How to change their mind?

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Ok I know I cant totally change their mind but how do I show my parents that green cheek conures are a really good species? Yes I have one but she is in progress to becoming a sweet bird. She was found in someone's back yard so who knows how the old owner treated her. She is deathly afraid of sticks, pole, and blankets/towels. I pick one up and she goes crazy! Anyways I would LOVE to get another greeny maybe cinnamon. But my dad thinks that every greeny are evil! :( So what should I say? Its a long shot but I love these guys so any suggestion's would be great! Oh and I am probably not getting a Goffins :/ That is just to much for right now..... :rainbow1: :orange: :green1: :green: :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I think that the best way to change your dad's mind about conures is to rehabilitate Lilo. It might take a while but worth it and doable. You will need lots of patience and attention to gain her trust and so having just one conure for now might be for the best. Another conure means less time for Lilo, time you could spend towards building a bond with her :)

Just my 2cents and kudos to you for rescuing Lilo and providing a good home for her!

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
I'm kinda on the same page as Boom - your not yet done training the one you have so it's not really time to get another. Slow and steady kq - the best way to show your parents how great a parront you are is by doing it with the one you have.

SureAsNone

Feb 5, 2013
Parrots
GCC: River Song
I agree with the others. If you get another bird right now, it will mean less time to dedicate to your current GCC. As BoomBoom pointed out, it will take a lot of time and patience to help her work through some of her fears, and having another bird splitting that time might not be the best idea right now.

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
I'm learning that non-bird owners just don't get how unique, intelligent, and truly amazing birds really are. Education is the key to that. I spent an hour just this past weekend talking to my dad about some of my Frankie's quirks, and how interesting she really is. For some reason, I think people put common pets (cats and dogs) in a category above birds. But all 3 are very unique and have their own characteristics. I don't consider them above or below each other. Once that idea starts to sink in, attitudes change. Now, if they're just not pet people at all, that's a little bit different of a situation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts