How I tamed my GCC

daddylongnails

May 26, 2012
I've had dozens of birds throughout my life (conures, African Greys, budgies, canaries, lovebirds, cockatiels - I used to breed them) but none was ever named after it's abilit to chew my fingers raw from vicious bites like Chewie. OMG! This bird hates/hated me so much I was honestly thinking of finding him a new home with a male because he seems to prefer men over women. I've asked for help here as well but finally figured out what it would take to tame this guy.

Mistake no. 1 for me was putting him in a cage on top of my armoir which is very much higher than us. There was a dramatic change in his behaviour when I put him on my dresser which is lower than us.

Mistake no. 2 was to let him roam around the top of his cage. He is most aggressive on top of or inside of his cage.

Mistake no. 3 for me was to "leave him alone" and "give him some space" for days thinking he needed a break from me trying to hold him and pet him. He was always most vicious and aggressive after having skipped a weekend of handling him.

the 6 things that worked for me (and he will not bite me now no matter what I do to him) .

#1, place his cage lower than us. it is at chest level.
#2, handling him EVERY DAY and talk to him calmly in a low voice.
#3, used a small perch to spare my hands of his bites. He learned to just hop on this perch and not run from it within 2-3 days.
#4, Pet him with my whole hand cupped over his body. This seemed to calm him instantly. The more worked up he got, the more he would bite. covering him with my hand like a blanket works like magic.
#5, clip his wings. I don't clip my birds wings but for Chewie there was no other choice.
#6, and this was the final thing that seemed to put the seal on his not biting anymore was trimming his beak.

His beak was sharp like a knife especially the bottom part. I was not too gentle, I'm afraid, when I grabbed him after he bit me for no apparent reason last week and used the dremel on his beak. This is the dremel I use to trim all my pets nails. The bottom of his beak was sharp and thin. Once I put the dremel on it, this thin section flew right off. No bleeding or anything.. It almost seemed like an overgrowth. At first he could not open seeds, but now he seems fine and eats just fine. But he quit biting altogether after that. I really don't know the exact reason why. My guess is that his mouth didn't feel right anymore so he couldn't bite. It has been about 10 days and he just decided to stop biting altogether now. To be sure he did not stop eating , I have been feeding him a spoonful of baby bird formula every day and he gobbles this down. He already liked eating this before the beak trim.

Anyways, this bird is a new bird now. I hope that he doesn't regres at any point but it has been a good 10 days and he has not bitten me once no matter what I do. I hold him on my finger, pick him up from his cage. No need for the perch anymore. I holdhim with my entire hand and I can tell when he's afraid and he has been afraid but still will not bite.

woohoo!!!

Edited to add #5

Last edited:

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Yep it works although I sometimes forget about the height of the cage thing. Good going keep that one on file for the next person who has a bird that is eating their fingers.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
congrats on bringing out the best birdie inside him :D!

Amandastander

Jul 23, 2012
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Buster turquoisegrey IRN male, Piper buttercup IRN female. 2 Budgies who will soon be relocating to my brothers home.
Wow some usefull tips there! Snowy is a biter , a friend did trim her beak, she still uses it to bite though! Lol. And her wings have been trimmed also, I will definitely bring her cage down a bit! I've started letting her roam the bedside and floor lately and she seems to like that and is generally calmer when I put her back now. She only gave me 2 nips yesterday instead of the usual non stop.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
#1, place his cage lower than us. it is at chest level.
#2, handling him EVERY DAY and talk to him calmly in a low voice.
#3, used a small perch to spare my hands of his bites. He learned to just hop on this perch and not run from it within 2-3 days.
#4, Pet him with my whole hand cupped over his body. This seemed to calm him instantly. The more worked up he got, the more he would bite. covering him with my hand like a blanket works like magic.
#5, clip his wings. I don't clip my birds wings but for Chewie there was no other choice.
#6, and this was the final thing that seemed to put the seal on his not biting anymore was trimming his beak.

Can you expand on #3, please? How did you train her to step up instead of running away from the perch?

Last edited:
OP
D

daddylongnails

May 26, 2012
Lexi, sure. I have a small bird perch in the shape of a branch that forks. So it's sortof an L shape. Instead of putting my hand into his cage to bring him out, I started to use this perch. The first day I sortof had to follow him around with the perch to get him on it because he kept trying to get away from it. By day no. 3 he stopped trying to avoid it and would just hop onto it as soon as he saw it enter his cage.

After he stepped onto it, I'd bring it and him out of his cage and hold the perch by the other branch so he wouldn't be able to scoot over to my hand to bite me. He was a vicious little guy and one day he bit my lip and wouldn't let go, then bit my neck when I got him off my lip. I still have scars on my hands. He was like a little evil Cujo.

I think he learned to hop on the perch because he figured out he couldn't bye it or hurt me when he was on it. He seriously hated me. And I can tell he's still uneasy with me but only time can fix that.

OP
D

daddylongnails

May 26, 2012
A couple other things worth noting is his diet. When I adopted him he was on a 100% seed diet. I was trying to transition him to a pellet diet and during one of his vet visits the vet said that birds tend to bite less when they're on a pellet diet. I immediately switched him to 100% pellet diet and only gave him safflower seeds as a training treat while teaching him not to bit and to get used to my hands.

Also he used to stink. He just smelled odd. Not like any other bird I had ever known anyway. He now smells normal. He smells good actually and he loves to cuddle as much as he liked to bite. I think he just gave up trying to bite and all the things I did helped to get him there.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
His beak was sharp like a knife especially the bottom part. I was not too gentle, I'm afraid, when I grabbed him after he bit me for no apparent reason last week and used the dremel on his beak. This is the dremel I use to trim all my pets nails. The bottom of his beak was sharp and thin. Once I put the dremel on it, this thin section flew right off. No bleeding or anything.. It almost seemed like an overgrowth. At first he could not open seeds, but now he seems fine and eats just fine. But he quit biting altogether after that. I really don't know the exact reason why. My guess is that his mouth didn't feel right anymore so he couldn't bite. It has been about 10 days and he just decided to stop biting altogether now. To be sure he did not stop eating , I have been feeding him a spoonful of baby bird formula every day and he gobbles this down. He already liked eating this before the beak trim.

Edited to add #5
Wow I hope you weren't too rough on the little guy. They only do what comes naturally and I know it is hard not to lose your temper when they bite so hard.

OP
D

daddylongnails

May 26, 2012
Wow I hope you weren't too rough on the little guy. They only do what comes naturally and I know it is hard not to lose your temper when they bite so hard.

yes, I was frustrated and angry when I trimmed his beak but I did not physically hurt him. I'm sure he was scared to death and thought I was killing him or something. But the dremel barely touched his beak when that thin section flew off so it was over as soon as it started. It was a lot gentler than what I've witnessed them doing at vet offices tho, that's for sure.

OP
D

daddylongnails

May 26, 2012
I typed this up but it disappeared. Let me explain how the training went. I would take him out of his cage twice per day and keep it short. If he'd step up 3-4 times, I'd pet him the way he liked, call him a good boy and then put him back in the cage. I never pushed him to step up. I would ask him to do it by putting my extended hand up to his chest. I'd have to watch his movements very carefully and take my hand away if I thought he was going to bite me. If he refused to step up and just stood there, I'd do the hand blanket petting thin I mentioned before and try again while talking to him calmly. A couple successful step ups earned him his cage back and I'd put him back. I never tried to push it because I wanted to end it on a good note.

Most Reactions