How many canaries

Prime

Dec 11, 2019
Hello, I am new here so I hope I am posting in the correct spot.

I will likely be getting canaries soon and am wondering how many I can have living together. I was originally thinking 4 but im pretty sure the cage is large enough for more.
Also, should I only have one male? Or is the cage big enough to have two? The rest would all be female.
The cage i am thinking of getting is 20-1/2-inch wide and 53-inch high

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The question is 'Why are you getting Canaries?'
If it is for companionship and/or just wanting to listen to the singing of the Male, the correct number is (1).
If you are planning on breeding (Breeding/Raising Parrots), there is serious question as to whether you are prepared for this undertaking. Consider reading the Thread in the Breeding Forum, "Breeding/Raising Parrots ": that speaks to the extensive demand on time, equipment purchasing and operation, and Knowledge. Plus the costs associated.

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yes, instead of thinking of the sheer number of canaries you're getting, ask yourself...why?

Why do you want these birds? What purpose are you wanting them for?

Just because you have a large cage, does not mean you have to fill it to the brim with 10 canaries.

Why not just get....2? Two males so you don't have to worry about breeding and still get some nice song birds out of the deal.

OP
P

Prime

Dec 11, 2019
I am getting the birds for companionship as pets. I am not planning on breeding but I understand that may happen with male and females mixed so I am prepared to do lots of research.
Two males will fight, I will not do that.
I would like a few canaries and be able to enjoy watching them interact and 'chatter'. I know canaries are more hand-off birds (for the most part) and that is exactly what is best for me right now.
Dont worry, ive thought about this already.
I am not trying to cram as many birds as possible into a cage. I am merely curious how many would be happy in a cage that size so I know what the limit is. I do not want aggression issues or cramped birds in one cage, that wouldnt be good.
In the past I have had both single and paired budgies and now I would really love to have a group of birds.

OP
P

Prime

Dec 11, 2019
Also I dont know why it didnt add, but here are the correct and full dimensions of the cage.

31-inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide and 53-inch high

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Honestly, width is more important than height, and I wouldn't put more than 2 canaries at most in a cage only 20" wide. In taller, narrower cages most of the time the lower part of the cage is unused and everyone crowds together near the top. If possible, I would suggest going for a cage at least 30" wide, and 36" would be even better.

Edit: Just saw your last post (we were posting at the same time). I personally would still only go with 2 canaries in a cage 31" long.

OP
P

Prime

Dec 11, 2019
Okay got it. If I decide to get a different cage that is wider, how would 3 females do with one male? Would that be an okay combination?

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
If you are looking to have them as just companions and not for breeding maybe check out the canary/goldfinch mules. They are very similar to a canary, lovely singers and as far as I am aware unable to reproduce. That may fit what you are looking for and prevent any issues with breeding.

During breeding season canaries can become quite aggressive even the hens. So unless you are planning on breeding your best bet is to stick with one bird. Canaries are quite happy on their own. At the most I would go a pair to prevent fighting as much as possible.

Most Reactions

Latest posts