How do I teach her to flip?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I am trying to teach my Sun Conure how to either flip around perch or my finger. For those who have conures that do this, how did you teacher her. She is also not super light so I may forgo my finger but she does better hanging off of my finger than a wooden perch. I suppose I could use a rope perch but I would need one I could hold since I don't do her training around the cage.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I’ve started teaching this with Ona but haven’t finished it all the way yet. Here is what I’ve done:

Have birdie perch on your finger and use their favorite training treat to lure them downward. Start by just making them lean forward for the treat and very slowly lure it lower and lower over time. Eventually you can get to where they will hang upside down from your finger. You can also use a target stick for a lure if target trained.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We use a chop stick for this trick. And we hold it vertically, not horizontally, its much easier on their feet muscles and easier to teach, too.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
We use a chop stick for this trick. And we hold it vertically, not horizontally, its much easier on their feet muscles and easier to teach, too.

I am not following. Do you have a video of this? Does he perch on the chopstick?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yes exactly. He perches on it and I change the orientation to a verticle position and spin him around on it. We go for 3 spins. Not his fav trick by any means, but Salty is a trooper!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
PS, Im sure its in one of his videos, we do this trick all the tme.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
PS, Im sure its in one of his videos, we do this trick all the tme.

Would love to see how this looks. Do you have a video? Wouldn't a chop stock be too skinny to perch on?

Most Reactions

Latest posts