How LOUD is your bird?...Decibel facts

JackTheParrotLover

Feb 13, 2016
The Macaws I work with can let it off if they want, but I hardly ever hear them doing that. Now the Sun Conure on the other hand... oh my god can he scream! That thing will not shut up!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Everyone talks about noise levels to do with Parrots and I can never really understand why although I do know it can be problenatic as my Roger who is now gone to Rainbow Bridge came to me because the neighbours where he lived complained about the noise he made...I have to say that I never found him noisy nor do I find my present parrots noisy (a QP and a WFA) but I will say this because its never really said in relation to neighbours and I dont mind my neighbours making noise as its not a problem for me but the noise of their big lawnmower and a drill that works fairly often (no doubt doing necessary repair jobs) or a chainsaw which gets useed on the trees from time to time is way louder than my parrots...what Im trying to say is that while sound levels may be important in some instances if you look around you in our modern world you will find that you and your neighbours make sounds every day of one kind or another in the course of living your daily lives that are equally as loud if not louder than any parrot .
I have no idea of the noise levels of my parrots but Im glad they are not any quieter as I would miss their parrot calls

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
The Macaws I work with can let it off if they want, but I hardly ever hear them doing that. Now the Sun Conure on the other hand... oh my god can he scream! That thing will not shut up!

Very old thread here, but that's okay, it's an interesting one. Fyi, you can find the dates in the upper left corner of the posts. Some old posts might not be valid to bring up anymore, but some such as this one can still apply. ;)

Where do you 'work' with birds?

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
tab_xo, do you have the name and author of the book you are referring to? I want to be able to accurately cite the information.

I volunteer with a rescue and have been wanting to make a chart with the decibels compared to every day sounds that we could use at public education events.

Thanks,

Amanda

Indeed i do!

Good Parrotkeeping

A Comprehensive Guide to All Things Parrot

Robin Deutsch

Page 15, under the chapter- Your parrot and you ;)

The book is EXCELLENT... It has absolutely every type of information, telling you about the negatives and positives..

And it goes through basically every species and lists their diet and behaviour ect..

Then it has a big chart which compares all the species with their loudness and messiness and such :)

Does the book have information on the white fronted amazon? Specifically their natural diet?

Here is a link to quiete a bit of infornation about one of the Greatest parrots in the whole world the other Greatest Parrot in the world of course is Quaker and certainly no one can acuse me of being biased in my choices here hee hee :)
Anyway heres the link and it should answer the questions posed about White Fronted Anazons
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/whitefrontedamazon.html

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
My Ekki has the loudest alarm call of all my fids. It's ear shattering. I'd take my Macaw's calls next to my ear any day over my Ekki's. Ouch!

JackTheParrotLover

Feb 13, 2016

Very old thread here, but that's okay, it's an interesting one. Fyi, you can find the dates in the upper left corner of the posts. Some old posts might not be valid to bring up anymore, but some such as this one can still apply. ;)

Where do you 'work' with birds?

I volunteer at my local aquarium which has a B&G, a Catalina, a U2, a CAG, and a YNA

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I wonder if anybody tested a Patagonian Conure...
And in addition to decibel-age... there's the frequency/constancy issue!
Then we could get some sort of coefficient that represents both overall.
I'll bet a six-pack that my boy will be in the top three!

Wait a minute, why would I actually be proud of this????
Wrong on many levels...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Somewhere, there is a government staffer that has read this Thread and is already working on a document stating that Ear Protection will be worn and made available by the owner(s) of parrot(s) for all individuals within 30 meters of said parrot. :cool:

We have always made sure that our Amazon is close friends with everyone in the nearby households. In the summer, its not unusual for people two / three house away to come over and visit with our DYH Amazon, especially when the windows are open.

Great Historical Thread!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I wonder if anybody tested a Patagonian Conure...
And in addition to decibel-age... there's the frequency/constancy issue!
Then we could get some sort of coefficient that represents both overall.

Here's your coefficient:

(d x s)+ h

Decibels [d]x probability of screaming at 2pm* (# days out of 2 months bird, I.e. 2 days out of 60, or 3%))

*my perception of when they should be quietest during the day

This needs to be weighted by their likelihood to scream during hormonal seasons [h]: coefficient + (number of days screaming/number of days in hormonal state) . Some scream, some bit, some just rub themselves.

Example for Parker:
d=100
s= (6/60)= .1 [10%]
h=0 (he's not a screamer)

Screaming coefficient for male eclectus = 100 x .1 = 10

You can toy with what you use for the occurrence probabilities, maybe instead of number of days out of 60 at the quietest time of day, you use average duration in minutes per week over the course of a month. This was just an example.

Note the addition was somewhat artificial. I would have liked to either multiply or divide the first two by h, but if thy aren't a screamer during hormonal periods you either get a coefficient of 0 or a divided by 0 error, neither of which tell you squat.

I'm not a mathematician, just a someone with slight data analysis experience. If we have any real math people here that's readily evident and they can speak up and refine.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Sailboat... I feel ya!

Chris... You should be appointed Loudness Coefficient Czar! All hail!

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
THREAD REVIVAL

REASON FOR RISING THIS THREAD FROM THE DEAD:
I find it very interesting and may be of some use to our newer parrot owners and lovers. I find the decibel calculations quite enlightening.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
One of my GCCs is quiet as a mouse and the other GCC is louder than any sun conure I have ever met. But I ran across this thread a while ago a really liked it so good find tekno

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I'd love to see someone with a conure take a stab at the coefficient to see how well it performs:)

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Im not sure how loud it was, but the other day peaches screamed in my ear and i couldn't hear anything but ringing for about 15 minutes, and had a mild ringing in my ears still when i woke up the next morning.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
I worked as a roadie for a few summers way back when. I was buddies with the sound guys and got pretty used to estimating decibels. Our resident air raid siren easily hits a hundred plus decibels. What distinguishes him in the negative is the persistence. When he is on a real rip, he can scream for half an hour seemingly without breaths. It's like ice picks in the ears.

Leena

Mar 31, 2015
India
Parrots
Alexandrine - Rio, Budgies - Blu and Tweety
Rio flock calls early morning at 5.00 when I am up.I stay on the a 3rd floor apartment and have had neighbours from 6th floor tell me they have stopped using their morning alarms.
On the brighter side he is not all screams .....The flock calls are some what like this..

SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK HAVE MERCYYYYYYYYYYYY MY HEAD SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK EVIE YOU MISS YOUR BUS SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK
MAMMA RIOOOOOOOOO SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK

Silence when the food bowl arrives...then a lot of kiss sounds

RIO IS A GUUUD BOYYY

Decibels I am not sure....

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Rio flock calls early morning at 5.00 when I am up.I stay on the a 3rd floor apartment and have had neighbours from 6th floor tell me they have stopped using their morning alarms.
On the brighter side he is not all screams .....The flock calls are some what like this..

SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK HAVE MERCYYYYYYYYYYYY MY HEAD SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK EVIE YOU MISS YOUR BUS SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK
MAMMA RIOOOOOOOOO SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK SQWAAAAK

Silence when the food bowl arrives...then a lot of kiss sounds

RIO IS A GUUUD BOYYY

Decibels I am not sure....

LOL, this reminds me a lot of Barney in the mornings... His morning call's tend to go something like that, except after every 3-4 sqwaaaaks he tells himself to be quiet (before sqwaaaking again)

Most Reactions

Latest posts