stop this??

GCally

Jun 12, 2011
North Carolina
This is what happens NONSTOP with this bird. If he is in his cage and is in sight of us, he goes nuts. I've never had a bird like this. He won't just sit in his cage! All he wants to do is get out. I keep him in my room right now. When we walk in there, he screeches and goes nuts trying to get us to let him out. He was in out living room at first but I just couldn't handle this behavior all day long. I figure if I let him out when he acts like this, it will only encourage the behavior.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF3jObxAyAU]YouTube - ‪Gizmo being annoying‬‏[/ame]

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
You have had this little bird for 7 days. He needs time to feel secure in your household. He is a baby & was obviously handled alot @ the breeders. Give him the cuddle time he needs & then place him on top of his cage w/some toys. Talk to him as you go about the house & let him know that you are there. He does need to learn to entertain himself, but now he just needs to be reassured that he is loved. Can you move his cage to a more active part of the house? Try putting on some cartoons when he is in his cage, you just need to find what will facinate him, toys, tv, music. Once he is settled, he should feel more secure about being alone. He probably had other nestmates & other birds to keep him company. You are his mommy now, just like human babies, they all need different things to be satisfied.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
This is what happens NONSTOP with this bird. If he is in his cage and is in sight of us, he goes nuts. I've never had a bird like this. He won't just sit in his cage! All he wants to do is get out. I keep him in my room right now. When we walk in there, he screeches and goes nuts trying to get us to let him out. He was in out living room at first but I just couldn't handle this behavior all day long. I figure if I let him out when he acts like this, it will only encourage the behavior.

YouTube - ‪Gizmo being annoying‬‏

I'm glad you are aware of this. Give him some time to get used to his cage without reinforcing this behavior.

PS: Big cage and plenty of toys always help, lol.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I agree with merlinsmons13, she is 100 percent right. Great advice, you just need to be there for this little one right now.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Putting him in the other room alone is only going to make his anxiety worse.

Frankly, 7 days is a bit short for the charm of a new baby to have worn off. Do you really want him? The title of the video is a bit revealing. I'm just sayin....

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
My grey baby Ida does things like this to gain my attention. I try to ignore it, and when she is quietly sitting on one of her perches I praise her for being such a good parrot, and then I let her out.

OP
GCally

GCally

Jun 12, 2011
North Carolina
Yes I definitely want him. Just because he is annoying sometimes doesn't mean I don't want him! I love that cuddly bird. Im just frustrated because I didn't know how to handle this situation and I didn't want to do something that could ruin him. If its anxiety than I would let him stay out here with me. What he is doing is not anxiety it seems, as he does it even if I have the cage right beside me in the living room. I go get him out when he is being sitting nice on his perch. So I don't know what is best. Keep doing this, or just get him out and try to understand that he's a baby. But wouldn't that let him know that he's the boss when it comes to getting him out?

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Have you ever seen a nest of young birds? They pile on top of each other. Contact, heartbeat makes them feel safe. You can't disipline a newborn, worry about that later, just like human parents. Good luck

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Again yes merlinsmom is right. You have a baby who needs contact. Understanding the way wild birds are in the wild would help humans understand how to act with them. Unfortunately, many people don't have a clue how to deal with baby parrots :(. Please read and learn about them and how to deal with them so they can have the life they deserve.....

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
what it looks like to me is that he needs you, if you wanted a "cold" bird, why did you get a baby?

I dont see carrying around a baby for the next 6 months as spoiling the bird, wild Parrot parents try and keep the babys in the nest, its when the Babys are too strong and shove their way past momma and pop, when the parents finally give in and start letting them explore.
but you can be sure they still feed and care for their young until they are ready to leave, usually takes about a year from what I understand, and some parrots even live in family groups.

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Honestly, his behavior is not nearly what I would call 'annoying'. He is a baby that is desperate for attention, and he needs to be taught how to be alone. But this requires patience, and he certainly still needs time out with you! Teach him how to forage for food. Find out what his favorite foods are, and then stash them around his cage or inside boxes/tubes to keep him occupied. Try and make the time he spends in there more exciting for him. And also, I would definitely put him back into the living room. Putting him up alone is just going to things worse, and just being able to see you should put him in a somewhat more relaxed state of mind.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
we have this "problem" with Lucy as well. It's not really a problem for us though. She sqwaks loudly in the morning, around the time my alarm goes off (which I think is FANTASTIC!) and if it's the weekend or I don't have to go to work that morning, she gets to crawl into bed with us once she's settled down a bit. she'll snuggle up under the blanket and sleep. She's also on a schedule now, and that keeps her pretty quiet. she's got BUNCHES of toys to keep her occupied, all kinds of bells and hangy things and chewy stuff and a foraging box too. She knows when it's play/train time and is only loud when we walk into the apartment (her greeting to us), before bed, and in the morning. She gets a bit of cage time while i'm at work and the boyfriend is studying then she gets a few hours of playtime after dinner and before bed :) I know it's good to let the bird be natural, but i've found a bit of structure goes a long way :) hope this helps!

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I laughed at the part where he shakes his rump! Too funny!

Don't stress yourself too much, my GCC was the same. Given time he got used to being alone and entertaining himself. Don't get me wrong, he ALWAYS wants out, but the doesn't always get it. They are SUPER social birds, he's going to want to be around you a lot!

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
hey! dont stress out...that behaviour is MILD compared to what a lot of our feathered friends can get up to......hes just a baby, he needs time with you, and he needs to be moved back into the family area, and feel that he is part of your flock (family) You cant really start training birds till they are a bit older, at such a young age your main concern is to gain trust and avoid the bird getting separation anxiety and stress when returned to the cage....good luck, and most of all, have Patience, patience, patience........

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll hold him a lot more and focus on being his mommy right now :)

You will be sooooooo glad later. There's nothing quite like a hand-raised parrot that trusts you completely.

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
"Kiwi" My Hahn's Macaw and R.I.P. Buddy the GCC-2009 - 2011
Well, again, you have only had the bird for a week. And you probably want to keep the cage where most of the "action" happens. This might sound weird, but I doubt there are a bunch of people in your bedroom all day. He is adjusting, but just give him some attention...and if he keeps doing it ignore him, and when he is quiet take him out...:D:green2:

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
When I bought Alex home he was still formula dependant. He's spent most of the last 3 months living on my shoulder or hiding in my jacket where he feels safe. Because, at that age he would still be piled up safe in the nest with his siblings and parents. Since he had neither of those at his new place (he had his sister at the breeders) I had to become the substitute. Otherwise he would act like your bird, frantic to get out to be near you.

And now that he's older and almost weaned and confident in his abilities to fly and climb and feed himself, he loves to explore and do his own thing. He's happy and content now to be left alone in his cage when I have to go to uni. He's happy to be loaded into a travel cage and go on holidays with me. Most importantly he is happy, healthy and well adjusted with no behaviour problems. And I'd be willing to bet that anxiety when so young could cause issues later.

Like merlin said, "You can't disipline a newborn, worry about that later, just like human parents.". And in fact 'disciplining' a newborn and not giving it the love and attention it wants can cause anxiety and mental issues later in life, life difficulty forming attachments. Similar phenomenon happens throughout many animals where they receive extended parental care, parrots quite possibly being one. Let your bird be a baby bird. You need to be the parents and siblings he would normally be surrounded with in the wild at the moment. Training can come later.

Last edited:

Scotty T

May 26, 2011
Parrots
Red Factor Sun Conure
This is normal behavior. My baby sun just started doing this. It's a baby and needs lots of attention.

What I don't do is let the bird out when it's doing that and if he goes to crazy I'll cover his cage with a sheet until he calms down. Once he's calm I will take him out.

Never let your baby out when it's going nutz. Give it a moment to calm down then take him out.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Honestly i would ignore this behavior. Is there any reason why he can't be with the rest of the family I think he is feeling isolated being stuck in your room & needs to be with the rest of the flock (family)

You have only had him for a week & how you deal with behavior issues now is important. I don't see anything abnormal with the little guy most of my baby GC conures do the same thing especially at feed time you'll get one that is always first out the cage. He will settle down without to much fuss & your doing the right thing by not reinforcing the behavior to much. Give him a little plastic cat ball to roll around on the floor of his cage they love them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts