How long is mating season?

RisingSun

Feb 6, 2013
Florida
Parrots
cockatiel - Lucy; SI eclectus - Matisse
.....every time he tries to "get his swerve on." :18:

Hahahaha!! The BEST description. I have a male Ekkie and never has a truer thing been said. Male Ekkies are definitely the Romeo of all parrots. Before I learned more of the evasive techniques mentioned in above posts, it was really bad. Like as soon as I entered the room, he immediately started regurgitating.

I will never forget the time I came home from work exhausted, and fell asleep in the armchair. That was the first time he figured out how to climb a chair. I woke up with my uniform covered in crop goop. He apparently had the time of his life "feeding" the collar of my polo. Good thing I was working in a petting zoo at the time LOL!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Tasha, I would add a bit of shading around all the advice you've gotten here. To be clear we are talking about mature adults, not puberty.

What's not noted here is that ekkies are a bit Unique. They don't have a defined "breeding season". As such they come in and out of major or minor bouts that have varying durations throughout the year.

I've never had Parker stay in a hormonal state for more than 2-3 weeks, and haven't known anyone to be in a hormonal state for a month. His bouts come and go, sometimes they are barely a blip lasting a couple days at most with barely perceptible behavioral change, only noticing by someone who knows him. Sometimes it's full on aggression and masturbation.

Like Stephen noted, it's a ramp up and ramp down. For worst case scenarios, the ramp up lasts maybe a week or so, the full force lasts just a few days to a week at most, and the ramp down about a week, maybe less.

You're mileage may vary. As lordtriggs pointed out, some birds never really become hormonal, others manifest it often. Parker for a while was on a 6 week cycle. Now he's just wildly unpredictable. He just went through an aggressive phase that lasted a couple weeks, and calmed down. As soon as that cooled down, a week later he started masturbaing on a few perches several times a day, and he's still on it.

So with ekkies more so than other birds, ownership is like a box of chocolates, you're going to get it all. You just don't know what you'll eat, and when.

OP
tashawithanekkie

tashawithanekkie

Feb 22, 2017
Northeast Ohio, USA
Parrots
Duke, Male eclectus
ah, I see. Duke's nearly 11 so it's not puberty, right? I can't remember what age range right now but I'm fairly certain it was much younger than that.

He seems to be cooling off a bit. I still get some beaky caressing but he will let me change the subject, so to speak, without having too much trouble.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Definitely not puberty at 11.

Most Reactions