C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
Sailboat I understand what you mean but I would still like to hear other people's perspectives I actually think Jen has been extremely helpful I don't get my feeings hurt easily and I understand where she is coming from I love this kinda stuff I was on my high schools debate team there is almost nothing I enjoy more than listening to what other people think and why they feel that way. And Jen rest assured if I think that one of the rescues at Phoenix landing seems good for me I will defiantly ask if I could foster him/her for a couple weeks and see if it's a match .
Anansi that was super helpful and thanks a ton for that post and to be truthful the only rescue macaws I have met so far have been abused and feral. But I would really like to get picked by my bird I think that I take the species descriptions a little too seriously. But I really do want to pick the perfect bird because no matter what type of bird I get this will be their forever home

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sailboat I understand what you mean but I would still like to hear other people's perspectives I actually think Jen has been extremely helpful I don't get my feeings hurt easily and I understand where she is coming from I love this kinda stuff I was on my high schools debate team there is almost nothing I enjoy more than listening to what other people think and why they feel that way. And Jen rest assured if I think that one of the rescues at Phoenix landing seems good for me I will defiantly ask if I could foster him/her for a couple weeks and see if it's a match .

Not sure if you do, since I was responding to the clarity of Jennifer's Posts not how it addressed or did not address your original question. The reality of the Parrots Forum is that a Thread is far more than an interaction between a few people, but just as much, if not more, a knowledge transfer for the many others that view it.

My experiences are very different in that I'm not looking at or whether there exists a match, but: Can I provide this Amazon Comfort and Love during his /her remaining time.

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
I did misunderstand you I am actually surprised at how much I've learned from this thread I will be talking to an adoption coordinator at Phoenix landing at some point today if something fits then great if not then that is also fine.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The rescue I volunteered with had hands on bird handling classes... which featured many of the same big macs we had up for adoption, many of whom had "evil tricks" to teach would be handlers...

BECAUSE YOU DON'T EVEN SEE IT COMING, UNTIL YOU DO.

Yeah. I taught many (most... for a few years... all...) of those bird handling classes.

And really, there is no substitute for getting in and playing with them.

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
The rescue I volunteered with had hands on bird handling classes... which featured many of the same big macs we had up for adoption, many of whom had "evil tricks" to teach would be handlers...

Yeah. I taught many (most... for a few years... all...) of those bird handling classes.

I have contacted the rescue and she sent backs saying that they don't encourage a lot of touching in general but especially without building a lot of trust first but that I should contact her if I want to foster. If I wanted a hands off bird I would get a finch but I want a bird that I can socialize and really share my life with.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)

I have contacted the rescue and she sent backs saying that they don't encourage a lot of touching in general but especially without building a lot of trust first but that I should contact her if I want to foster. If I wanted a hands off bird I would get a finch but I want a bird that I can socialize and really share my life with.

Could you share the email that you received? Are you sure you are understanding what they are telling you... and the 'they' you are referring to is Phoenix Landing??

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
I was incorrect I read it wrong I think she means that the birds need to bond to you first before you can really get hands on experience but I will be going and talking to them here soon.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Phoenix Landing is wonderful. Anyone there can help you immensely when it comes to learning how to work with a large macaw. It is worth spending some time there even if you decide to get a baby from a breeder.

Any adult bird (and babies too) you need to respect their space and comfort level. Sometimes this means you aren't using your hands, but rather using your voice, or a hand held perch, or a toy.

Many birds in rescues were never broken, especially long lived ones. Many have had great previous homes. Ones that are "broken" have time to heal and be around other birds and kind people, retraining, positive diet changes.

Most Reactions

Latest posts