How long must a trip be before water is needed?

yoelleoy

Mar 6, 2017
Sweden
Parrots
"Jojo" Lovebird
So I got a new carrier bag. I am starting to get him used to it so it won't be a hassle to get him inside. One thing I noticed is that it has no space for water. I could probably engineer something ugly that works, but I was wondering how long must a trip be before water is NEEDED. I Imagine a 10 min trip would not need water, but I am unsure about a 2-3 hour trip.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hi, and... good question!

I lean towards rigging something ugly. A water source is just so critical. Plus, I think it's comforting. And if you open the carrier to offer water, that could be hazardous.

It will be fun too see what people think!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My general rule of thumb with Kiwi is if I wouldn't stop to eat during the trip, he doesn't need to either. So unless we'll be out for 4-6+ hours, I don't bother with food or water. Though, on exceptionally hot days if we've been out for an hour or 2, I will offer him a sip from the cap of my water bottle if he looks hot.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Usually when I have a long trip (or any trip) I give the bird fruit with high water content (i.e. grapes, apples, pears).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our Amazon is a regular traveler and we keep a water bottle in the SUV during the non-freezing times of the year. During Winter it is carried onboard with his travel kit.

Traveled all my business years and long ago found that you carry what you need for several days for you and if you bring your Parrot. And, yes, around town is different, but even then a few minutes can turn into several hours at a moments notice.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
And, yes, around town is different, but even then a few minutes can turn into several hours at a moments notice.

This is a good point!

In my initial response, I guess I assumed the OP would always have a water bottle with them, as I do. Also, Kiwi readily drinks from a bottle cap, thus negating the need for a outright dish should he look hot and like he needs a drink. I only really bring one dish for his pakobird and pretty much just for food on day trips. Water is almost always from our bottle. We've only done one "overnight+" trip with Kiwi and that was moving cross country. We typically stick to day trips not just because of Kiwi but also because overnight trips get pricey quick since you need a hotel, likely one or 2 meals at minimum eating out on top of gas or doing anything with an entrance fee etc...

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I always keep at least water with me on trips that are going to last for more than a short errand, meaning that if you're taking your bird with you to run a quick errand, like to a store or something, then okay, but if you are packing him up in a carrier to go for a hike or a road trip, then I don't care how long you are PLANNING to be, you absolutely must take water with you. Period. Obviously in the summer and the hot days of the spring and fall this should be automatic anyway, but I can't imagine taking one of my guys out for a hike, a walk, a road trip, etc. and not having at least some bottled water for them.

I tend to use the Aviator Harness if I'm taking my Senegal, Quaker, or Green Cheek on a walk/hike, bike ride, etc. and use the carrier for longer car rides, but either way I at the very least have bottled water. My bird carrier has a ferret/rabbit water bottle hanging on it's inside so they can get water whenever they want, and if I'm using the Aviator Harness for a hike/walk/bike ride, I keep bottled water in my pack, and usually some fresh fruit, veggies, granola, nuts, etc. for me and them in both situations. But you must always have water for them, as Sailboat said a 10-minute trip can quickly turn into a much longer trip for any number of reasons, and then you're in trouble...

Most Reactions