Leaving for 2 Weeks

Rioluv

Dec 30, 2022
Parrots
Conures
Hello everyone!

This forum has been amazing so far! I would like to thank this community for being with me as I grieved for my last conure who pasted recently.

Im asking for advice and Iā€™m trying to put myself at ease. But this upcoming Wednesday Iā€™m leaving for Mexico for 2 weeks and will be leaving my 3 year old conure at a pet shop day care. I will be taking his cage and all his favorite toys and food etc. but Iā€™m really scared for him since recently he lost his significant other Petunia. He has been doing fine as of recently and I feel like he has bonded closer with everyone at home. But Iā€™m scared to leave him, for this last week all Iā€™ve been thinking of bad outcomes. Like what if he gets so sad he passes of a broken heart or if he gets depressed or he even forgets me. Am I over reacting?!

Hereā€™s a picture of this goofball

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I can understand your worry. I always worry about leaving any of my pets while on vacation. Will the pet shop allow you to call and check on him? I bet hearing how heā€™s doing every day will help put you at ease. It would be even better if you could do a quick FaceTime with him so he can see you as well. I havenā€™t had to leave my bird while on vacation yet so Iā€™ll let others chime in with more thoughts on how to keep him comforted.

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2022 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
I was in a similar situation not too long ago, but instead of two weeks, I was in Costa Rica for four months. I had the same concerns and was worried that my best friend would forget who I was. I left him with my mom, but even still, I worried in the worst ways about Maddox. Sure enough, though, when I got home, my conure and I picked up exactly where we left off, and he was so happy to see me! Don't worry too much about losing your bond with the bird, especially since it's only two weeks. Just make sure that the people you are leaving him with give him enough attention.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We have had to put both of ours in boarding for vacations before, always short (1-2 weeks). He will be ok - I think they ā€œgetā€ that the boarding place is temporary. Kirby has been twice now, and he was much grumpier with the staff the second time because he knew I was coming back! It was so funny to me, because heā€™s always so congenial with me and my kids. Our big gal Sammy on the other hand didnā€™t give a flip about me, but cozied up to one of the employees the entire time, haha. Probably for the best; of the two of them, she bites harder! Both seemed happy to be home and didnā€™t act out at all once home.

I hope you have a lovely vacation!

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
So i left ablie for 18 days back in october . I left him with my mother in law . I was so worried leaving him because hes my baby .

He was absolutely fine . We did the same , took his cage set up as it was at home All his favorite food and treats everything he would need. We also video called him every other day and we got regular video uodates too . Perhaps thats something your bird sitter can arrange? I know its something the boarding place i work at offers .

When we got back he was so happy to see us , big kisses and cuddles from him ,he was a love bug and not upset with us in the slightest.

I hope you enjoy your holiday

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
Last month I left my cockatiel and my sister left her conure with my mom for 2 weeks while we went on a 2 week vacation to Mexico. When we came back my cockatiel flew right to me and it was as I never left! My sisters conure would bite her on the first day back but then it was as she never left. I think her conure still had some hard feelings even tho he loves my mom. I had some anxiety and guilt leaving them but everything was okay when we came back!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Anytime you have to leave your parrot for a long period, explain it to them in simple words, they DO understand. If you can show by fingers or other golf ball or blocks, doesn't matter, how many days you will be gone, it truly helps. I am often away for a weekend, doing concerts out of town, and used to go to China for business for 2-3 weeks at a time. Always, if I explain it to Salty, my welcome home was fine; if I forgot, well at minimum the cold shoulder and at worst a few "Get the heck outa here, Bub" bites. I do it a few days before I leave, once a day.

PS, he won't forget you! Parrots have excellent memories. And factual dying of a broken heart, well that's not been proven. Depressed, maybe. But doing the above will assure your parrot you are coming back and how long you will be.

And you will feel better about it too!

Most Reactions