How often does your GCC scream this loud? Yikes...

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
How often does your GCC scream like this? I have a 3 yr old male tiel who is super duper quiet compared to the GCC featured in this video LOL, yikes.

[ame="https://youtu.be/ST6cp4t872k"]Cheney Bird, green cheek conure, screams his head off. - YouTube[/ame]

I am thinking of getting a GCC early next year... but the above video kind of scares me.... is that a GCC's flock call compared to a tiel's?

MangoandKiwi

Oct 20, 2015
Pittsburgh
Parrots
two green cheek conures (former breeders) Mango and Kiwi
hahaha
Mine do and they do it together at the same time :eek: (I can hear them sometimes across the street :54: luckily our landlord loves my husband)

Mine got wayyyyy better after they got settled in, got introduced to new things and sounds slowly and after they got more privacy (own room)
They still go in a screaming frenzy if they see something scary (like a broom) or when the dog barks. I do think that in my case it has something to do with the fact that they are a bonded pair and used to be breeders that never got handled.

I do think screaming Green Cheeks like this one (and mine) are rare though since I don't hear many others on this forum talk much about it.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
LOL mine doesn't do that.

If everyone leaves the room and she feels the need to flock call she screams "KATLYN" (my daughters name), till we yell back "FOO" and then she is done.

Once in a while she will yell for no reason, usually it's the blue jay call she is mimicking. Thats a very rare occurrence. I don't think I've ever heard her do the call the ones in the video are doing.

Altum

Sep 15, 2015
Media
Austin, TX
Parrots
Foggy, a green cheek conure
Yeah, I've never had anything like that loud. Foggy flock-calls quite a bit when we're out of sight, but we have mostly-successfully trained him to whistle instead of caw at us, and he's usually pretty quiet when we are nearby. Lots of mutters and grumbles and chirps and clicks, but nothing ear-splitting.

The only time he really yells is if his environment is already loud; when we're in the kitchen banging pots and pans or if there are explosions on TV. I used to think he was afraid of the kitchen but now I suspect he feels like we're all being loud and just wants to join.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Pheeeew... well it's good to know that what that video is showing is not the "norm" or very common behavior as after I've watched that video several times I can... or I should say cannot, imagine what that would be like happening every day screaming at top of the lungs for that long. I wouldn't be able to handle it. I ddon't even know what that screaming is... maybe flock calling or wanting to get out of the cage... I have no idea.... but it ain't pretty :eek:

That video puts my tiel's flock calling to shame lol

MangoandKiwi

Oct 20, 2015
Pittsburgh
Parrots
two green cheek conures (former breeders) Mango and Kiwi
Yeah, I don't think it's the norm.
The video sounds like the "alarm" calling of mine. Actually they have a defcon 4 alarm call too which is far worse than the one in the video lol
I was at the bird fair and there was another bonded pair of conures that did this too which made me think it's a "protect the flock" thing.

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
That may be on par with my Suns! Ewwww. Anyhow, my female GCC is EXTREMELY quiet. I almost about her. She peeps and quietly chatters when she is particularity proud of herself. I am absolutely no bird expert, but I don't think that is typical.
-Jen

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Okay, first of all, that is VERY LOUD for a GCC...

Secondly LOUD is a relative concept. When Maggie (my overgrown red conure) goes off, you wouldn't even be aware that this little bird was peeping...

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
That's an alarm call sound to me, and it only happens (generally) when the bird is terrified of something. That could be a green box, the random object you're holding, something out the window, or the new do you're rocking.

It doesn't happen often, so I wouldn't consider that sound a deterrent considering it's a natural flock behaviour. The flock calling is the one that gets to me because it's constant, but you can train them out of it (unfortunately my birds have regressed in that [emoji27]).

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Okay, first of all, that is VERY LOUD for a GCC...

Secondly LOUD is a relative concept. When Maggie (my overgrown red conure) goes off, you wouldn't even be aware that this little bird was peeping...

Wow, I thought dinosaurs had gone extinct... you just proved me wrong ;)

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Kyo started doing this just two days ago. But only when she is excited to see me in the morning. I just ignore it as it doesn't really bother me.

Roanoke

Oct 30, 2014
Greenville, SC
Parrots
Teeko, GCC [Baby Amazon ETA: August 25th]
Wait, this isn't normal for a GCC? Teeko does this all the time. While I'm in the room.
Ouch.

And I always wondered why the hell GCCs are listed as the quietest conures...
well now I know- mine's not normal! :33:

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Mine only does that when he hears the budgies calling from the other room. He's answering them. It's extremely rare, and usually I just take him to them so he can be with them (they've bonded now after a long time of him being a jerk towards them-now he acts like life is over if he can't be near them) and then he's quiet again. The budgies on the other hand, holy cow those little beaks never stop. I have a blue one that we call the mouth because it's always her who screams louder than the rest. She never shuts up unless she's sleeping, grrrrr. She's lucky she's so cute.

Most Reactions

Latest posts