Green Cheek afraid of cage

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hello! I just recently (about an hour ago) got my first bird! She is a little pineapple green cheek named kure. I have been visiting her for the past two months and finally brought her home today. However she is not very trained in stepping up. She is not afraid of hands but refuses to get off my shoulder or away from me in general. I am trying to get her acclimated to her cage but she freaks out when we get close to it. Other than that she is being super chill. Do any of you have ideas on how to get her to realize the cage is not a threat? I donā€™t intend to lock her in now, I just need to know I have somewhere to put her down :)

*also her cage is very large and one side is against a wall.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Congratulations on your new bird! Many things are probably scary to your new bird and she has chosen you as her safe place ( what an honor šŸ˜Š) What kind of carrying cage did you use to bring her home and is she comfortable with it? If so, you can keep her in there temporarily as you acclimate her to the big cage. First, is she afraid of the cage or something in it? Pay attention to what sheā€™s looking at and try to determine if there is a toy, perch, picture on the wall, etc. that seems to scare her. If it really is the cage, just take it slowly! With her on your shoulder, walk by the cage frequently, sit down close to it ( but not so closely that she panics) interact with the cage by touching it, putting your hand inside etc. Once she is less scared, try using food/ treats as a lure. You can put her food on top of the cage to start with and then eventually move it in. Be calm and patient and she will eventually learn that the cage is her new home!

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Congratulations on your new bird! Many things are probably scary to your new bird and she has chosen you as her safe place ( what an honor šŸ˜Š) What kind of carrying cage did you use to bring her home and is she comfortable with it? If so, you can keep her in there temporarily as you acclimate her to the big cage. First, is she afraid of the cage or something in it? Pay attention to what sheā€™s looking at and try to determine if there is a toy, perch, picture on the wall, etc. that seems to scare her. If it really is the cage, just take it slowly! With her on your shoulder, walk by the cage frequently, sit down close to it ( but not so closely that she panics) interact with the cage by touching it, putting your hand inside etc. Once she is less scared, try using food/ treats as a lure. You can put her food on top of the cage to start with and then eventually move it in. Be calm and patient and she will eventually learn that the cage is her new home!
I brought her home in birdie backpack unfortunately, nowhere near big enough to leave her. I will definitely take your advice into account. I finally got her to get off my shoulder so we are taking little steps lol. Sheā€™s currently in my right hand having a treat, making it difficult to type with my left XD

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I brought her home in birdie backpack unfortunately, nowhere near big enough to leave her. I will definitely take your advice into account. I finally got her to get off my shoulder so we are taking little steps lol. Sheā€™s currently in my right hand having a treat, making it difficult to type with my left XD
Well the good news is that it's bonding with you well by the sounds of it. Be patient. One of my birds would rather be in the cage than be with us so consider yourself lucky that your bird finds most comfort in being with you

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome! My only bit of advice is... keep coming back. You have found THE best place on the net for advice and support!

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Welcome! My only bit of advice is... keep coming back. You have found THE best place on the net for advice and support!
Thank you! Yes! It feels like Iā€™ve been here 24/7 since getting her. I thought I was prepared, Iā€™ve been researching for years, but now that I actually have a bird geez. We are on day three now and she seems to be doing well. I can tell that I am getting a bit better at reading her (I think). I am definitely freaking out about birdie puberty, sheā€™s not acting hormonal yet. I do need to do some more research on biting, sometimes when preening/exploring my fingers, she chomps down quite hard. I canā€™t tell if she wants attention or is just being a baby or both lol.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Also put lots of treats in the new cage, so they associate it with something fun :D.
Itā€™s been difficult to find things she likes lol. She was on an all seed diet so she doesnā€™t find treats half as interesting as her own food. So far dried papaya, dried pineapple, and grapes are my best friends. :)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Itā€™s been difficult to find things she likes lol. She was on an all seed diet so she doesnā€™t find treats half as interesting as her own food. So far dried papaya, dried pineapple, and grapes are my best friends. :)
Our wonderful moderator @onamom has an adorable (and I must say genius) green cheek and has posted loads of information about training her young green cheek. You should search for her posts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts