How do you Know?

Cheekie

Jul 8, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
We are hand feeding for the 1st time a B&G Macaw (6 wks old). How do you know if you get any formula into the upper or lower air passages? I just want to be sure 'cause sometimes he likes to jump around a little too much and formula comes up over the tongue. Are there any signs to look for: wheezing, nostril sounds, heavy breathing, etc? Want to keep'em happy and healthy!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
If he would aspirate any of the formula you would probably notice right away. It can make them sneeze and you should hear a bit of a rhaspy wheeze as he tries to work it back out. Kind of like if you've ever had bronchitis and have that mucous built up in your lungs, sorry for the icky comparison but it's all I could think of. You want to be very careful when you feed him, I know it can be hard but you want to try and hold his head in a way that even with his feeding response he's not bouncing the syringe out of your hand. Even if it's not enough formula to drown him, any amount of liquid in the lungs can cause pneumonia and respiratory infections.

OP
Cheekie

Cheekie

Jul 8, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
I just fed him appx 1 1/2 hrs ago and bobbed hard and formula coated up his tongue. I thought I heard a bit of a rasp out of him a few minutes after feeding. He is sleeping now besides me and he is flicking his tongue a lot (never noticed this before) and his breathing seems to be quicker and changing a lot while asleep. I don't hear any type of rasp now and he is cooing a bit like a dove (dreaming?). It is the quicker breathing and the few rasps I heard that has me concerned. Or maybe I'm overprotective, I just want to be sure.

OP
Cheekie

Cheekie

Jul 8, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
When he has awaken a few times while sleeping I can hear him breathing out of his nostrils and some heavier mouth breathing......so I moved him to his brooder box turned the light on and watching him (chewing on the edge of a towel).

Last edited:

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
I hand fed my GW starting at 5 weeks old. He was very difficult, compared to my CAG and Goffin Cockatoo, both also started at 5 weeks old. When I was finished with a feeding there was formula every where. Once some actually hit the ceiling. My best advice when hand feeding any bird is to make sure you have a firm grip on his/her head to minimize the bopping up and down. Keep the formula on the thin side and try to shoot it down quickly so he's not moving his head all over the place while you're trying to fill his crop. If he's really difficult I wouldn't really be that concerned with filling his crop, you can just make the next feeding a little sooner. If you don't think he's getting enough formula you can squeeze some fruit juice into his beak. I use to squeeze grapes into his beak between feedings. Also I added sunbutter and coconut oil in with his formula. Best of luck.

OP
Cheekie

Cheekie

Jul 8, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Thank you for the advice, it is very welcomed! The Doc has him on enzymes and regulan. I have read some side effects of regulan and it may be contributing to his behavior. I am going to contact Doc and find out more about the possibility that he did get some formula aspirated and how to look for side effects in case he did so we can put him on anti fungal or anti bac-t meds if needed.

some regulan side effects:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1746-6148/1/6

Last edited:
OP
Cheekie

Cheekie

Jul 8, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Also he is ~ 6 weeks old at 518 g (weighed daily) and takes 65 ml a feeding (3x/day) and now his crop is emptying in 6-7 hours. I dont want to bump up his mls too fast but still want to keep him fed and hydrated. We just adjust his feedings according to his crop til he gets a little older and heavier. Going to start supplementing with bananas, squeezed grapes and some watered down juice maybe mixed with baby rice or oatmeal cereal.

OP
Cheekie

Cheekie

Jul 8, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
:D Talked to the Doc and explained the feeding situation and he said that there should not be a problem with asphyxiation, and the nurse said to just keep a close ear for any wheezing just in case (good general rule of thumb). Doc did say on his blood counts being a little abnormal and his E. Coli. counts were a little high esp for his age and is sending antibiotic drops for us to use :)cool:Doc is over an hour away and the last visit cost ~$300.00 blood counts, bac-t screening, disease screening, and sexing). 1st week with Rio (RJ) has been an experience!

Attachments

• Picture 274.jpg
    Picture 274.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 233

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I always use a bent spoon to hand feed parrots.. That way you can ensure that they swallow...

I have never done syringe feeding, and crop feeling I wouldn't even attempt...

Most Reactions