teaching flight

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
The other day while cleaning Lincoln's cage I found a couple of flight feathers in the bottom so I think it may he safe to say he's growing in flight feathers in addition to the couple of tail feathers that are growing.

I really really want to teach him to fly but most videos I have seen have been essentially "toss bird into air and let it learn wings then target train" and ? I don't know if I'm really okay with just... tossing Lincoln. Any tips / guidelines / advice?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Why yes! I made a video that shows exactly how to do it.

[ame="https://youtu.be/DomDr-dXZtU"]Evolution of parrot flight recall training, a tutorial on how to recall train your parrot - YouTube[/ame]

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
The other day while cleaning Lincoln's cage I found a couple of flight feathers in the bottom so I think it may he safe to say he's growing in flight feathers in addition to the couple of tail feathers that are growing.

I really really want to teach him to fly but most videos I have seen have been essentially "toss bird into air and let it learn wings then target train" and ? I don't know if I'm really okay with just... tossing Lincoln. Any tips / guidelines / advice?

Not sure of the history of Lincoln and his previous flight experience, but with him perched on your arm you can raise your arm and lower it quickly to encourage the wing flapping, then rewarding the behavior.
Once he gets used to this, try to get him to start "hopping" from a perch to your hand with a treat. Over time try to extend the distance that will require a short distance of "flight" and continue from there.

EDIT: Sorry, missed Chris's video until after I posted.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)

Not sure of the history of Lincoln and his previous flight experience, but with him perched on your arm you can raise your arm and lower it quickly to encourage the wing flapping, then rewarding the behavior.
Once he gets used to this, try to get him to start "hopping" from a perch to your hand with a treat. Over time try to extend the distance that will require a short distance of "flight" and continue from there.

EDIT: Sorry, missed Chris's video until after I posted.

I do that frequently just so he can get some exercise but I don't think he knows how to use his wings go fly.

I know 0 about his flight history but I'm assuming he never learned to fly based on he's just never really tried or shown any "hey I wanna fly" body language. he's fallen and glided before or been spooked and glided to the floor but that's really it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts