Boomer is a Monster

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Too often I post pictures of Boomer being cute and pleasant. The fact of the matter is, he is a little monster who likes to chew all my house shirts to shreds. I used to discourage it because I was afraid he'd ingest cotton fibers that might clog up his crop but he was relentless! It's been several months and I have not seen adverse side effects. The vet's test results indicated that his general health is very good, so I let him have his way with the shirts. I just can't win against a determined sun conure. Buying new shirts is cheaper than new parrot toys anyway, haha! Here's a picture of him caught in the act:

jhbf.jpg

And since I haven't been here in a while, here are recent random photos of him. I actually bought him a second tree perch stand this weekend which he likes. It's a little bigger than the first one, with funner loops. Also, after seeing Kalidasa's indoor garden video, I wanted to share new photos of Boomer's indoor garden too. I just revised it a bit yesterday. I took down the artificial vine rows that I nailed to the ceiling and turned into some sort of vine chandelier instead. I might hang vine tendrils off it later to give a jungle effect. Hope you guys like it. My little technicolor chicken seems to, fortunately!

w7fa.jpg
g3mu.jpg

qydz.jpg
cbbn.jpg

3kz9.jpg
go3a.jpg

arbw.jpg
pv49.jpg

Hope you and your birds are all happy and healthy!

Last edited:

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
You are so lucky to have such an awesome conure ... great pics!

Kimma

Oct 11, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Flash - DF violet Indian Ringneck. Crash - lutino Indian Ringneck
That indoor garden looks amazing. And Boomer is such an adorable monster.

What kinds of plants do you have? I really like those tall ones.

QuakerMom

Jun 21, 2013
USA
Parrots
One Quaker- Piper
Beautiful bird and lovely pictures :) I'm jealous of your indoor garden! Thanks for sharing!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
You take the best pics:) your indoor garden looks spectacular! Awesome pics!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What great pics! Thank you for sharing:)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Have he been watching project runway? He's trying to give you a new style! ;)

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
WOW man that indoor garden bird room thing looks awesome! I'm gonna make something like that too one day. And that picture is funny how boomer is perched on the destroyed remains of what was once a shirt haha :09:

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
That really gave me a good giggle.

LOVE the 5th picture of him all wet, that is priceless!!

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
Beautiful conure. That top picture is priceless with that "I know I'm being naughty" look.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I love the photos. Boomer seems like a well-adjusted little monster anyhow. He has a Technicolor life in his new sanctuary by the looks of it. He looks so adorable perched in the midst of the garden.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Hi BoomBoom.
Boomer is gorgeous as ever. I love all the playful pics of him. It's so fun following your updates and photos, and seeing the symbiosis between you, Boomer, and your indoor garden. Pritti has survived 3 decades of chewing up shirts (that's a whole lotta t-shirts).
Thanks for posting the pics.

bittybird527

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
a parakeet named bitbit
sweet little baby
hi I was wondering what is the best parrot to have and I was wondering if you could feed bread to a 4 week old parakeet

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
hi I was wondering what is the best parrot to have and I was wondering if you could feed bread to a 4 week old parakeet

You know you can post your own thread asking questions! Best parrot to own is up to each individuals to decide. If the parakeet is 4 weeks old he's in the fledgling/weaning process. You sure he's that young??? May or may not eat bread....

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Thank you to everyone for all the nice comments! Glad you guys enjoyed the pictures, I am only too happy to share. It is nice to know that Pritti has been fine with chewing shirts for the past 30 years with no crop issues. That really does make me feel like I can relax a little more now.

To answer some of the questions:

Kimma: The taller plants are some type of Dracaena, specifically the Dracaena Marginata (at least that's what the tag said when I bought it). They are bird safe and one of the few plants actually used by NASA to improve the quality of air in the living spaces of their astronauts. How much of that is hype, I do not know :)

Bittybird527: I'm not much of a parakeet expert but I can imagine that bread can't be that good for parakeets especially one so young. I do know that as adults, they are primarily seed eaters. Did you just take it home from a breeder or the store? It would be best to ask the people you got it from to give you the exact type of seed/pellet/feed that the parakeet was eating. Best to stick to that food and transition him very slowly to a better diet should you decide to change later on. I would ask the knowledgeable folks at the Parakeet section or the Question and Answers section for more advice. Good luck!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I was wondering about that as well, is your dracaena also referred to as a dragon plant/tree? I know there are a few different varieties and colors and wonder if its the same.

redpants

Oct 28, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
Pepper Redpants-Nanday Conure
What an amazing idea with the "jungle"! I SO want to do this now! Just need to research more parrot friendly plants! :)
I absolutely love the picture of him wet and the one to the left of that! So conure-y! Love it <3

Most Reactions