How do I play with my conure when he's on his back?

Kittles0455

Oct 7, 2012
Media
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Our beautiful new addition to the family is a green cheeked conure. He's amazing and crazy and so funny! But my partner and I were wondering how to play with him when he's in a crazy play mood and rolls on his back? He seems to want us to do something but we don't know what, and we dont want to hurt him!

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
You can play with his feet - give him a foot toy and play with his feet that way... maybe tickle his tummy...

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
Thats wrestle time! :D
It depends on whats happening at the time, some might have a toy they would be happy to wrestle with you with... others love playing footsies on their backs with you. Mine loved being roughed up (gently of course!). You will learn what he likes pretty quickly :) Mine just wanted to be smooshed to pieces (feathers ruffled, massages, footsies... any kind of physical contact). But they are tiny little rough and tumble birds... they give as good as they get, keep that in mind when he gets "beaky" :p

Grats on your new bub!

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
^ exactly!! Tickle that belly and play with those feeties!!

OtterKin

Mar 22, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Parrots
Squirrel-GCC (suspected male),
Alice- female cockatiel,
Beattle- male lineolated parakeet,
No name yet- female lineolated parakeet
Dingo- male American budgie,
Darwin- male English Budgie
Hee hee, I love that time! I grab his feet and gently shake, tickle his belly, use the opportunity to touch under his wings, then it usually turns into a scritch/cuddle fest.

sarafigal

Aug 31, 2012
Media
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Queequeg (rescued BFA, 34)
Winston (rescued CAG, 25)
Cyrus (adopted GCC, 2)
Houdini, Peeper, and Little Blue--the Budgie Trio
I'm so glad you asked this. I've been wondering the same thing. My little GCC is the most fragile companion I've ever played with. Furthermore, he has had some really sensitive pin feathers that made him nippy, so I've been hesitant to explore the tickling etc. Cyrus seems content to snuggle in my neck, but I'm starting to play a little more.

FA22raptero

Sep 26, 2012
Media
Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island of British Columbi
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (regular variation)
I'm so glad you asked this. I've been wondering the same thing. My little GCC is the most fragile companion I've ever played with. Furthermore, he has had some really sensitive pin feathers that made him nippy, so I've been hesitant to explore the tickling etc. Cyrus seems content to snuggle in my neck, but I'm starting to play a little more.

Yes! My bird is "previously loved" and i'm just learning that too. Sometimes when i'm scratching her she will give me a firm nip with her beak. I don't know if I should be discouraging it (making her do step ups) or if it's my fault. I'm usually pretty gentle, so I only make her do step ups if she bites too hard. Recently she's been letting me scratch under her wings... we are getting more comfortable with each other :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts