How do you encourage the male amazon to respond to the horny female?

zoloft

Apr 26, 2013
She tries to sit closely with him, she strokes his head, tummy even feet she is begging him but he does not respond!

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
It sounds like he's just not interested. It's all about who they choose to be with. If she likes him but he's not that into her, it's not going to happen.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
What type of Amazons, and how old are they? How long have they been together? What is the living situation like for them (cage setup)?

If you have a mature male, you may want to be a bit careful, as they "can" become mean if their wrong buttons are pushed, even by "begging" females.

OP
Z

zoloft

Apr 26, 2013
If this is about the OWA and the RLA you mentioned in the post regarding infertility in hybrid amazons, it doesn't sound like breeding is imminent. It could be a compatibility issue, it could be that they don't speak the same language, it could be that he thinks she's fat or ugly or has a big beak...who knows. But by his behavior, he is so not into her.

I think its becuase she has a big head!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
If this is about the OWA and the RLA you mentioned in the post regarding infertility in hybrid amazons, it doesn't sound like breeding is imminent. It could be a compatibility issue, it could be that they don't speak the same language, it could be that he thinks she's fat or ugly or has a big beak...who knows. But by his behavior, he is so not into her.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I agree with Ms Sodakat, Howard is the "Man" when it comes to amazons. I know you PM ed me about the nest box and such but,,, I really can't condone helping you to breed hybrid amazons. I breed zons and i'm very ,very careful and spend loads of money pairing good birds. The gene pool is so limited and your hurting it. I just paid 5,000 for a split to blue hen Nape and have to compete with you to sell pet amazons? Sorry just my .02 worth. If your going to do it,,, do it right,, then i'd be glad to help.

PS if i where to mention this situation to Howard Voren he would say i was being too kind. SodaKat,, any time your ready for a "tour" of Howard's aviary ,let me know, it's unbelievable.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you are so intent on breeding, why don't you find a breeding male to try and pair up with your hen? One preferably of the same species?

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with Ms Sodakat, Howard is the "Man" when it comes to amazons. I know you PM ed me about the nest box and such but,,, I really can't condone helping you to breed hybrid amazons. I breed zons and i'm very ,very careful and spend loads of money pairing good birds. The gene pool is so limited and your hurting it. I just paid 5,000 for a split to blue hen Nape and have to compete with you to sell pet amazons? Sorry just my .02 worth. If your going to do it,,, do it right,, then i'd be glad to help.

PS if i where to mention this situation to Howard Voren he would say i was being too kind. SodaKat,, any time your ready for a "tour" of Howard's aviary ,let me know, it's unbelievable.

I would love to see his aviary.... He has some amazing birds and is truly the expert on amazon breeding... Hen give me a tour lol! And I agree with hen do it right.

But in another note why breed at all! There are so many animals needing homes that you creating these birds is just.... Sad espically because your kinda doing it wrong. I hate to be blunt, but this is what needs said. You have no idea what you are doing and need to research before breeding and do a lot of it. If I was you I'd listen t hen and I'd read up about Howard I'd try to talk to him personally or email him if I was you. I'd seriously consider what you are doing and be responsible and think it all through. If you truly want to create good pet birds to be sold then you must do it right!

Again I am slightly sorry for being so abrupt but what needs to be said needs to be said so you understand it.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I agree with everyone else. Please don't breed just for the sake of breeding!

You should seperate your pair before the male decides he's had enough and serially injures your female. Do a lot of research before you make another pairing, and don't mix species.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I agree there are enough available birds in rescues, sanctuaries and on CL and they are there because many people don't take the time to research what they are purchasing. Babies are cute, but as soon as that stage passes and they reach maturity, people are wondering what the heck happened and give them up.

Honestly, I don't see any benefits to hybridizing any animal other than for looks and for money for the breeder. It's amazing what the public will buy just for bragging rights.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Most of you should know on how I feel about this matter as I'm against hybrids.

The poster obviously don't know much about birds or how to pair birds up. And want to get into breeding? It's a delicate process and unforeseen stuffs may happen. Understand birds first before trying to breed! When you do get into it, please think twice about doing hybrids!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
By chance, does anyone know where Zoloft lives? And whether or not there is an overabundance of birds? Some countries do not have an overpopulation of birds, which is why I'm asking...

Supply and demand... is there a demand for hybrid amazons? Is there a demand for amazons at all? (not hybrids) Or is there not because there's already so many birds? - just something to consider/think about.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The name Zoloft is a anti-depressant drug name.... :)
Not trying to be mean or anything....

OP
Z

zoloft

Apr 26, 2013
By chance, does anyone know where Zoloft lives? And whether or not there is an overabundance of birds? Some countries do not have an overpopulation of birds, which is why I'm asking...

Supply and demand... is there a demand for hybrid amazons? Is there a demand for amazons at all? (not hybrids) Or is there not because there's already so many birds? - just something to consider/think about.

UK!:green1: thanks top everyone for explain ing their expertise, even if I ever were to have breeding parrots that make eggss i would never ever sell them, all children deserve to be with mom and dad :)

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Parrots can live a long life, even out-living their owners...

From the sounds of it, you just need to do more research, and if you are intent on having chicks, then make sure you sell them as hybrids (assuming this pair ever does reproduce, or even if you have to find a male willing to reproduce with your hen) if you don't end up keeping all. More birds equals more cages, more accessories and toys, more vet trips, etc. Please find a breeder and avian vet who can help you out in emergencies, teach you how to hand feed (if you don't know how to already), make sure your breeding birds are healthy, you have the required equipment for breeding and/or hand raising chicks and you prepared to do this.

Last thing you want to do is getting the supplies when you need them! Or having parents that pluck/mutilate/ignore/overfeed the chicks and having to hand feed when you aren't prepared to. Allowing parrots to reproduce is nothing like having dogs and cats breed. I don't agree with it, but if you going to do it, I want to see it done responsibly.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Mom and Dad would kill the babies after they wean if they don't leave. They actually drive them off in the wild. Not very pretty sight. Please research some more.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just a story about leaving babies with parents we got a call about a pair of blue and golds and a young one in a basement. We responded all was well but the fact the parents were tring to kill the baby they had his head completed baldied and bloodied and without our help he may have died... So don't ever leave parents with young ones as hen stated.

Most Reactions

Latest posts