How many in a cage

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Pixel is adorable:)

Horizontal VS vertical really depends on the individual, though everyone seems to push horizontal in the avian community. If you get a big enough cage, your bird will have room to move side to side and up and down. A quality cage will last 10+ years, so it's worthwhile to invest in the best possible. My bird has a very tall (though overall quite large) cage and he uses every inch of it, from hanging upside down from the top to climbing right down to the grate to pick up a dropped toy. He can fully extend his wings and then some in it. I have perches and toys/things to do at every level for him, enticing him to use the whole space.

I will note, with horizontal cages, it seems there is always so much wasted room at the bottom that's just the legs/stand the bird can't use even if it wants to. If possible, go for the largest possible cage in every direction that fits your budget and is safe bar spacing for the species. That's what I did. Then fill it up with activities at all levels so your bird gets maximum use out of the cage.

Last edited:
OP
W

Wikidnik

Oct 18, 2017
Pixel! I love it! (I may need to steal it in the future)

horizontal cages are often preferred so they can fly a bit in the cage and run around a bit more

Glad you decided to go with 1, like you said there's always further down the line and boy yes care has changed much. I remember having Tiels when I was younger, whole family thought we gave them the best home we could. nowadays I'd say it was borderline abuse!

Looks like Pixel should fingers crossed be ready to come home for the holidays

Thank you

Pixel is home with me. Lol. Would u say he is 5 weeks. Apparently the norm in SOUTH AFRICA is to let them go early. Thankfully I have hand reared before so he is in good hands. (I hope)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wikidnik

Oct 18, 2017
Pixel is adorable:)

Horizontal VS vertical really depends on the individual, though everyone seems to push horizontal in the avian community. If you get a big enough cage, your bird will have room to move side to side and up and down. A quality cage will last 10+ years, so it's worthwhile to invest in the best possible. My bird has a very tall (though overall quite large) cage and he uses every inch of it, from hanging upside down from the top to climbing right down to the grate to pick up a dropped toy. He can fully extend his wings and then some in it. I have perches and toys/things to do at every level for him, enticing him to use the whole space.

I will note, with horizontal cages, it seems there is always so much wasted room at the bottom that's just the legs/stand the bird can't use even if it wants to. If possible, go for the largest possible cage in every direction that fits your budget and is safe bar spacing for the species. That's what I did. Then fill it up with activities at all levels so your bird gets maximum use out of the cage.

Thank u for the advice. The cage I'm looking at is 1110Lx900hx560d.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
as long as you've hand-reared before then okay but letting them go early is to save the breeder some more cash, some believe it makes bonds stronger but nah. It all stems from that stuff in the wallet.

Sounds like Pixel is in some caring hands

OP
W

Wikidnik

Oct 18, 2017
as long as you've hand-reared before then okay but letting them go early is to save the breeder some more cash, some believe it makes bonds stronger but nah. It all stems from that stuff in the wallet.

Sounds like Pixel is in some caring hands

Yeah. He really didn't seem that attached so I figure he is breeding for money. Not for the love of birds.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Yeah. He really didn't seem that attached so I figure he is breeding for money. Not for the love of birds.

Unfortunately many are just in it for the money. But you make do with what you have!

The upside is you know you can abundance wean Pixel and give him a good start in life with his mental development. I'd definitely ask Silversage for advice with Ringnecks and especially the weaning side of things, she's taught me so much about these guys. Most parrots I would approach in similar fashions but Ringnecks seem to be vastly different in every single way

OP
W

Wikidnik

Oct 18, 2017
I will definately PM her for tips. like you said things have change, I might learn a thing or two.

Most Reactions

Latest posts