How do I introduce new veggies/fruit ?

Thehuffle

Oct 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
Huffle the grey Quaker parrot, poe the white & blue budgie, 2 breeding cockatiels
2 conures.
I have owned Poe ever since the end of May and he is not very tame but would happily sit with you and talk/chirp near you. He likes his greens, cucumber, apple (often) and grapes. But how do I introduce strawberries, banna etc, he has a separate bowl in his cage where they go but whenever I put something new in he hates it. I have tried scattering pellets on them but not bothered. What do I do?

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
You will have to slowly help him enjoy it. And there is a possibility he won't ever eat it. Because simply he doesn't like it. It could be the flavor or the texture it could be anything. What helps is showing him your eating it So try eating a fruit you enjoy together. Take a bite, and show him. But like I said it could be a chance he simply will never like it. Like some of us, have foods we don't like either. You could also try mixing it, with equal parts of what your feeding him, like a blend. I know this is how I got Teeko my conure to enjoy bananas! 😉 but I'd say if your bird is eating atleast some fruit and veggies your doing quite alright my friend! Best of luck. But don't worry so much about fruit..because fruit has hidden sugars. Focus on your veggies ❤️ and veggies are easy to blend without adding or taking away to much flavor.
PS: Teekos chop ingredients
Broccoli, Carrots, Snap Peas, Beets diced, for grains: flax seeds, Quinoa, millets, brown rice (optional) some owners dont like using rice, and lentils. I'll blend that. Then sprinkle his seed on top like a 5 star restaurant lol. And the fruit is for a treat, or dessert! Just a example to maybe help.

Last edited:
OP
Thehuffle

Thehuffle

Oct 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
Huffle the grey Quaker parrot, poe the white & blue budgie, 2 breeding cockatiels
2 conures.
You will have to slowly help him enjoy it. And there is a possibility he won't ever eat it. Because simply he doesn't like it. It could be the flavor or the texture it could be anything. What helps is showing him your eating it So try eating a fruit you enjoy together. Take a bite, and show him. But like I said it could be a chance he simply will never like it. Like some of us, have foods we don't like either. You could also try mixing it, with equal parts of what your feeding him, like a blend. I know this is how I got Teeko my conure to enjoy bananas! 😉 but I'd say if your bird is eating atleast some fruit and veggies your doing quite alright my friend! Best of luck. But don't worry so much about fruit..because fruit has hidden sugars. Focus on your veggies ❤️ and veggies are easy to blend without adding or taking away to much flavor.
PS: Teekos chop ingredients
Broccoli, Carrots, Snap Peas, Beets diced, for grains: flax seeds, Quinoa, millets, brown rice (optional) some owners dont like using rice, and lentils. I'll blend that. Then sprinkle his seed on top like a 5 star restaurant lol. And the fruit is for a treat, or dessert! Just a example to maybe help.
Thank you so much for the info! ☺️

Most Reactions

Latest posts