bed time chatter...

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!
has anyone else noticed that no matter how tired your conure may be, once you put their cover on they seem to have conversations with themselves for probably half an hour before they quiet down and fall asleep?

my boyfriend and i will be laying in bed and just burst out laughing because we can hear crowley crooning to himself before bed. hahahhahah. is there a reason for this? or are they just having fun? it's so cute!

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Well, I know mine do! But so far they only give kisses and say these two syllables which is either 'Good Girl', or Love you', maybe both. But it s too cute!

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Mine do it too...even when just taking a little nap. I love it. It's so adorable : ) Not sure exactly why...think it just shows comfort and contentment.

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
Lucy doesn't say a word. She will go in quietly and not a peep until we wake up in the morning.

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
Chichi does this too. We laugh so hard because he's in there like griping and mumbling. I have no idea what he's saying but several times between the mumbles he's kissing us. So we kiss back and more mumbles and chatter. Once in a while we hear him testing out new words too. :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The little GCC I had was a real bed time talker. Sometimes I would come out into the kitchen very late and he would start the chatter again. It is adorable.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Scooter doesn't carry on for a long time, but he does protest for a bit. We don't cover cages, but I do close the blinds and turn out the light. It seems to be the conure version of "Mooooom! I'm not sleepy yet! I'm not, I'm not.... I'm not.... zzzzzz........"

Klaery

Jul 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Elroy - Hahns macaw, Ponyo - Sun conure
My young hahns is a bedtime chatterer :) it is pretty much the only time he talks at the moment. It's like he is testing out the words.

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
Crackers does the same thing ... she sounds like a little grumpy old man : )

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
I know that's what I told My husband. He sounds like he's just grumbling! And I think they do test out new words at night. I hear lots of new syllables. :)

lokiNotis

Jul 3, 2012
WV
Parrots
Loki-Green Cheek Conure
Otis-blue Quaker Bandit-YNA
My GCC Loki does the same thing. Its so funny. Every night I cover him he lets out a little cat like scream and then grumbles for about 10-15 minutes or so. I think this bird would party all night if we let him!

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
When I read "Alex and Me", Dr. Pepperburg said that in her studies of Alex that she began to notice that when she put Alex to bed at night that he would practice the day's new words prior to drifting off to sleep.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Forrest does a lot of grumbling when he goes to bed just for a couple minutes. When I put him to bed he goes straight to his Jungle talk phone and hits the button that says I love you and then goes to happy hut and grumbles then he says "I LOVE YOU" and that is usually it. The phone has to say it first then goes to hut, then grumbles then he says it. I think he is OCD because this is his same routine every night.

OP
taylor_

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Crackers does the same thing ... she sounds like a little grumpy old man : )

EXACTLY! and then it sort of peters out and they're just like grumbling or something and then if you make any noise at all he starts out again louder hahah.

OP
taylor_

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Forrest does a lot of grumbling when he goes to bed just for a couple minutes. When I put him to bed he goes straight to his Jungle talk phone and hits the button that says I love you and then goes to happy hut and grumbles then he says "I LOVE YOU" and that is usually it. The phone has to say it first then goes to hut, then grumbles then he says it. I think he is OCD because this is his same routine every night.

i want one of those jungle talk phones SO bad. where did you get yours?!

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
You can get the Jungle talk phones at Amazon.....drsfoster and smith and I think Mysafebirdstore has them. Almost all places on line. Either size is great.
They have two sizes. Large red one and small blue one. Forrest actually has 2. One in his cage is small the other is on a playstand and it is large ....he actually dances on it and makes the buttons go off. He knows which one says I love you. He uses his beak on the one hanging in his cage.
I got one for the Sun and the mirror on it actually makes him mad. So I removed it. He was aggressive toward the bird in the mirror. I may just cover the mirror up with something. So you can watch for that. Doesn't bother Forrest at all. Actually the smaller one might be better because of smaller mirror until you see how he reacts.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
Ours also chatters, but normally only if the room is occupied or there is a minor distraction. If we are watching the TV with almost no sound, he'll be quiet; if we talk or the TV is louder, he will chatter a bit.

I always assumed that it was a sign of disturbed sleep, or possibly "freaking people, making noise, keeping me awake; I'll kill you all".

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
River chatters/mumbles to himself a bit often before going to sleep too. The cutest thing was one night after I had covered him and turned out the light, he says in his most pitiful little voice "Step up?". Sorry little buddy, it's bedtime, no stepping up, sleep.

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
Mickey doesn't really chatter once covered....but when I put her in the cage for the night, and lift the cover up to cover her.....she will reach one foot out through the bars, and say "momma" in the most pitiful little voice.....this happens every night, she knows it won't get her anywhere, but she does it anyway....almost breaks my heart......:(

Tinker on the other hand, will cuss herself to sleep every night....she goes into her Happy hut and has what we call a "cuss fest"....mumbling and grouching for at least 1/2 hour before she settles in :D

jonahsmom

Jun 18, 2012
Parrots
Buddy - green cheek conure; Luna - yellow crowned amazon; Bella - miniature dachshund; Schatzie - affenpinscher; RIP Boudreaux - timneh african grey
Buddy's a grumbler. LOL We love to listen to him. He does it when he takes a bath, too. And he has a wooby (his favorite toy that his previous owners said we could never ever ever take away from him because it's his best friend LOL) He will be the tar out of that thing and cuss it out twice a day. LOL It is HILARIOUS.

Boudreaux doesn't really grumble, but he'll whistle a few times like he's saying....ummmm helloooo???? I'm not ready for bed yet.....hellooo???? LOL

Crazy birds :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts