How to get them to say yes!

Birdlover47

Aug 26, 2012
Australia
Parrots
None at the moment but would love an eclectus parrot
,R.I.P to my Galah, Ban-Jo
hi guys!!!

Gahhhh so I've gotten a yes for an eclectus parrot, not getting on for a fair few months but that's okay! The problema is that my Gran won't let the bird cage inside.

She says it's too big or too messy or too smelly

I've told her I'd clean it, there are a lot of places it could fit, that the indian minors (we have a ton roming our garden) are full of disease, the weather is either too warm or too cold unless kt spring, how the bird needs to be close to the family but she won't budge!

Any ideas on how to convince her?

Would be a great help :)

Also,

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Thats a hard one!! Maybe let your Gran come on here and read through some of the threads!! I am a very Houseproud person, but I have a large Cage for Codie, which is in my Dining Room.. She can be messy, but I just sweep it up.. I dont find her smelly, although I do clean out the Cage everyday:)

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Ask her to give you a trial run? Say a month. And if she decides it's too messy or smelly (and while it is messy, it should NEVER be smelly) then you can make other arrangements. The idea being that you'll keep it so spotless she won't have anything to complain about!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
as a mother who is currently looking after my son's gold fishes and before that his stick insects, i can kinda see where your gran is coming from, for that reason i won't let my son have a dog as that'll be another adopted animal for me

also your gran might be of the era where animals had there uses and there place, birds are still considered to be carriers of disease by alot of ppl, when i announced to a work mate i was getting a parrot, she told me to wash off the mites from it weekly, when i said what about flea drops (had no bird knowledge back then) her reply was they are born with them, and carriers of salmonella etc

the best way to get your gran to let the bird in the house is when she has interaction with it!!! nut charmed phil (he was against having her)

OP
Birdlover47

Birdlover47

Aug 26, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Ask her to give you a trial run? Say a month. And if she decides it's too messy or smelly (and while it is messy, it should NEVER be smelly) then you can make other arrangements. The idea being that you'll keep it so spotless she won't have anything to complain about!

That is such a good idea! Oh my gosh, genius! thanks! :)

OP
Birdlover47

Birdlover47

Aug 26, 2012
Australia
Parrots
as a mother who is currently looking after my son's gold fishes and before that his stick insects, i can kinda see where your gran is coming from, for that reason i won't let my son have a dog as that'll be another adopted animal for me

also your gran might be of the era where animals had there uses and there place, birds are still considered to be carriers of disease by alot of ppl, when i announced to a work mate i was getting a parrot, she told me to wash off the mites from it weekly, when i said what about flea drops (had no bird knowledge back then) her reply was they are born with them, and carriers of salmonella etc

the best way to get your gran to let the bird in the house is when she has interaction with it!!! nut charmed phil (he was against having her)

We have two dogs and nonna loves although she complains a lot about how they scratch the floor :p And my Gran had a galah when she was in her 30's and she loved him but the cage was outside, so she probably thinks like you said, there meant to be outside! Tonight it's just me and Gran so i'm going to have to show her some videos of the bird and have a good chat with her. Fingers crossed :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I disagree with trying to brow beat your gran into accepting a bird especially in the house when she is against it. If that is the case, wait until you get old enough and are out on your own and have your own place. This way, your birds shouldn't bother anyone but you. Birds are a HUGE commitment and not just for you, but the whole family and they need to be fully on board with it. I know a couple of years sounds like a lifetime, but just think, that bird can live 50+ years.

Most Reactions