How to get parrots to eat healthy foods

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri
So all of my birds love treats, millet, sunflower seeds, and fruits. I always hear of people's birds eating kale and lettuce and all of these green vegetables that are really good for them but my parrots won't eat anything unless it's sweet, like they love kiwis and grapes and all kinds of fruit but they won't touch anything that isn't sweet. How can I get them to eat healthy non sweet foods.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I don't know if you've seen this write-up before, it's QUITE excellent: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Parrots are flock creatures, and I find it super easy to get mine to try new things by eating in front of them / with them. They never refuse to try something if they see it goes in my mouth, especially if I start making a fuss over how yummy it is.

When I started making chop mix, I honestly didn't think my guys were going to try it and/or like it, but they proved me wrong.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
There are lots of things we've done here.

Eat with the birds, they usually want what I'm eating.

Chop it up with things they already love.

sprinkle cayenne or cinnamon on it.

See what consistency they love most. do they like it finely chopped to easily eat? Do they prefer a larger piece to hold with their foot?

Color can be a thing too. If they love red, chop some raspberry in with it.

Sheeji

Feb 18, 2015
Media
Al khobar Saudi Arabia
Parrots
16 month old Congo African grey called Leo
Try different textures of the same thing. Perhaps they like it cooked, chopped, raw and shredded or present it in an interesting way, I tie leafy greens on Leo's toys and serve fruit on skewers. As he is more interested in vegetable. Make sure there is no other food in the cage and that your bird is hungry at that time. Sometimes all they got to do is try it.

Most Reactions