How often can I give my conure spray millet?

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
So after getting Maddox off some treats that I later found out are not the best for him, I finally got him to like spray millet which for some reason took some time. Since I am still training Maddox, I am looking for a treat that I can use pretty regularly, so I guess I am asking how often can I give Maddox millet?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So after getting Maddox off some treats that I later found out are not the best for him, I finally got him to like spray millet which for some reason took some time. Since I am still training Maddox, I am looking for a treat that I can use pretty regularly, so I guess I am asking how often can I give Maddox millet?
You can use a little every day if it's for training, I would say maybe a half a teaspoon? If it's just a treat for being amazing lol, maybe give him a little 'ball' or three, in other words, the little bits that stay together.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I cut those grape like things off the millet spray with a scissors because if you pull them they just fall apart.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
For training I think it’s important to find a treat they LOVE and then only give it to them when training. Ona absolutely loves safflower seeds and that is her training treat. If he likes the millet you could stick with that but if he’s not crazy about it keep experimenting until you find a treat he will want to work for.

I wouldn’t worry much about giving him too much millet unless you’re going crazy with it. It is easy to cut the pieces on halves or thirds to give smaller amounts.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right Onamom, you use the most favorite treat as the training tool exclusively, for the highest motivation in food oriented parrots (some would rather work for praise). Maddox, one way to determine the favorite is to put a small amount of each potential favorite out in a semicircle, and let him see you doing it. The one he goes for first is usually the fav!

For Salty, it's pine nuts, I cut them up into thirds or more. Salty would plow the back 40 for a pine nut.

Most Reactions