How to get parrot off shoulder

YoshiSwe

Apr 25, 2017
I have two newbie issues I need some help with.

1. My BFA tends to nip/bite me when my kids are nearby. I don't like it. But I'd rather have her bite me than them ofc. It is normally if I have her on my arm or shoulder and they come in the room. I'd like some advice on how to handle this. She doesn't bite hard but it is not OK!

I have learned that telling her NO is not effective, she gets defensive and confrontational, more bitey/flappy. Diversion seems much more effective, I can start whistling, offering her something to chew on, etc. If I remain very calm, she tends to relax.

2. She loves to sit on my shoulder, and I am ok with that for the most part as she is generally very sweet. She seems to fear my hand when she is on my shoulder though, which is odd because in other situations she steps up on my hand no problem. But when she is on my shoulder she backs away 9/10 and 1/10 she will actually nip at my hand. This is inconvenient as I would like her to get off my shoulder in a civilized manner.
Now I always have to lean to her cage top or a boing or something to have her get off my shoulder.

Any advice would be much appreciated.:green:

PS. Owning a parrot is mentally taxing! At least at the beginning.

Last edited:

trimblegirls

Dec 30, 2016
Northern CA
Parrots
African Grey: Jasper
Blue and Gold Macaw: Lulu
Eclectus: Pickles
Not an Amazon expert or any expert at all. I don't think she's fearful of your hand when she's on your shoulder. She just doesn't want to come off your shoulder. My GCC does that and can be quite stubborn about it. The only way that I've been able to get Tillie off my shoulder is to lean close to her porch on her cage, she hops right off.

For me, shoulder riding is a pure privilege. If you are unsure of when/whether your gal will bite, I would keep her off my shoulder entirely. You can't watch her when she's on your shoulder. I'd hate to lose an eye or something over it.

I'm sure there's an Amazon snob around here who will be able to help you with more informative and expert help soon.

Good Luck

OP
YoshiSwe

YoshiSwe

Apr 25, 2017
How do you show your parrot that being on the shoulder is a privilege?
For us so far, but it has only been ten days, her being on my should has been helping bonding. She sleeps there and she cuddles a lot, purrs and is close to my face. As soon as I have her step up on my hand she walks up to my shoulder and starts to purr, cuddle and preen my eyebrows.

I am worried not allowing her to do this will slow down the process of developing a bond and trust. I just want her to learn that step up on my hand from my shoulder is ok and not a bad/scary/negative thing where she is being denied something.
It really feels like she thinks she is being rejected.

Biting isn't a big problem btw, I have sometimes gone several days without her biting. And most of the time when she bites it isn't particularly hard, it's more like she either is playing or she is trying to be clear with me to stop it.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Getting my amazon's and my CAG of my shoulder has been a problem for me also.
I have even gone so far as to take off my shirt just to get my bird off my shoulder.

As for nipping you when your children come into the room.
It is most likely her way of warning you of danger, telling you to get yourself (and her) away from danger.

I am sorry I can't be of more help. I can only add that I would keep her off your shoulder so long as there is a chance of getting bitten.
Even when trust is established things can go wrong. My YNA gave me a good chomp on my ear while riding my shoulder. Took me several weeks to gain my trust back. To this day I don't go up to the window with him on my shoulder (conditions that preceded my ear piercing).
texsize

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm the spokesperson for ineffectual owners, but I'll give you my two cents.
I always have my thick (Mexican!) hair DOWN when the Rbird is loose, so if/when he lands on my shoulder and wants to bite my ear, all he gets is hair. He has never tried to bite my face. I don't use hands with him... he seems to think I am my head, and my arms/hands are just strange limbs on the tall moveable tree which my head (I) perch on. When he's in the mood for being groomed, then he tolerates hands. How do I get hm off my shoulder (or anywhere else)? I toss a green chile where I want him to go, and he flaps along after it.

But please pay attention to all the great advice you get here, and you'll get lot.
Good luck! :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
IMHO is only after your parrot has 100% been trained to step up, either to you hand or a stick or perch. They have to know with certainty that the hand is to be obeyed when the step up comand is given. Only then do they get shoulder priviledges. Keeping yur upper arm strain vertically when the bird is on your hand or forearm helps keep them from climbing up. Practice the step up command a lot, use treats to reward if done correctly. It might also pay off if you have "pass the birdie" sessions with your kids, to desesitize the bird from warning ( biting ) you when they come in to a room. Tutti seems like a smart lady, I'm sure she will get it.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I have two Amazons.

if either is reluctant to get off of my shoulder, I just make my shoulder a less stable perch.
by bending over a bit, or shaking my shoulder, or dropping my shoulder and offering my hand to step onto for more stability.

I am not sure if being owned by an amazon will ever be not mentally taxing (for me at least,) as they are always testing the limits.

playing pass the birdie with the kids, as Al says, sounds like the best idea though.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
My JoJo was the exact same way, my solution? Whenever I wanted him off of my shoulder I leaned forward and swept along my back with both arms all at one time! I made sure I did it in a single fluid motion!

DerTier

Jan 27, 2017
Pierce cty wa usa
Sometimes you just need a stick :) my gcc will step up when he feels like it otherwise he tantrums and attacks if i push it using my hand. The stick is tolerated much better inside the cage, and so i also use it to get him down off my shoulder if he's adamant about staying. He's used to getting onto and off the stick though bc i take him down periodically to poop as well as do other tricks so that helps

Last edited:
OP
YoshiSwe

YoshiSwe

Apr 25, 2017
I can't use a stick, she is very scared of it. I feel with her it would be very counter productive to use a stick when she so nicely steps up on my hand in most cases. I feel using a stick with her would be taking steps back.

I want to increase the situations she will step up on my hand rather than do the opposite :S

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I can't use a stick, she is very scared of it. I feel with her it would be very counter productive to use a stick when she so nicely steps up on my hand in most cases. I feel using a stick with her would be taking steps back.

I want to increase the situations she will step up on my hand rather than do the opposite :S

Try using a branch. It is very useful, having her desensitized to a stick. The wife's Bongo is 68 grams of attitude at times! For me a stick is the least confrontational way of moving him in those moments.

Joon

Nov 28, 2016
Lotus Land
Parrots
Two adorable Yellow Nape Amazons and a Military Macaw. Double Yellow Headed Amazon (RIP)
You might want to try standing in front of a mirror with the bird on your shoulder to see where your hand is in relation to the bird when you ask her to step up.

I noticed with my partner when he puts his hand up to his shoulder and says, "step up." I'm not sure the bird can even see the hand she is supposed to step up onto. Because of his anatomy he can't put his left hand, palm flat, on his shoulder like I can; his hand rests on his collarbone/shoulder area. And when I saw him doing it that way I wondered where I was going wrong. Lately I've been pulling my shirt front down which shifts the bird forward on my shoulder. She now steps up onto my hand 90% of the time without protest, or nipping.

Another thing you could try is to lure her off with a treat. My bird is on my right shoulder and I use the left as a perch and my right holds something irresistible a few inches away.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
You might want to try standing in front of a mirror with the bird on your shoulder to see where your hand is in relation to the bird when you ask her to step up.

I noticed with my partner when he puts his hand up to his shoulder and says, "step up." I'm not sure the bird can even see the hand she is supposed to step up onto. Because of his anatomy he can't put his left hand, palm flat, on his shoulder like I can; his hand rests on his collarbone/shoulder area. And when I saw him doing it that way I wondered where I was going wrong. Lately I've been pulling my shirt front down which shifts the bird forward on my shoulder. She now steps up onto my hand 90% of the time without protest, or nipping.

Another thing you could try is to lure her off with a treat. My bird is on my right shoulder and I use the left as a perch and my right holds something irresistible a few inches away.

I to sometimes stand in front of a mirror. Helps determine what direction he is standing and see if my hand is properly placed

DerTier

Jan 27, 2017
Pierce cty wa usa
I wasnt meaning only a stick just something that can't bleed ;D i used a perch from my guys cage until he accepted my dowel. He can step up nice but is easily excited which leads to biting attacks x_x

OP
YoshiSwe

YoshiSwe

Apr 25, 2017
Oh that is a good idea, I have a spare branch/perch from her cage, I could try that!

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
The easiest way to get your parrot off your shoulder is not allowing him on it :) I don't mean to be a ham, but it really works for me. My Mr. Willie Buttons is one strong-beaked male YNA ( I had the pleasure of meeting his displeasure ONCE and I never forgot it). His beak crushed the muscles on my forearm and my arm and fingers were numb for 3 months. Imagine if he had MEANT to bite... I would have needed a surgeon.

I won't let him near anything close to flesh as long as someone else is in the house. Willie B. came to me fearing sticks, and he still fears them. His previous owner used the stick to chase him back into his cage :( He is a very fearful bird and it takes him many weeks to get used to a new branch or perch. He will step up on me when he lands on the floor by mistake, or when he is tired of his tree. I make sure to angle my arm in a way that he can't climb onto my shoulder, but when it happens anyway, I walk him calmly around the house, explain all the rooms, and then take him to his cage. He always gets off my shoulder because his cage is a fun and safe place. Willie B. has come a long way in these 2 years, and he is getting better every day but my shoulder? Just as he will never forget the stick, I will never forget that beak. (Yes, the bite was MY fault).

SharlenaSharlena

May 20, 2013
Portland,OR
Parrots
Skittles - Blue Mnt. Male Lorikeet
Starburst -Blue Mnt. Female Lorikeet
Kiwi - Lutino Cockatiel Male
After a close call with one of my eyeballs I don't shoulder Starburst anymore as often as I should. I want her to see that being on my shoulder is special. Sometimes they don't read facial expressions right or see your eyes dilate and think it means something else and can get aggressive or just out of the blue bite you. Birds are just so high strung sometimes, so teaching yourself and your birds boundaries that way you can protect yourself will help. If star tries to land on my shoulder uninvited I usually tell her not right now and shake her off gently and give her a treat or toy.

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
I do "earthquake". When I want Sam to get off, I just shake my shoulder up and down. That is usually enough for him to look for a steady hand to sit on.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My best advice is to restate what has already been woven through the prior posts: The shoulder is a privilege. If your bird does not reasonably dismount to your hand or perch/cage, etc, it is not ready for the shoulder.

That said, it is a wonderful place for you and your BFA, and is worth making an effort to achieve success. You might try having her repeatedly step up to your hand from a perch and give a reward. The behavior may transfer when you seek to do same from your shoulder.

Most Reactions

Latest posts