How much to feed

wagoncab

Oct 10, 2010
charlotte tn
Parrots
2 parakeets
1 parrolett
1 B&G Macaw
My new baby now has a name..."Merlin" but I don't know if he is a he and not a she. Anyway, at 8 weeks Merlin is eating very well. I am having no problem handfeeding him but I am not sure if I am giving him enough. Are you supposed to give them a certain amount or feed them until they don't want anymore? Someone told me their crop can burst if they get too much.
Thanks
Cindy
:blue1:

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
We need to know what type Macaw Merlin is. I've hand feed several birds and you can usally tell when the crop feels full, then feed him/her again when the crop feels empty.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Yes Cindy, we need to do what species? A smaller macaw will eat more then a larger species at 8 weeks.

OP
W

wagoncab

Oct 10, 2010
charlotte tn
Parrots
2 parakeets
1 parrolett
1 B&G Macaw
Hi;
Merlin is a Blue and gold macaw. I can really tell when he is empty but how full is full?
Thanks
Cindy
:blue1:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Hi Cindy, At 8 weeks your guy should be eating every 4 hours. if feeding with a syringe he will probably take about 30-40 ccs. The crop should feel not quite as firm as a water balloon when full. Temp should be at 103-107 degrees when fed. Baby should be kept in a brooder at about 90 degrees.

Last edited:
OP
W

wagoncab

Oct 10, 2010
charlotte tn
Parrots
2 parakeets
1 parrolett
1 B&G Macaw
Hi;
Thanks for the advice.
I guess I am doing it right. I was more afraid of him not getting enough.
He is starting to pick at a few things but I don't think too much is actually getting in his mouth.
Thanks
Cindy

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Please don't guess! LOL! Nutrition is extremely important! Formula should be consistently of thick creamy gravy. Temperature is extremely important. To cold and they can't digest and infection or yeast grows. To hot and you burn the crop. Are you feeding with syringe? Are you weighing baby? It is extremely important to weigh him every morning before he eats. Purchase a scale at any kitchen supply store, they are not expensive. Weigh baby in grams. Baby should be kept in a brooder with heat at 85 degrees.

Most Reactions