How to Cope with Premature Death?

sam4life

May 28, 2014
Hi everyone,
I often read these boards, but I havenā€™t posted before. I so wish I could be posting under different circumstances, but my much-loved Salvinā€™s Amazon, Sam, died in April. My mother bought him in 1974 from a couple who had purchased him from a pet shop in the Midwest. He was likely wild-caught, so we donā€™t know exactly how old he was, but the couple had him for two years and said he was two when they got him, so we think he was about 45 years old.

Iā€™ve never known life without him, and the grief is very deep. Pretty much my life has just stopped, and all color has gone out of my world. He chose me to be his only ā€œpersonā€ when I was 4 (after turning on my mother), and so Iā€™ve been his primary caregiver all this time. I know losing Sam would have devastated me whenever it happened (he was my only ā€œpet,ā€ and a huge focus of my life), but what makes it especially hard is that Iā€™d always read that, with good care, Amazons could live to be 70 or 80. Since he died far short of that, it seems like I must not have given him good care! I feel like I robbed Sam of almost half his life!

Iā€™m still waiting for the pathology reports, and I donā€™t yet know the exact cause of death (the gross necropsy found fluid in his lungs and a slightly enlarged heart). He went into respiratory arrest (after something stupid I did which I canā€™t yet bring myself to write about) and died in my arms. He had been on medicine for suspected heart issues for the last two months of his life. I had tons of blood work and tests (X-rays, echocardiogram) done last June when he began to show signs of ill health, and he had been back to two different avian vets several times since then, but there was never a smoking gun, and so it was difficult to know what to do. Apparently, the only diagnostic tool left was a CT scan, but I was afraid of the risks of the anesthesiaā€¦ I would have done anything for him, but now I feel so guilty for letting him down when it most mattered. Itā€™s like I cheated him out of 30+ years of life!

Have any of you felt this way when your parrot died far short of his or her expected lifespan? How did you cope? The guilt on top of the sadness is just devastating.

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 403

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
I am so so sorry for your loss. Earlier in the year I lost my eckie at under 6 months old. I know I didn't have him anywhere near as long as you had your baby but it hit me so hard, he was the love of my life and my dream bird. Days later my barraband managed to escape while I was at work and I never saw him again. Despite my efforts. I was a wreck. I still cry every now and then and it made me feel so useless. It took me a long time to settle down and even now months on I still feel guilty about it all and hurt for my boys. I can't offer you much except that you aren't alone and there are plenty of people on here, not just myself, who have all experienced that loss and are willing to listen and help you in any way we can.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum Sam4Life.

I feel your pain, I truly do, my deepest condolences to the loss of your beloved Sam.

I, too, lost an Amazon MUCH too soon, MUCH too suddenly. My Quincy was only 5 years young when he died in my arms, and it shattered me quite deeply. :( Even though he wasn't my only "pet", his passing was especially difficult for me to deal with.

Time is the ONLY thing that will ever so slowly take some of the hurt away. LOTS of time.

We buried our Quincy in the garden, and I even went out and had a custom memorial plaque made for him.

Again, so sorry for your loss and your pain.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
I yeah, I know how you feel. I lost all but three of my flock last October due to a heater malfunction. I had Oscar as long as my husband. The cockatiels were rescues I had for over 15 years. I had the sun conure only a couple of years. I broke down and cried in way I had never done. The guilt I felt overwhelmed all thought. That damned heater-my hubby and I argued about that thing and to this day I wished I had flung that thing in the trash.

I still feel the guilt. I had done wrong. I wanted to blame my husband but I knew I should have put my foot down and stood up for my flock. But I didn't and they died. I couldn't sleep for days. I still have 'what if' moments but force my mind to other thoughts.

With time you will recover, but you will have to want to recover. Seek help. Telling us about your anguish will help. And knowing others are in the same boat may somehow comfort you. You are not the only one who made a mistake. Mistakes are part of being human and it simply sucks. Ain't no nice way to say it. Sometimes we do stupid things. We must pull ourselves together, start looking foward and put the deed behind us. Ain't' easy but don't get stuck. Seek professional help if needed, but remember what you are feeling is normal.

Honestly, you sound like you are the perfect bird owner. You did all you could for what was a beloved sibling-feathers and all! Maybe, one day, you'll find space in your heart for another feathered pet. Now is too soon but there is a bird out there who needs a perfect owner like you.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Your not alone. I 've had my nape for 44yrs and don't know who i wish to go first. I guess it would be me. She's well socialized and is often with out me for weeks/months at a time. i think she would adjust to life with out me better than i would adjust to life without her. I have lost several zons in the past year or two. Most where breeder birds who i wasn't that "close" to. They died after a bacterial infection that quickly killed several birds in the aviary. These where birds i'd raised from babies and the lost is more profound than i expected. I also lost two mature Panamas, one a rehomed hen aged 38, who suffered because of poor diet in her earlier years. The other a Male Pan who i'd remove from a wild nest back in the 70's, i got him back after he lived with some other folks for 25+ yrs, he too suffered from a poor diet earlier in life. I spent tons of money and effort to keep these birds healthy and like you, feel i failed them. There's so much to learn and being part of a forum like this can really help. I wish i knew then what i know now, but i still continue to learn everyday. I guess the biggest drawback to living so long with a well bonded amazon is the loss we feel when they aren't there to share our life with us.The whole time i'm typing this my hen nape is preening me,begging for attention, i think i'll give her some. Sorry for your loss.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I lost my sun conure, Georgie, far too early. Part of me may always be a little haunted by it. It was not "my fault" she died, technically, but i carry guilt anyhow. (The "what if" thoughts...)

In short, i think in many situations, we can say it is 'our fault' when a pet dies. (We could have kept them safer, we could have kept them healthier, made them happier to have a stronger immune system, etc.) For my Georgie, i think primarily of two things: 1) What if her odd "blunt trauma" in her own cage was in any way related to a prior injury she could have had when i left her cage open and she got out and possibly flew into something when i wasn't home? and 2) what could i have done to make the short life she had more ideal?

To cope with the above feelings, I got Gilbert and promised i would love him DOUBLE in honor of Georgie's memory. I would try that much harder to make his days on earth special and i would do everything i could to keep him safe on his adventures.

Guilt can be destructive, but if you turn it around and use it as a force for positive change, then it serves its purpose and somehow is 'put in its place'.

So sorry for your loss, by the way. I hope you find your own way to have peace.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Iā€™ve never known life without him, and the grief is very deep. Pretty much my life has just stopped, and all color has gone out of my world. He chose me to be his only ā€œpersonā€ when I was 4

Hello

I am Very Very sorry for your loss of Sam !!

STAY STRONG, We will be your new "Bird Family" :smile015:
Everyone here cares about you and will hold your hand though this pain

Take solace in knowing that most people here have dealt with extreme pain from losing one of our feathered loved ones :(

We lost our Amazon "Poe" on the same day that the poet Edgar Allan Poe died (he was named after him)
My daughter was in the hospital for 17 days and we feel that this might've had an effect on the bird

It was a very very sad time for our family, that was October 7th of last year, it was the first death that I could not shield my children from, we all cried, And I still cry sometimes when I think of Poe

So time helps to heal all wounds, seven months later and we're looking forward to our new 10 week old baby Green wing macaw

Joe

gw-joe-albums-presenting-our-new-baby-greenwing-picture12167-our-baby-11.jpg

OP
S

sam4life

May 28, 2014
Hi everyone,
Thank you very much for the responses--I don't mean to call up old feelings of pain, but it is helpful to hear how those who have been in this situation have dealt with it. Other responses would be most welcome!

Basically, on the evening that Sam died I went to give him a bath not realizing how fragile he was and this is what killed him. I knew I needed to bathe him regularly, especially since he was having respiratory problems, but sam always *hated* to be sprayed. My plan was to pick him up and put him on my shoulder before giving him a quick misting with a small spray bottle. Even though I was trying to be discrete, he saw the spray bottle before I could pick him up and flew about ten feet, landing on the floor. He was a little out of breath, but didn't seem all that bad. I wanted to wash off his feet (the apartment was a new construction, and I didn't want him to have any drywall dust on him, so I give him a quick bath in the bathroom sink--just washing off his feet and wetting down his wings and tail with warm water. I stayed far away from his head and neck. While this wasn't my preferred way of bathing him, it was something I've done many times in the past when he resisted spraying. Then, because I didn't want him to be cold, I dried him off with a hair dryer. This is not something I had done for years, but my mother had done it recently when she had cared for Sam while I was out of town (while he always hated baths, he did love the hairdryer!)

I don't think there is teflon in the dryer (I had written to the manufacturer when I first bought it, although I'd purchased another model of the exact same dryer a couple of years ago, so I suppose it is possible that they changed the manufacturing process since I had originally written to them), and I don't think it was hot enough to cause harm even if there was--I dried him off while he was on my shoulder and I didn't use the highest heat setting and made sure to keep it away from his body. Nonetheless, I'm kicking myself for using the dryer and for giving him a bath in the first place. I think it was the stress of the short flight and hated bath that killed him. Then I waited too long to take him to the emergency vet. I was hoping that his breathing would stabilize and wasn't too keen on the idea of the emergency vet-- we were in a new city and there was no avian vet around (the last time we were at the Avian vet in February the vet didn't even want handle sam because he was so fragile, so I worried that someone inexperienced with birds might hurt him before he or she could help him). When I decided it was time, it was too late.

So many "what if"s and "god, why didn't I"s. It was my job to protect him, and I just failed him! And I loved him so much. I feel so, so awful, and I'm afraid the pathologist's report, will just make things worse....

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Sam, what part of the world you in? You should PM me when you have enough post.

OP
S

sam4life

May 28, 2014
Hi Henpecked,
I just tried to send you a PM, but I couldn't since I must have 20 posts.

While I'm completely devastated, I think Sam would have been even worse off if I had died first. Unlike your lucky birds, Sam was not well socialized and he loved only me. He turned on my mother when I was four and never forgave her. He would tolerate others, but I was the only person who could handle him.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
You live near me?

OP
S

sam4life

May 28, 2014
Hi,
No, I used to live in NC many years ago, but I'm now farther up the East coast.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I am so sorry to hear of your beautiful bird passing. The first thing most people do is blame themselves. You shouldn't though. No matter what the circumstance was that makes you say it's your fault, just know that all of us who have had a bird for decades had done something considered stupid AT LEAST once:54:.

I wanted to point out too, just because Amazons CAN be one of the longer lived parrots it doesn't mean that even with 100% continuous immaculate care, that one would necessarily live their full potential lifespan. Just like humans!! MANY TIMES one lives a pretty normal and "reasonably healthy" life, and STILL doesn't live to be 100, or even 80! Individual genetics, and just when one's time to go is. Please remember this, and don't guilt yourself out over an already painful situation.

I've lost birds before and I know how painful it is. BUT my ONE bird who was and is more special and bonded with me than any pet I've ever known, is older. He is an African Red Bellied at 20, and I've had him that long. They say they CAN live into their 30's... That's like a human living to 90-100. Robin has early stage and managed kidney disease. I hope he does make it to 30, but it wouldn't be my "fault" if he doesn't. I will need a straight jacket when the time comes though. I say this because I DO understand, and it will be tough for you for a long time I believe, but you will find your way through it! Salvin's Red Lored... Gorgeous. Take care of yourself.

Sheryl

Apr 1, 2014
Seabrook, Texas
Parrots
Beeper CAG, Maui Lu B&G, Mi Hijo GW
and Bergie my little BFA in Rainbow Bridge
Dear Sam4life,
I joined the forum under sad circumstances as you did and have been so grateful for the support I've received. It has helped. Welcome. You're in the right place. In my grieving, I've come to believe that the loss of a precious little feathered friend is monumentally devastating. Even when I began to stop crying so much it didn't help because then I felt like time was putting more distance between me and my little Bergie. I've also come to believe that the human condition is no help at all with its guilt, and what ifs and self-blame. It's torture. I think only divine love or knowledge of the beyond will bring any possible peace. I look for it reading life-after-life books for assurance my little one is ok and I will see her again. You are among kindred hearts. Peace.

OP
S

sam4life

May 28, 2014
I havent yet properly scanned them, but here are some pictures of sam and me when I was a baby. He was such a good boy; even though he hated everyone but my mom at this point, he never bit me. He just closed his eye when I pet him.

Maybe I shouldn't look at these yet. I don't know how I'll be able to live with this horrible guilt and grief. He should have had so much more time....

sam4life-albums-sam-picture12213-photo-3.jpg

sam4life-albums-sam-picture12214-photo-4.jpg

Last edited:

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
The photos are adorable and i hope you will soon be able to cherish the memories without the sadness. So many "pet" birds never receive the kind of love and understanding that your Sam did. I'm sure he appreciated all the love and was a happy bird who enjoyed sharing his life with you.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Your pictures are precious. I can't imagine your feelings of loss. There are a lot of great people here and I hope you find some comfort.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
So many "pet" birds never receive the kind of love and understanding that your Sam did. I'm sure he appreciated all the love and was a happy bird who enjoyed sharing his life with you.

I could not have said it better !!

You shared your life with Sam from the very beginning, Who can say that? Not many of us, Lots of "pet" birds go from owner to owner over the years

Imagine the rock you were for him?

You are VERY Lucky to have those BEAUTIFUL Pictures, Mine were lost when my dad passed

My case is very similar, Poe was my dad's bird before me, I grew up with him also, I took the bird after my father passed and kept him for 20 years, My kids grew up with him :)

I don't think Poe could've had a better life AND I'm Sure of the Same for Sam!! :smile015:

Joe

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I'm so sorry for your loss of Sam :( please please don't blame yourself- doing so will only cause you more pain and grief. He was such a lucky bird to have an amazing parront!

I didn't have my zon very long, in fact it was a short 6 months- we adopted him, and over those 6 months he went from an angry, distrustful bird to my best friend. The day he passed away was just like any other- what was regular out-of-cage time turned into tragedy. I believe he had a heart attack or a stroke and he died in my arms.

I have no idea what his age was, but I'm sure his previous diet was a contributing factor and there was most likely an underlying health issue. The pain of losing him is still there, but over time it has lessened.
At first I couldn't bear to look at his cage or stuff and had to put everything in storage. I felt like I had been robbed of a lifetime of happiness with my new best friend. I felt horrible for what happened even though it was no fault of mine.

Everyone grieves differently, so if you need to unleash your emotions, grieve, and cry- go ahead...we're all here for you and we understand the pain and sadness you're going through.

HUGS!

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
At first I couldn't bear to look at his cage or stuff and had to put everything in storage

I didn't know that story Shirre, thanks for sharing <3

Shirre has a good point, move the cage ASAP, we could not look at it without breaking down

Joe

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts