Detroit
Parrots
2 Pacific Parrotlets
1GCC
1 CBC
1 BROWN NECK POI (CAPE)
1 COCKATIEL
1 SENEGAL
Ok so Dali has been home about 4 days now. I'm trying to figure out how much time is enough and not making him overly needy(anymore than they naturally are).

I go up in the morning to uncover and wake everyone(6am) and we have breakfast/flock time for about 30 minutes. I talk, pet and generally make sure things are off to a good start.

I'm at work from 7am to 3pm at the very latest. Usually I'm home by 1 or so. Back upstairs I go to check on them, give out treats and we spend a couple of hours together.

I make dinner, spend some time with the cats and dog. The cats are why the birds are upstairs. I don't want the birds to feel threatened and stressed by my overly predatory cats. Seriously these cats would never ever leave cages alone.

I go back upstairs about 5 and chat with the birds, offer treats and cuddles. Dali being so new is naturally wary of things still, but things are coming along very nicely. Bedtime is about 7:30.

I just worry if I'm doing this wrong, if it will be ok. My parrotlet is well adjusted and happy, but they are very independent birds to begin with.

Anyone care to suggest changes, share their day? I'm open to modifying where I can.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I have a longish work day and I am on my own with the pets, so on weekdays, my pets do not get as many hours as yours do. (They would love it, but it's not possible.)

My idea is therefore quality over quantity. I make it a rule that no matter what happens, Gilbert gets a minimum of one hour of devoted time with me (not just hanging out, but me giving him attention, talking and playing with him, etc). We can normally have more than that, but on a bad day, i make the one hour rule the minimum.

The usual is only 2-3 hours on weekdays and then i give him a lot of special activities on weekends. It seems to be working well and he shows no signs at all of being bored or like he is starved for attention. He has a lot of toys that he enjoys while i am at work.

That being said, when it is a weekend and we do awesome things together-- parties, parades, jazz festival, beach--it doesn't spoil him like crazy either. He gets a lot of attention without being allowed to behave poorly (the rules of politeness still apply, LOL).

So far, so good.....

OP
A

anita1216

Jun 18, 2014
Detroit
Parrots
2 Pacific Parrotlets
1GCC
1 CBC
1 BROWN NECK POI (CAPE)
1 COCKATIEL
1 SENEGAL
I'm trying to balance quality over quantity. It's my hope that Dali settles and finds our routine comfortable. My greatest concern is a well adjusted parrot. I did research about conures, knew they can be needy and loud. This bird just enchanted me with the wave of a little foot and snuggles. We will make it work and find a happy medium.

Thank you for the reply :)

Most Reactions