How much meat do you serve?

GreyNickels

Oct 4, 2015
NY
Parrots
Verdi - Green Cheek Conure
Pippi - Congo African Grey
I found out that Pippi, the Grey, apparently loves chicken LOL

It is the ONLY food that she has readily snatched from my hand the first try other than a peanut LOL

So since we are trying to get more protein in her anyway, for feather regrowth... how much would you serve? would a one inch cube per day be too much? since obviously 2/3 of it ends up on the floor anyway :rolleyes:

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
I don't give a ton of meats. But I do give the bones to our conure which she loves, that probably happens once or less a week. I also give egg to her sometimes, especially when she is molting heavily. During molt I give her about 1/4 of a small boiled egg with a little shell, 2 to 3 times a week. The rest of the time I give it less than once a week.

As far as actual hunk of chicken/turkey or fish maybe she gets a small chunk once a month-it's a lot smaller than an inch cube though.

A gcc is obviously much smaller than a grey so sizes do reflect that. Foo Loves meats and eggs however.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
When ever we have chicken or fish, I give a little to the birds. I just peel off a small pice and hand it to each of them, maybe an inch long strip.

That's all.

If it's fish, I'll give them a tad more. Maybe two or three pieces that sized.

And yes, mine devour it! ALL of them...

Same with scrambled egg. One day a week, I'll scramble one egg, with the shell crushed into it, and then divide that by six birds... (there are no leftovers.)

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Haha, the first time my Quaker ever ate chicken, I was horrified (he dive bombed me and he stole it off my plate). Birds eating birds? What is this world coming to?! But after I discovered how much he loved it, I did the same as Mark. Just peeled off a little piece for him whenever we were having it ourselves. Not too much, just a sliver for birdie.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
"NO CHICKEN! NO PEACE! NO CHICKEN! NO PEACE! NO CHICKEN..." Yeah, they see you eating that stuff in my household, and they don't get any?! You'll have a "protest movement" on your hands.

FYI - I don't feed any red meats. Only chicken and fish... though some of mine would certainly eat it, it's much higher in fat content.

Last edited:

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
I haven't fed Willow meat yet.... I'm really hesitant to. I have no real reason not to than the "cannibal" thought process.... and I do eat a lot of chicken. I suppose I need to get over it. She probably won't eat it anyway, the picky brat.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
6oz sirloin - medium rare (weekly)
8oz chicken breast - BBQed with hot sauce (every other day)

....OOOOH, we were talking for the fids? :D

Mine 'would' eat meat every day if I offered it, but I don't. One thing every single one of them goes GA-GA over is hot wings. They devour the entire bone, meat included.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
When I get some bone in chicken thighs my big ones will get a bone after I've stripped most of the meat off. They crack the bone and eat the marrow, which is good for them. I usually leave a little bit of meat, the little bit of dark meat close to the bone.

If I'm making chicken soup, I'll set aside some before I add salt and serve that to the fids. Broth, a lot of veggies and a lot of noodles, they eat it up! I make it a lot during the winter so they definitely enjoy a warm meal. Just have to be careful that it's only lukewarm and not hot so you don't burn their crops.

Steak? I have to hide if I want to keep it to myself. Gonzo will try to take the whole thing away from me, so I usually just give them a tiny piece each. Fish, same thing.

Eggs with shell here and there, usually get most of their egg intake in the birdie bread or other stuff.

Most Reactions

Latest posts