How long should i hand fed my 3 months old BLUE-NAPED PARROT?

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Don't wait for the crop to empty. Then he gets hungry. You don't want to keep em hungry. Also kelp the food warm around 98 degrees to a 100.
Sour crop is bad and you want to avoid it. Common cause. Cool food.
Never force it always drain it. Let them eat on there own pace
Sorry if I offended you. I'm just real serious about selling and purchase of unweaned birds. Essp to inexperienced feeders. It's not fair.
Honestly you could be the best of the best and I still wouldn sell anyone a unweaned baby. I don't think you acually understand the situation your in. You don't have one but 2 unweaned babies with no raising experience. Please don't take offense but you did purchase them. Here's a awesome link. Hand-Feed Parrots

This link is pretty well explained on hand rearing. PLEASE don't take offense.
Kelp reading up. You can handle this.

I have to quote you on this one! I used to breed and I have to go with Pedro and Garnet to let the crop empty first before feeding!

It's ok. It's just your opinion. I do breed and hand raise and to avoid dehydration you only empty the crop once in a full 24 hour period. IMO
Sour crop is basiclly a yeast infection when food won't digest. usally when it's too cold. Iv only had sour crop a few times and that's because I was using the wrong bedding at the time. Babies were ingesting it.
When I feed (larger amazons) weeks 3-5 I feed em every 3 hours. Till 12. Usally about half a syringe. (I go by the volume of there crop)
I'll look at exact size. Weeks 6-10 I feed 3 sometimes 4 a day. Usally the whole syringe. Sometimes more. Also so I don't forget I offer smash veggies and weaning pellets as well sprouts at week 5 till fledged.
After 10 weeks I feed twice aday unless there still not munching I'll do 3. There never over weight due to the avairy there kept. We offer alotta flight so they do burn these extra pounds off. I like to allow them to wean them selves. And from this iv noticed an extreamlly diffrent personality in the babies. Way nicer. Way more willing to play. Very clingy.
Same with the cockatiels. The tiels are what I breed. My gfs dad breeds the zons macaws toos and conures. I just help raise and feed them.
But my point is iv noticed from never allowing them to get hungry and allowing the crop to empty once every 24 hours. They are more attached to people and not just the feeder. Anyone. As long as the brooder is kept warm and humidity is right as well food is always fed at a warm constant tempature. Sour crop is least worry. This is how I do everything I might be missing a few.
But yea. I never ment never let it empty. Sorry i shoulda worded my self better

OP
havergara

havergara

May 29, 2011
Parrots
Behave & Buchog (Blue-Nape Parrots)

Prince & Princess (Cockatiels)
thank you for that very good idea...

Blue Nape

Jun 4, 2011
Hi everyone, i believe I have the same situation w/ Havergara. I was on a pet store to buy African Lovebirds when 2 men sold the store owner 2 unknown birds looked like tiny 60% dressed chicks. Curious w/ it, I asked and learned that they were bird poachers selling Blue naped parrots at least 3 weeks of age. I cannot stand looking at 2 more birds kept inside a small cartoon box by the two wicked fellas. To keep it short, I end up bringing home a pair of ALB and 2 Blue Naped parrots.

I am a professional dog breeder, the pair ALB is for a friend. With my limited knowledge on birds, I have to browse the net for facts on how to take care of my poor two legged new friends.

This forum is heaven sent.. I now have a fighting chance to make sure that the babies can get proper care. I'll try to get the other 2 from the pet shop.. Raise them and send them back to the wild oneday.

OP
havergara

havergara

May 29, 2011
Parrots
Behave & Buchog (Blue-Nape Parrots)

Prince & Princess (Cockatiels)
hello blue nape, its not that hard to take care of this kind of birds..so i know you'll do just fine, just consult this professionals on things that aren't clear to you...

all your bird needs is time and dedication, once you spare some of your time for them, it wont be that hard anymore...you say they are 3weeks old..they're a little younger compared to my buchog and behave..mines pin feathers are already blooming..when i bought them i even traveled them almost halfway of our country, i thought they wont survive it but hell, they did..

since i think we are the only two who has a pet bird like this in this forum, i think it'll be better if we create a thread for this...

i can help you raise yours since i am almost at the stage of weaning my two baby birds..they are already waving their wings as if they can fly already..you'll enjoy feeding them, and seeing them grow, its a great experience..

good luck to you, you can do it..

Most Reactions

Latest posts