How to Get Rid of Hidey Hut?

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I will give the vet a call and ask about the perching. But really she does seem healthy, just clumsy re standing/perching, and possibly not all that bright. A human who is maybe developmentally delayed can still be healthy. Same for dogs & cats. I don't see why it would be different for birds. Granted, if she'd been like this in the wild, she'd probably be food. But as a domestic-bred parrot she gets to live. I think she's happy, the vet confirmed health.

My boyfriend in college had a congenital condition, of shortened tendons somewhere in his feet / ankles. So he tended to toe-walk. It wasn't very noticeable, but since then I occasionally see others who walk the same way. If he had been a bird, he would have had similar difficulty perching. But that is just how he was made. He was still healthy.

So like I said, I will check with the avian vet again. But, he said she's healthy, she Looks healthy, and so I think she is. She just has trouble perching. But we are working on that!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Great you are exploring options :) nice catch to change the ladder into a more bird-friendly angle to see if it works.

But really go see a *real* doctor (Certified Avian Vet) because the most of the time the other ones are either bumbling amateurs or wellmeaning dablers.
(My apologies to the white ravens who actually do know their stuff of course, but most vets are just that when it comes to parrots.)

Rehab is great if the bird is able to actually improve.
So you need to figure that out first.

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
So Weds night I came home and found her happily sleeping at the end of the hanging ladder. She was fine with that! Only, un-like her hut, (and, unlike her other ladders) she apparently viewed that ladder as a chew-toy. Hanging out rung from hanging ladder did NOT look safe to me. So, the ladder was out too.

Poor Sunny. Oh my, Thursday she was mad at me!! She made sure I knew she was sulking and was NOT gonna leave her cage. Also she yelled if I left the room. Yay! Two extra hours of sleep for me Thursday morning! Well, you all were right. The hidey hut is gone and by Friday morning she was over her sulk. Now we are happy again. (For now. Until I leave in a short while to work a few hours today. I'm sure she won't like that. Hehe.)

Attachments

• IMG_20190417_220213.jpg
    IMG_20190417_220213.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 82

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Our little guy's and gal's adopt pretty easily to most things. Happy to hear that your Sunny has forgiven you and is adopting to her new sleeping quarters. :)

Jim

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
The next time I make a tissue box 'hut', I can take a picture of it to show you how I do it. Its actually pretty simple and Skittles loves it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts