how long before a bird will start talking?

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
Not that I really mind if JJ talks or not. Today, before bed, I noticed she was mumbling to herself a little bit. And earlier she was kinda chirping and she sounded almost like she was trying to sound out "whatcha doin" you could definetely differenciate the syllables in whatever she was chirping but it wasn't quite words.

We picked her up saturday night so we've only had her 5 full days. Is it normal for them to try to start talking to soon? Ofcourse I do ask her all day long "whatcha doin".

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Sun Conures are not known for their ability to talk. However just keep trying. You could have yourself a real chatterbox. About all i can manage to get mine to say is Hello & Good Night.

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
Sun Conures are not known for their ability to talk. However just keep trying. You could have yourself a real chatterbox. About all i can manage to get mine to say is Hello & Good Night.

I don't really mind if she does talk or not. So her mumbling and stuff yesterday took me by surprise and my husband said she was mumbling this morning. He never notices things like that either so for him to notice is a big deal,lol.

Julieanne4792

May 9, 2012
South Georgia USA
Parrots
I have a Blue and Gold Macaw who belongs to my husband...Green Cheek Conure & African Grey. Hand fed them all
What age is yours mumbling...Mine is 11 weeks and today I almost fell out when I heard him trying to say, 'Heh-woh' and something else...but he was definitely practicing just like our Blue & Gold did at a young age, just not this young! I didn't think anyone would believe me so I called my daughter in the room to witness LOL! She was like, omgosh and told me what she thought he was saying...it was the same as I. Thoughts? I'm wondering when they start talking or verbalizing/sounding words out? Anyone?

Julieanne4792

May 9, 2012
South Georgia USA
Parrots
I have a Blue and Gold Macaw who belongs to my husband...Green Cheek Conure & African Grey. Hand fed them all
Sorry,I forgot to include he is a Solomon Island male Eclectus 11 weeks old today and we've had him a week

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
My alexandrine sounds like he's saying something, but I think I'll be just as happy if my bird don't talk...

I had a quaker, Shrek, who would always ask me 'What's ya doing?' and I would always tell him... Sometimes it ended up in a lengthy explanation :cool:

Julieanne4792

May 9, 2012
South Georgia USA
Parrots
:green2:
Awe, lol so sweet! I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him to talk a little bit lol but I would be just as happy if not. I video taped it so my husband could hear this time lol...I'm not imagining him saying 'Hello' lol

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
Clifford the Sun Conure talks. What I can understand from him is peek-a-boo, clifford, pretty bird, be back soon, no no no puppies!, and hello. Other than that he mumbles all day long. He is definatley talking, its just so robotic sounding that I have no idea what it is.

Most Reactions

Latest posts