paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Lol I was waiting for a price list off you I knew it was coming at some point and now we have it I can't believe the price for the tres Marie amazon 1300.00 that's cheap compared to what I would pay for one of them where I live

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
You can get tres marias in the UK ?

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Yeah there hard to get ahold of but there is a few private breeders that sell them the prices are all differant the most you would pay is about £2000 even tho I wouldn't buy from any of the private breeders around my area as i think they have brought them in illigaly

Newticus

Nov 10, 2007
Scarborough, ON, Canada!
Parrots
1 Double Yellow Amazon - Chester
1 Green Cheeked Amazon - Mikey
1 Black Lori - Daphne
1 Myers Parrot - Ida
2 Cockatiels - Audrey and Amos
2 Quakers - Jacob and Fiona
1 Red Canary
1 Bush Budgie
I bought Chester my DYH amazon from the pet store I used to work at so I got a good price for him. He was $1600 with his brand new cage. He was being sold for $2400 without the cage. I find it kind of amusing that while Canada is obviously not far from the US our prices are so much higher. Even from a breeder you could expect to pay $1000-1200 for a baby orange wing, and more for a DYH. Mikey my Green Cheeked zon was $1000. I also got from from the same pet store company, except from the store my fiancee worked at. The store was closing and Mikey was already 2 when we brought him home. Really we probably should have just taken him - no one would have noticed, or cared. Pet stores never seem to like older birds.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I have never seen a Tres Marias in the UK!! A Breeder I spoke to said they do not exist here!

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
I have never seen a Tres Marias in the UK!! A Breeder I spoke to said they do not exist here!

There's a guy near to me that sells them but I think they have being smuggled in as I know you can't get them from a licenced breeder

Thats really not good having them smuggled in !! :11::11:

Trust me Wendy I have informed the police a number of times regarding it and they still haven't done jack all about it so I'm at a loss of what else I can do

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
If you get in touch with Birdline, they will probably be able to tell you who to contact about it! I dont think the Police will do much about it as it is not within their field of expertise.

incognito

Jul 3, 2012
Pakistan
Parrots
4 Pairs of CAG, Blue Fronted Amazon breeder, Vosmaeri Eclectus pair breeder, 20 Cockatiels & chicks, 3 breeder pair of INR, 2 Breeder Pair of Lorries, 2 Monk Parrot Pairs, 2 Rump Pairs, 50 love birds
in pakistan you can get these loving birds cheap ... when i say cheap they are real cheap ... quality breeders here sells on beautiful price tags

i have converted and rounded them in US Dollors for you

the price list i had couple of weeks ago for average 4 months old baby

Congo African Grey US$ 250
Blue and Gold Macaw US$ 800
Cockatoo white US$ 350
Galah US$ 700
Lesser Sulfer Crested Cockatoo $1400 (for DNA Tested Pair)

these were the prices and i had bought nothing from him as i was not prepared for another bird by that time

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
in pakistan you can get these loving birds cheap ... when i say cheap they are real cheap ... quality breeders here sells on beautiful price tags

i have converted and rounded them in US Dollors for you

the price list i had couple of weeks ago for average 4 months old baby

Congo African Grey US$ 250
Blue and Gold Macaw US$ 800
Cockatoo white US$ 350
Galah US$ 700
Lesser Sulfer Crested Cockatoo $1400 (for DNA Tested Pair)

these were the prices and i had bought nothing from him as i was not prepared for another bird by that time

US dollars are no use to me lol I live in the UK not America :)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Paul, I don't see you going to Pakistan anytime soon either :p LOL

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Lol thanks Wendy and wharfrat you wouldn't see me near Pakistan anytime soon lol the damn dog has gone and ate my passport :rolleyes:

dawnkyung

Jul 23, 2012
Parrots
Banner, Amazon Parrot
Our new Yellow-Crowned was a pretty penny. He was priced at $1,399 at the store! I know that getting from a retail store will always cost more than a private breeder, but we really fell in love with him. I also had such a good experience buying my TAG from the Golden Cockatoo that I had no hesitation to purchase from them again. They've been a wonderful help and also gave us a nice discount on both him and the cage, as well as let us exchange some accessories that we had purchased for our first reserved bird that would be too small for Banner.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Our new Yellow-Crowned was a pretty penny. He was priced at $1,399 at the store! I know that getting from a retail store will always cost more than a private breeder, but we really fell in love with him. I also had such a good experience buying my TAG from the Golden Cockatoo that I had no hesitation to purchase from them again. They've been a wonderful help and also gave us a nice discount on both him and the cage, as well as let us exchange some accessories that we had purchased for our first reserved bird that would be too small for Banner.

I have heard good things about the golden cockatoo a few of my friends who have birds get there cages and so on from there I was thinking of taking a trip to the store some time :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We rescued our blue front amazon, so we had to pay nothing for the bird himself. I personally wouldn't ever buy a bird (there are just so many who need to be adopted), but I have heard that most common amazon species cost between $500-$2000, depending on if they are weaned/unweaned and the breeder you get them from. Keep in mind that when you buy a parrot (especially a large one like an amazon) the actual cost of the bird is NOT the only cost you will incur upfront, or over the long-term. Plan to ALSO need to buy the following as well-

*Suitable sized cage- $500-$800 (pretty much a one time investment, so buy the biggest possible, and one you like the looks of, because it will be sitting in your living room for the next 60+ years)

*Multiple, various sized perches- $10-30 for rope perches and $25-$75 for natural wood (your bird will need about 3-4 perches in it's cage, mixed wood/rope, and variety of diameters for healthy feet). Most birds will need their perches replaced every few years (more if you get a zealous chewer).

*Appropriate parrot diet- plan to spend about $15-20 for a good quality seed or pellet mix (5lb bag lasts a little under 2 months for a single bird). Also plan to spend about $5-$8 extra every week at the grocery store buying various fresh produce (which your parrot needs daily) and whole shell nuts (a favorite, nutritious treat).

* Lots and lots of toys. Parrots destroy toys at a rate you cannot believe, and parrot specific toys cost between $10-$75 a piece. Some will last for years (like acrylic foraging or foot toys), but others, like wood chewing toys won't last 2 days. Plan to spend about $25-$50 each month keeping up on toys to keep your bird busy (and that's after you've researched other bird safe things you can give them like toilet paper rolls).

* Grooming- Most domestic parrots will need grooming every 3-4 months. This includes clipping wings (if not flighted), trimming the toenails and beak. Grooming will cost about $20.

*Vet bills- no way to tell if or when anything will ever go wrong with a parrot, but if they get sick or injured, expect the vet bills to be pretty expensive. For example, my moms DYA broke her foot, and to fix it cost over $1500.

And finally- new stainless steel pots and pans for the kitchen (if yup don't already have them). Non-stick pans are deadly to birds (the release odorless, toxic fumes that can kill a parrot in minutes), so if your buying a parrot, you will likely need to replace your cookware. Expense will depend on how nice of a set you choose.

Best of luck, and don't forget that not only is a new parrot a lifelong commitment time and attention wise, but also the most overall expensive "common" type of pet to own. :green:

dawnkyung

Jul 23, 2012
Parrots
Banner, Amazon Parrot
Yea, I second that the actual cost of the parrot is really only one factor in about a million of what you have to consider when getting a bird - especially an Amazon!

We spent around 850$ for his cage, 125$ for a travel cage, 220$ for a bottlebrush perch...and who knows how much on toys and misc accessories for him.

It's a huge commitment, emotionally and financially.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Yeah I wanted to know the price you payed for your zon not how much everything costs but while we are on this subject I payed £139 for the cage which is massive all her toys and perches cost me nothing as my dad owns the pet store her stand cost me nothing aswell as my brother makes them and as for vet bills I'll just get her insured

Most Reactions

Latest posts