How to get a free macaw

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
So, Antoinette, what you're saying is that they should check a rescue center...;)

Having a bird for a companion began as a rehome for me. He, my first bird George a Jenday conure, was the odd man out in a three bird situation and was being picked on by the pair bonded Sun conures. We took him in and asked many questions of the woman who gave him to us. Eventually he and I became inseparable. After his death I purchased my Hahn's from my breeder after his initial sale fell through. But George was my first love so to speak, and he only cost me food and of course, my heart.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
So, Antoinette, what you're saying is that they should check a rescue center...;)

Having a bird for a companion began as a rehome for me. He, my first bird George a Jenday conure, was the odd man out in a three bird situation and was being picked on by the pair bonded Sun conures. We took him in and asked many questions of the woman who gave him to us. Eventually he and I became inseparable. After his death I purchased my Hahn's from my breeder after his initial sale fell through. But George was my first love so to speak, and he only cost me food and of course, my heart.

Why not a bird rescue centre, there are many birds there looking for homes.
:grey:

BirdBrains2233

Apr 16, 2013
Media
Upstate South Carolina
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Powder Blue Quaker and a Moluccan Too!
I personally have been browsing rescue centers and ads with people who want to re-home their pet around the Pennsylvania area, and have yet to find someone who actually wants to adopt out their a Macaw or a Too. The people who seem to be posting these ads seem to want an adoption / re-homing fee of what the bird cost as a baby. Most of the people I have encountered up to date seem more worried about their return on what was supposed to be their pet instead of actually finding a good home for it. I would love to give a forever home to a Greenwing, but would settle for any Macaw or Too that actually needs a home.
The idea's you had about trying to find these needy companions are great and I intend to explore them more.
Love reading the posts about the needy actually getting what the need!!

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Lucy (B&G Macaw), Phoenix (Camilla Macaw), Gizmo (Goffin Cockatoo),
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
My breeder does rehomes & rescues. Everywhere around here has rescue or rehoming fees starting at $300 for older pluckers from the nonprofit rescue places in the area. My breeder does charge a rehoming fee, but also provides a free vet visit, and if something is found out in the vet visit that he didn't know about he will take the bird back without a hassle, and either give you a refund or credit towards another bird. When you get one he also will give you 15% of a cage you buy, and toys you purchase for the bird when you pay for it. The guy is also very picky on who any of his birds go to. Our B&G was born with a crooked beak, and he loved her personality so he babied her, and kept her in his office. He never put her out when his front doors where unlocked because he didn't want her to go to just anyone. We got a larger then expected tax return well a lot larger lol. So we decided to go ahead take the leap, and get our first big bird since I had wanted a Macaw since the first time I saw one when I was 19. They had a couple we really liked, but ended up getting sold by the time we got our refund. We where in the Macaw/Too room where he lets them stay out and play. They had some awesome ones, but none with a personality we just really liked. So we were just hanging out playing with the birds when the main woman who works for him, and we love to death came in the room with us to chat. She said "Stay here I have the perfect bird for you guys.". She brought out Lucy from the owners office. It was love at first snuggle. We ended up getting her for $600 which we were shocked he even let her go since he babied her from a hatchling. Phoenix who I posted a thread about which is a rehome/rescue I am getting with a new cage for basically free I just am doing some website work for him which is nothing hard or major for me.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I got my conure off of craiglsit. I was offered a Blue and Gold Macaw at a low price with his cage ect. But I feel a mini macaw would be a more realistic option for me. You do have to be careful on craiglsit because there are people that will try to scam you. They usualy will not reply back when you ask detailed questions or say you will drive to see the bird in person. Do all states required birds to be registered by buyers? Or are most birds registered by a breeder after they are hatched and weaned?

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
The rescue here in BC does charge adoption fees. The prices range from 300 -1000 depending on the species of bird.
That being said when we adopted our Amazon the fee was to be between 600-750.

Being a rescue center They only have 2 reasons for charging this, 1. proceeds going to support the rescue and operational costs. 2. No one should own a large bird without means of supporting it.
When it came time for us to make the deal the soceity informed us that our price was $300.00 because they believed we were the right home. For that we got our Amazon, a huge cage, toys, food(pellets,seeds,organic nuts a 2 months supply)and a fully vetted bird with his vet reports. They brought everything to our house, delivery was included. Also the contract with them was that if for any reason the bird was not working out, full money back within 30 days.

The cage alone was worth over $500.00
I am very happy with the cost we paid, it went to a good cause and we got more than our money's worth.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Yes some organizations are better than others.
The one here is run by a society and have a half dozen board members. They are also a public group with a membership that helps decide things. Some birds are fostered but the rescue pays all vet bills and feed costs. At the rescue there is hundreds of birds at any given time. It is in desperate need of a bigger space.
They take in any bird in need, but not all are adoptable and some become permanent sanctuary for various reasons. Also some birds that come to the rescue are in need of great amount of medical care and the rescue takes care of that. There was recently an indian ringneck that needed over 5000.00 worth of surgery that they took in and provided. The best avian vet is on the board of directors. All birds that are adopted out are sent with cages and toys and some food. They are very picky who they adopt out to as well. They keep the adoption fees reasonable and it is not a money grab.

cameronnc

May 26, 2013
I am looking for a loving home for Maya, our 17 year-old macaw. I'm disappointed in myself about not keeping her because she is a character with lots of love to give. I love her a lot but know that I now plan to go home to Scotland on extended stays over the next few years and will not be able to take her back and forth with me on those trips. I'm not in a hurry to find a new companion for her. I am not selling her but will give her to the right person. She has a lovely large cage with toys (which won't last long!) and her health has been good. Maya likes to eat many of the foods we eat but particularly enjoys her organic pellets as well as grapes, apples, oranges and cashews. I live in Vermont but my priority is the quality of home for Maya so I don't know if there are any geographic boundaries for her next home.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am looking for a loving home for Maya, our 17 year-old macaw. I'm disappointed in myself about not keeping her because she is a character with lots of love to give. I love her a lot but know that I now plan to go home to Scotland on extended stays over the next few years and will not be able to take her back and forth with me on those trips. I'm not in a hurry to find a new companion for her. I am not selling her but will give her to the right person. She has a lovely large cage with toys (which won't last long!) and her health has been good. Maya likes to eat many of the foods we eat but particularly enjoys her organic pellets as well as grapes, apples, oranges and cashews. I live in Vermont but my priority is the quality of home for Maya so I don't know if there are any geographic boundaries for her next home.

I'm so sorry, cameronnc. :( This must be such a hard decision. I think you'd get more inquiries/responses if you post this in the Rehome/Adoption section. Adoptions/Re-Homing - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

Best of luck in finding Maya a loving home. :)

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA

Please repost this in rehome section because it will get more attention there. Hope Maya finds a home with a forum member.

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
When I was forced to re home my 8 year old cockatoo due to severe asthma I developed my main concern was the right home, not money. Not everyone is like that. I have seen so many advertised as best offer. I took two years before I found someone I was comfortable with. She was a well behaved U2, not a screamer which is rare in a Too and not a plucker, knew no bad words, had no bad habits. I could have easily sold her, she would love and go to anyone including children, your post was good. If you are looking, keep looking and talk to local bird clubs. You can find a nice bird, with no or a small adoption fee but the money always goes back to the birds in need. We also included her huge Kings cage as well as play gym and all her toys. Even though I knew I would get another bird, just that time it would have to be smaller and no powder, but to me those things were Boos and should go,with her. Not everyone feels that way, but I felt as if it would be like uprooting someone from their home and taking all their belongings.

BirdLOVES

Jan 23, 2016
Great advice! I know exactly how you feel about turning down free ones, except that I'm a Too magnent, all I have ever wanted was a GW, ended up being given my M2 and I have turned down five toos that have since been offered to be given to me. Also dont discount craigslist, I got Rocco free with his cage from CL. Personally unless its from a rescue, i refuse to pay a rehome fee, usually birds for sale for rehoming have never been to a vet. I think what you posted were some great ideas that could help some birds get homes. :D

What did you search to get a free macaw on craigslist?:green2:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Great advice! I know exactly how you feel about turning down free ones, except that I'm a Too magnent, all I have ever wanted was a GW, ended up being given my M2 and I have turned down five toos that have since been offered to be given to me. Also dont discount craigslist, I got Rocco free with his cage from CL. Personally unless its from a rescue, i refuse to pay a rehome fee, usually birds for sale for rehoming have never been to a vet. I think what you posted were some great ideas that could help some birds get homes. :D

What did you search to get a free macaw on craigslist?:green2:

FYI, 3 year old post, but the point, me thinks, if someone has a bird they love, that they can't keep, they are not interested in the money! Rehome fees chase off the riffraff, flippers, etc. I just rehomed 6 lovebirds that I rescued- owner was about to turn them loose-! The four adults, I passed on to someone that has the time to properly rehome them, a dear woman that I got my JoJo from. The two babies plus the cage went to folks up the street from me. For the babies, I did take a rehome fee! But! I turned down two other offers, twice the $$. Why? The birds! As it was, I argued with my daughter over taking any money, I do not deal in slavery! Her point, we put quite a bit of money and time into giving these fids a chance and if we are going to continue to do this kind of work, we must cover our costs!
My wife's Bongo, free, original owner chose a new spouse over her true companion! Dumb choice! But, she was much more concerned how her baby was to be taken care of vs money! We got, awesome fid, two very high quality cages, and very nice 'stuff'. Our promise, never change his name and never change a few routines!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
With the nature this thread, it doesn't matter if it's old ;). I'll never forget "giving" my Slender Billed Cockatoo for free. What a deal!! Large, rare Too, I paid a pretty penny for her as a handfed baby. No plucking, no screaming, no behavior problems. I had her several years til she was just about mature, and she was still a good bird. The only reason I felt I couldn't keep her was that she deserved more time than I could provide, with a full time job and my ex and I going out of town quite a bit.

I was more interested in her future home than money at the time. I found the most ideal home - she had a large ranch house with many converted bird play areas, aviaries, other birds including toos, tons of enrichment and training sessions, owner always home, etc! I went to meet her, and it was awesome. I wanted HER to have my bird. Of course, she told me she couldn't afford to pay me anything for her. I don't think she was wealthy, but I believe she could afford to have paid me 'something'. So it was a decision between giving her the home that I wanted her to have, or waiting for someone to be willing to hand me some money. My point? Sometimes you do get something good for free. Not very often though!

seabirdlv

Feb 23, 2016
Adopting a macaw is a good idea. I found this article about Macaw named Jake. A 20 years old looking for a home, I'm sure that's a good way to get a pet macaw without paying for it.

ChrisDooley

Banned
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
I agree. The best way to accumulate birds it to take your current birds out in public.

I started 3 years ago with a Sulfur Crested Cockatoo that was flying and biting grandchildren. (free) Had to buy a big cage ($500)

I rescued my Blue Crown Conure from a chain smoker (on Craigslist) who sold me the cage and threw the bird (missing tail, bad shape) in for free. She is doing great now. $250

AS A WARNING - I have observed a tremendous amount of fake posts on Craigslist. Only purchase if you can see and hold the bird. Sending money to another state with the promise of shipping will just be throwing the money away.

I paid the adoption fee on my Harlequin Macaw from a licensed rescue that was going out of business. $450 with cage, stand carrier, food and toys. He is a great bird even though I'm his 3rd owner. He was at the rescue 2 different times. He is only 9 years old.

I just received a parakeet and a cockatiel from a friend who's job was transferred out of the country. So 5 birds is my current number.

In the process I also rescued and rehomed (no money either way) an African grey and another Blue Crown Conure.

I have passed up numerous birds because I didn't think they would work with my current flock dynamic.

And I'm the same way about rehoming fees. The bird is in bad shape and you cannot stand it = means it has no value. Be especially wary of former breeder birds which might be advanced in age but completely wild.

Otherwise get outside with your bird. Restaurants with outdoor seating, Lowes, Home Depot, Michaels, Big Lots, Pet Stores and anywhere else bird friendly.

CD

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I "adopted" Jonesy,the goffins,from a friends brother,who also has an U2..he had jonesy for 21 years or so,and Jonesy and Pookie,the U2 didn't get along,and Jonesy started in with behavior problems..mostly plucking.

I adopted him coz Smokey my TAG had passed away after 27 yrs and my home has always been a two birdie home,and I could see that Amy my BF became very quiet and depressed over Smokes passing,and honestly,so was I :( I was actually looking for a baby TAG when the offer to adopt The Cockatoo Man came my way...for free!

I took him to the vet,he stopped shredding his clothes,he ate well,and Amy and he got along like old buddies :p He was very lovey,stepped up with no problems,loved skritches and talked pretty good too.
Then his 'too'd changed..screamed from the moment he woke up till bedtime and his "potty" mouth started showing through!! AND he started to bite,for no reason...jeckyl/hyde..one moment he is giving kisses and the very next he was drawing blood. I worked and worked with him,but nothing seemed to work,and I was getting concerned that Amy would pick up his bad habits :( He screamed so much I actually heard Amy yell SHUT UP!! it was bothering her too.
I found a local "rescue" place,willing to take him in,and after a few MONTHS of trying to "talk" to these people <could never get them to answer the phone or return my calls> and any emails with specific questions I had were not answered I became leary.

I finally got to talk to the guy <sounded like a young foreigner> I went to the address with Jones,a cage,food and his toys,only to be directed to a condo complex where no one showed. I left there fast!! When I sent emails asking whats going on,I never got an answer!! I believe now they were scammers..looking for a free bird to resell. Thank GOD for this forum and these people for all their views and advice.
It turned out that the lady down the street who owns a convenience store that I have known for years,was looking for a bird after her 2 keets passed.
I GAVE TJ Jonesy,with cage,and some food and toys. She has a large family,someone is always home to play with him..he adores almost everyone,eats well...her hubby even taught Jonesy to play fetch with a small whiffle ball lol.
Everything turned out way better than I could hope for.
PLEASE! be extremely wary of rescues/rehomes/sanctuaries..

Jim

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
This was Charlie.

The hans macaw that my sister now has.

He fell into my lap and I helped tame him slowly but surely; he was seven and had been left alone most of the time. He is still a horrible biter but does NOT bite my sister. I helped him figure out that people were NOT evil.

So that is my little bit of a story on that matter.

I am not a Macaw person; sadly I'm a touch afraid of the eighty pounds of pressure behind the beautiful beaks these wonderful birds have. I have scars from my first... and one bigger is not something I'm willing to handle right now. Anyone with the patience and love for these amazing creatures is ...

Beyond Angelic in my opinion.

Most Reactions

Latest posts