How do I find a local rescue to get involved in?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I canā€™t seem to find any that are near me. I am in New York, 40 minute north of midtown Manhattan. They seem to all be on Long Island?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Are there any closer?
Sorry, Iā€™m in Texas so I canā€™t really be helpful but maybe someone else who loves in NY can help.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The Long Island Parrot society may be able to help. They have rehoming program, but its not a 'sanctuary' in that parrots are temporarily housed n members homes until adopted. Connecticut has one too but in similar circumstances. The large amount of real estate needed to make a real, safe and suitable sanctuary makes having one in the NYC area, one of most expensive real estate markets in the country, unrealized. I wish I had 3 acres to donate to establishing one. But, but sorry, I am a lowly peon with a bare 1/4 acre.

Nearest one I can find is in the Berkshires. All the others are for native birds or handle sick or injured one.

Navygal

May 15, 2023
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Are there any closer?
Sorry, Iā€™m in Texas so I canā€™t really be helpful but maybe someone else who loves in NY can help.
Hi do you know of any in Texas, if so where? Thanks.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi do you know of any in Texas, if so where? Thanks.
I canā€™t really say what rescues here are good as all of them are pretty far from where I live.
I know of one called ā€œWings of Love Bird Havenā€ but have never been there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts