How to bond with an 9 month old budgie

rodrigo

Feb 13, 2018
Rome!
Parrots
Budgies:Ringo&Franca
Sadly yesterday one of my budgie's got really sick and passed away as i was bringing it to the vet. Now Ringo my other budgie is alone and i thought i could bond with him? Should i try to bond with him, and if so how could i? (He's 9 moths old and never bonded with me):blue2::(

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I am sorry to hear of your budgie's passing. If you haven't done so already, a necropsy on your budgie could determine if your budgie died of something infectious, which can and will spread to the other bird if they were in the same cage.

After you get an idea of what your budgie passed from, yes, you can begin interacting with your other budgie on a more regular basis to get it to become tame. However, it will require daily work and love to form a lasting bond. I suggest you read up on this thread, Tips for Bonding and Building Trust to get an idea of things to do to earn your budgie's trust.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I'm so sorry you lost your Budgie...

I agree, first thing is to make sure that your other Budgie that was housed with the one who passed-away is not also sick, as if his cagemate died from a Bacterial or Fungal infection, it's very likely that he is also sick...So I would get him to your Certified Avian Vet for cultures ASAP.

****What you DO NOT want to do is to go out and buy another bird as a friend for your male Budgie!!! There is absolutely no guarantee that whatever bird you bring home will like or bond with your current bird, or vice-versa. They may hate each other and be aggressive/violent towards each other, in which case you'd have to separate them immediately, or they may simply tolerate each other but not bond with each other, which does no good for your current bird at all...

The best thing that you can do for your male Budgie is to start working with him on a daily basis, every day, following the hand-taming steps in the links above. This is something that you have to fully commit to and not take lightly, and spend at least an hour or more a day working with him. He's only 9 months old, so it's quite possible that you can bond very closely with him and become "his person", but it will be a marathon, not a sprint, and will most-likely take months and months to accomplish. But the idea is that he already knows you and is comfortably being around you, so the best thing you can do is to try to develop a close bond with him, over time, and replace the bond he had with the female who passed away...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Using favorite treats or food could potentially help gain their trust.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUx81WHTUwk"]1 Bird in hand Leads to Many - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSm4uFZzVU"]More Budgies!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts