How do you remove a dowel perch from your cage?

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker
I have a dowel perch stuck on my parrotā€™s cage, and I donā€™t know if itā€™s real wood or not so I want to remove it, how do you remove it exactly though because itā€™s stuck on both sides?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Usually you can slide one side of the dowel perch up to detach it on that side and then pull it out of the cage.

OP
QuakerCosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker
Usually you can slide one side of the dowel perch up to detach it on that side and then pull it out of the cage.
I tried to do that but itā€™s like stuck on the cage. On both sides like this.

Attachments

• IMG_6329.png
    IMG_6329.png
    403.8 KB · Views: 14

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
I see, since your bars are horizontal you need to slide one bar to the side (horizontally) to loosen it. Same concept but you're moving in the other direction.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
cages will bend, it can come out. OR CHAINSAW!!!!!!!

I recomend just overpowering the beams of the cage though.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Please let me know if you opt for chainsaw.......

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I tried to do that but itā€™s like stuck on the cage. On both sides like this.
What's that black thing to the left in the picture? If you can't slide one end far enough toward the black thing, just bend the wires a small amount (pull the wire bars toward you) and the bar will pop out of the slot on the end of the perch. Then remove the other end easily by pulling the loose end of the dowel rod toward you from inside the cage.

OP
QuakerCosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker
What's that black thing to the left in the picture? If you can't slide one end far enough toward the black thing, just bend the wires a small amount (pull the wire bars toward you) and the bar will pop out of the slot on the end of the perch. Then remove the other end easily by pulling the loose end of the dowel rod toward you from inside the cage.
That black thing is a blanket that my mom tied and wanted to put for him, he usually use the blanket when he wants to sleep in the spot of the perch. How do you bend the wires though? My cageā€™s bars are a bit thicker than normal. My mom keeps saying to not take it off, but what if thatā€™s fake wood and he gets bumble foot or arthritis on his food because he doesnā€™t have enough movement for his feet?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That black thing is a blanket that my mom tied and wanted to put for him, he usually use the blanket when he wants to sleep in the spot of the perch. How do you bend the wires though? My cageā€™s bars are a bit thicker than normal. My mom keeps saying to not take it off, but what if thatā€™s fake wood and he gets bumble foot or arthritis on his food because he doesnā€™t have enough movement for his feet?
Please take a clear picture of the whole cage with the blanket in place. I don't understand what the problem is.

OP
QuakerCosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker
Please take a clear picture of the whole cage with the blanket in place. I don't understand what the problem is.
I read online and saw through YouTube videos of people like Marlene Mccohen and some other YouTubers saying that dowel perches are bad for birds feet because itā€™s not always made of natural wood and if it gets stuck on their feet they can get bumble foot and other stuff.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
To remove, you need to focus on one side of the dowel perch. Slide it along the bar of the cage that it's attached to, in this case horizontally. Do not slide the whole perch, just one side of it. This will loosen it and you can remove it. If for whatever reason this isn't possible then I'm certain you can use a little elbow grease and force it out. I guess we're all just a bit confused what the problem is and why sliding it out isn't working.

Regarding your cage setup, I would be WAY more concerned with ADDING things to that cage at this point than removing them. An inappropriately sized dowel perch can cause bumble foot if it's the only option. (A dowel perch that is the right size, ie that is large enough or even maybe a bit "too" large, is not inherently harmful.)

To avoid problems with sores on the feet you need plenty of different surfaces for your bird to perch on. Right now you don't have nearly enough. Also, someone else posted in another thread regarding a cage setup for their quaker and that their child was trying to remove a dowel perch, is that you? They mentioned having the type of perch that files nails--if you have that in your cage then it's way more important to take that out than the dowel. Those are dangerous.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
To remove, you need to focus on one side of the dowel perch. Slide it along the bar of the cage that it's attached to, in this case horizontally. Do not slide the whole perch, just one side of it. This will loosen it and you can remove it. If for whatever reason this isn't possible then I'm certain you can use a little elbow grease and force it out. I guess we're all just a bit confused what the problem is and why sliding it out isn't working.

Regarding your cage setup, I would be WAY more concerned with ADDING things to that cage at this point than removing them. An inappropriately sized dowel perch can cause bumble foot if it's the only option. (A dowel perch that is the right size, ie that is large enough or even maybe a bit "too" large, is not inherently harmful.)

To avoid problems with sores on the feet you need plenty of different surfaces for your bird to perch on. Right now you don't have nearly enough. Also, someone else posted in another thread regarding a cage setup for their quaker and that their child was trying to remove a dowel perch, is that you? They mentioned having the type of perch that files nails--if you have that in your cage then it's way more important to take that out than the dowel. Those are dangerous.
Exactly! This cage is nice, well made and large, so adding better perches is the key. One less than ideal perch won't hurt.
Please add some toys and swings for Cosmo. Even if you think he's not playing with them he needs to learn to entertain himself.
Let us know what happens at the vet appointment. We all want the best for him and his new family!

OP
QuakerCosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker

I havenā€™t put the nail file one, actually my mom put this green perch thatā€™s for filing the nails, and I told her not to put one thatā€™s made of the whole thing out of the file which is the green one. I got one but not fully made of file but of wood and some parts of file for the feet and my mom didnā€™t want me to put it on.

OP
QuakerCosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker

This my mom that put that not me, I wanted to put a wood perch that only has the nail file on the sides not the whole thing.

Attachments

• IMG_6367.png
    IMG_6367.png
    391.5 KB · Views: 11
OP
QuakerCosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker
Exactly! This cage is nice, well made and large, so adding better perches is the key. One less than ideal perch won't hurt.
Please add some toys and swings for Cosmo. Even if you think he's not playing with them he needs to learn to entertain himself.
Let us know what happens at the vet appointment. We all want the best for him and his new family!
I have added toys my mom took away one of them from his cage and hasnā€™t put it back. But yeah I put some toys for him he still doesnā€™t know what those are, I told my mom maybe toys with bells might be more fun for him and she didnā€™t like the idea.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have added toys my mom took away one of them from his cage and hasnā€™t put it back. But yeah I put some toys for him he still doesnā€™t know what those are, I told my mom maybe toys with bells might be more fun for him and she didnā€™t like the idea.
Make sure you discuss with the vet the right kind of toys for Cosmo. They are very important for a caged parrot's well being even if he doesn't know how to play with them yet. Climbing ropes, things he can swing from, any bird safe chew toys he can chew up and destroy, ALL GOOD! He needs to chew things and you don't want him chewing his feathers!
Some bells are okay but some have small metal parts and slots that can be dangerous to a parrot with a strong beak like a Quaker so I would avoid them. Plus all bells do is ring. Cosmo needs more to do than ring bells. Anything made from fabric can be very dangerous. Loose strings can be swallowed or he can get his feet caught and get seriously injured. You mentioned a blanket and that worries me. Birds are not like dogs and cats. Birds and blankets are NOT a good combination at all unless you just use a blanket to cover the cage at night. Plush toys and hiding huts are not safe.
If you have any doubts about a toy ask a vet or photograph it, post the photo and our kind, experienced PF members will help you decide. Some of them have many decades of experience with parrots and would be happy to help you. We all want Cosmo to be healthy, happy and safe!

OP
QuakerCosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker
Make sure you discuss with the vet the right kind of toys for Cosmo. They are very important for a caged parrot's well being even if he doesn't know how to play with them yet. Climbing ropes, things he can swing from, any bird safe chew toys he can chew up and destroy, ALL GOOD! He needs to chew things and you don't want him chewing his feathers!
Some bells are okay but some have small metal parts and slots that can be dangerous to a parrot with a strong beak like a Quaker so I would avoid them. Plus all bells do is ring. Cosmo needs more to do than ring bells. Anything made from fabric can be very dangerous. Loose strings can be swallowed or he can get his feet caught and get seriously injured. You mentioned a blanket and that worries me. Birds are not like dogs and cats. Birds and blankets are NOT a good combination at all unless you just use a blanket to cover the cage at night. Plush toys and hiding huts are not safe.
If you have any doubts about a toy ask a vet or photograph it, post the photo and our kind, experienced PF members will help you decide. Some of them have many decades of experience with parrots and would be happy to help you. We all want Cosmo to be healthy, happy and safe!
You should tell about the blanket to my mom then, I told her those may not be good for him and she got it anyways, so far he only plays with the strings but doesnā€™t have a big beak luckily yet. But yeah definitely tell her because she wonā€™t listen to me.

OP
QuakerCosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker
She also said when she had parrots back when she was little, I donā€™t know if handling birds back then is different from now, but her mom got a blanket for her parrot and it would cover himself with it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts