How do you gain experience

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
I really want my next Bird to be a GW macaw they seem like they would fit into my lifestyle perfectly but I am trepidatious because every thing I see online says that you really need to have large bird experience and I am trying my best I now volunteer at a bird rescue and work at a bird store but the thing about large birds is that they don't let you get hands on experience if they don't know you. I am fully aware of the commitment and I am ready to take it on I am just worried about he hands on stuff. How do you guys think that I should go about getting some more experience. Also I will be getting my GW from the forumer shredded oakaviary we have been in contact and she seems like an awesome lady who holds herself to really high standards.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
You could ask the person you are getting your gw from if you can start handling the bird. I got lucky.i went to school for vet tech and I worked at a petstore. When I was younger I also volenteered at the national crane society, and various bird sanctuaries. Maybe there's someone in your community with a big bird you can barter with like I'll clean your cages for knowledge.good luck...let us know.

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
You could ask the person you are getting your gw from if you can start handling the bird. I got lucky.i went to school for vet tech and I worked at a petstore. When I was younger I also volenteered at the national crane society, and various bird sanctuaries. Maybe there's someone in your community with a big bird you can barter with like I'll clean your cages for knowledge.good luck...let us know.

The only problem is that shreddedoakaviary is in Nebraska and will ship the baby to me but she does such a good job with the babies that I want to get my baby from her. I clean so many big bird cages already lol they just harass me from the top of their cages but I really just enjoy being around them and reading their body language. I've Been bitten by Big Macs and I'm still not intimidated my them but I want to be able to properly respond to whatever the ba my throws at me. The baby's won't be ready until spring of next year so I have some time.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi, it seems to me that you are in one heck of rush to achieve this, almost as if it all has to fit to a timetable. Yes I guess in your mind you do, Spring next year? Read what you can and learn to chill, birds don't take to folks that are het up.

Those birds that are harassing you from up on high have you sussed well and truly so chill a bit, learn to enjoy what presents itself and they will perhaps be easier on you also.

Last edited:

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
It sounds as if your on your way...stay on this forum. So many people have big macs...try reaching out to them.also maybe call your local bird vet see if you learn something from them. You might just have to jump right into it. I did. The first macaw I ever handled bit a hole thru my hand. Caused me nerve damage. I never looked back, and I've never been scared.

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
I guess I am rushing I little i have always been this way once I am super goal oriented I really like to set Goals and achieve them and make another harder goal to reach. I have finally found a hobby that I can truly be passionate about and I really enjoy learning and talking to new people about birds I am just excited that I have all the stuff ready for a large bird and I have my dream job working from home.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
In our private messages, you indicated there was a breeder moving from VA to NC, you said 15 minutes from you, that was happy to have you come over and volunteer, work with macaws to get the experience and that you were even on her wait list for a GW....

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I don't think you necessarily have to have smaller birds in your home before deciding to become a parront to a large bird, ie. macaw. It is all a matter of experience, as macaws are very intelligent and will attempt to train YOU! Working at a bird store and volunteering at a rescue are excellent ways to become proficient, but you WILL need experience handling a large bird before bringing home a macaw. Purchasing a younger macaw without "baggage" will give you a head start.

Still, the logistics of caring for the bird at home cannot be totally replicated at the store and rescue. Still a matter of having and maintaining a cage, providing food, settling in for the night, and being a diplomat with neighbors depending on your situation! They are loud!!

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
In our private messages, you indicated there was a breeder moving from VA to NC, you said 15 minutes from you, that was happy to have you come over and volunteer, work with macaws to get the experience and that you were even on her wait list for a GW....

She turned out to be very sketchy and I really only want my birds from the best possible breeder maybe I will still ask to volunteer

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Truth is a lot of people start off with big macaws with no experience and do just fine. I say this having no Big Mac experience, just what I know from going from a conure to a larger eclectus:

Probably the biggest indicator of if a Big Mac would be ok for you is how well can you handle children? How firm are you with boundaries? It is telling that you are undeterred by the beaks, a good sign.

That said, forgive me as I might be having a memory lapse: aren't you still in your teens? You are the poster caring for your brother, correct?

Last edited:

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
I don't think you necessarily have to have smaller birds in your home before deciding to become a parront to a large bird, ie. macaw. It is all a matter of experience, as macaws are very intelligent and will attempt to train YOU! Working at a bird store and volunteering at a rescue are excellent ways to become proficient, but you WILL need experience handling a large bird before bringing home a macaw. Purchasing a younger macaw without "baggage" will give you a head start.

Still, the logistics of caring for the bird at home cannot be totally replicated at the store and rescue. Still a matter of having and maintaining a cage, providing food, settling in for the night, and being a diplomat with neighbors depending on your situation! They are loud!!

But bringing home a baby means you need the knowledge and experience of getting thru sexual maturity in a macaw, and what to do to prevent your macaw from overbonding as a baby and then discarding you when they reach adult and seek out another person as their 'chosen' adult companion. Our shelter is filled with birds that we always hear were wonderful as babies and they 'turned' on the owner... in reality, its not turning, its just like kids loving and adoring their parents when they are very young, then reaching the age of independence and so often rebelling and seeking out their own friends. Not that it happens everytime, but again, we unfortunately see in our rescue macaws so many macaws that are examples of the sexual maturity problem.

And I might have people confused, but CDavis, didn't you post recently about being 'picked' by a macaw at a show and you were adopting that macaw, a shamrock if memory serves? What about that breeder and macaw? I apologize if I have people mixed up, but thought that was you and day at a bird expo.

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
She said that she would hold the macaw for me and then about 3 days later sold it to another person(wrench called it lol) but I did get to handle some GWs and B&Gs at the expo and that was amazing but Jen do you think it's unreasonable to make sure that the breeder you are getting your baby from and paying a large sum of money too raises your bird exactly how you want it done. Some breeders don't abundance Wean some don't leave their birds fully flighted and some don't socialize at all and if I am going to spend the next 80 years of my life with a bird then I want it how I feel it should be.

Last edited:
OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Truth is a lot of people start off with big macaws with no experience and do just fine. I say this having no Big Mac experience, just what I know from going from a conure to a slather eclectus:

Probably the biggest indicator of if a Big Mac would be ok for you is how well can you handle children? How firm are you with boundaries? It is telling that you are undeterred by the beaks, a good sign.

That said, forgive me as I might be having a memory lapse: aren't you still in your teens? You are the poster caring for your brother, correct?

Yes that is correct I think it's the perfect situation for the bird I will be taking care of my brother for quite a good salary while going to school online to get a business degree to start my own business as kinda a side hobby( I would like to do a mysafebirdstore type of business because I love to work in my shop) also in a couple of years I will be able to purchase the house next door to me that my family rents out to people so noise isn't a problem

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
This isn't really a question of can I handle a macaw it's more of how should I get more experience handling macaws I actually found a caged bird society in my area so I will be going to that once a month.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
She said that she would hold the macaw for me and then about 3 days later sold it to another person(wrench called it lol) but I did get to handle some GWs and B&Gs at the expo and that was amazing but Jen do you think it's unreasonable to make sure that the breeder you are getting your baby from and paying a large sum of money too raises your bird exactly how you want it done. Some breeders don't abundance Wean some don't leave their birds fully flighted and some don't socialize at all and if I am going to spend the next 80 years of my life with a bird then I want it how I feel it should be.

Sorry but asking an Adoption Coordinator for a rescue that is literally overflowing with macaws is the wrong person to ask about dealing with breeders :eek:

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
I think it's a valid question especially to an adoption coordinator I think that buying a baby from a breeder is selfish but I also think that it might be reasonable to not want to fix other people's mistakes especially with a bird that has the capability to seriously injure you I think that buying a baby from a breeder that does exactly what you think is right is better than just buying a baby that is close to you for your convenience and i really do plan on adopting after I really learn how to handle a Big Bird and am ready for all the quirks and issues that come with older birds. I really don't think that adopting would be right for me right now not because of time or money but because of experience.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
I think it's a valid question especially to an adoption coordinator I think that buying a baby from a breeder is selfish but I also think that it might be reasonable to not want to fix other people's mistakes especially with a bird that has the capability to seriously injure you I think that buying a baby from a breeder that does exactly what you think is right is better than just buying a baby that is close to you for your convenience and i really do plan on adopting after I really learn how to handle a Big Bird and am ready for all the quirks and issues that come with older birds. I really don't think that adopting would be right for me right now not because of time or money but because of experience.

I'm sorry, but if you think raising a MACAW from baby to a healthy, stable, social adult thru sexual maturity is the easy experience, I really can't offer anything more then the many many long private messages we've already exchanged.

A baby seems easy because most baby macaws are sweet and wonderful, love to be loved, etc.... I have a macaw, I'm an Adoption Coordinator and I would not want to take a macaw thru sexual maturity... Nor could I personally ever in good conscience knowing how many wonderful macaws are sitting in shelters go out and support breeding...

Think you are missing my point, asking an Adoption Coordinator about buying a baby... Sorry, but we respect everyone's right, this is America after all, but asking me about advice on purchasing a baby is comparable to asking a DEA agent for tips on where / how to purchase drugs... Maybe it's an age difference, its just amusingly ironic.

I've suggested before and again, Phoenix Landing is headquartered out of NC. They offer seminars and classes all the time, all over the state and area. They are a group that was founded for education and happen to be involved with adoptions. I know you want an easier and quick answer or result, and you have said the rescues in your area were rude or refused to work with you, but I can't believe Phoenix Landing would turn away anyone asking to learn. Here is their open list of those events they offer...

2016 Event List - Phoenix Landing?Helping Parrots

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
I am actually scheduled to go meet with Phoenix landing on September 17 but thank you for the event list. I guess I will just see what options I have when the time come but ultimately its my money my time and my commitment so I'll do whatever I feel is the best for me and my family.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

I'm sorry, but if you think raising a MACAW from baby to a healthy, stable, social adult thru sexual maturity is the easy experience, I really can't offer anything more then the many many long private messages we've already exchanged.

A baby seems easy because most baby macaws are sweet and wonderful, love to be loved, etc.... I have a macaw, I'm an Adoption Coordinator and I would not want to take a macaw thru sexual maturity... Nor could I personally ever in good conscience knowing how many wonderful macaws are sitting in shelters go out and support breeding...

Think you are missing my point, asking an Adoption Coordinator about buying a baby... Sorry, but we respect everyone's right, this is America after all, but asking me about advice on purchasing a baby is comparable to asking a DEA agent for tips on where / how to purchase drugs... Maybe it's an age difference, its just amusingly ironic.

I've suggested before and again, Phoenix Landing is headquartered out of NC. They offer seminars and classes all the time, all over the state and area. They are a group that was founded for education and happen to be involved with adoptions. I know you want an easier and quick answer or result, and you have said the rescues in your area were rude or refused to work with you, but I can't believe Phoenix Landing would turn away anyone asking to learn. Here is their open list of those events they offer...

2016 Event List - Phoenix Landing?Helping Parrots

Well stated Jennifer!!!

Clarity, which requires no additional comment!!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Jen is definitely right about raising a parrot as a baby not necessarily being the easier route. Truth is, raising a bird from the baby stage and adopting one as an adult are two entirely different experiences with their own sets of pros and cons.

You are apparently looking at it from the point of view of someone who has heard the stories of macaws at rescues who are virtually feral due to bad experiences at their previous homes. So you figure you'll start with a baby. Sound enough reasoning, right? If you're the first home, there won't be any prior "baggage" for you to worry about.

But here's the thing. The baby personality does not necessarily match up with what you'll find once that bird becomes an adult. Not unlike teenage humans who often bear only superficial resemblance to who they were as children. So while adult rescues sometimes come with "baggage" from prior experiences, you do at least know what you're getting. You're already seeing the full picture, the already formed adult personality. And contrary to most accounts, not all macaws in rescues are little feathered Wolverines. Lol!

Now, I'm not saying one is necessarily better than the other. Just saying that there are positives and negatives either way.

As for your original question, best thing is for you to try forging a bond of trust with those big birds who are currently wary of you. No better practice than winning over a bird who starts off less than ecstatic about your presence. After all, a completely socialized and well-adjusted bird won't tell you what you need to know about dealing with any issues that might arise. Know what I mean?

Most Reactions

Latest posts